Plug, Tap and Thread

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings builders,

I harvested a solid hitting shaft off a bar cue. Going to send it off to a cue maker to plug, tap and thread it for my 3/8x11 butt. Cue maker is also matching the ringwork.

The shaft was mated to the house cue with a steel rod, so it is going to need to be bored out and replugged.

Question: What material should I have him plug it with?

- phenolic
- nylon
- maple
- purple heart

What are the characteristics of each? How do they effect hit? And do you have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings builders,

I harvested a solid hitting shaft off a bar cue. Going to send it off to a cue maker to plug, tap and thread it for my 3/8x11 butt. Cue maker is also matching the ringwork.

The shaft was mated to the house cue with a steel rod, so it is going to need to be bored out and replugged.

Question: What material should I have him plug it with?

- phenolic
- nylon
- maple
- purple heart

What are the characteristics of each? How do they effect hit? And do you have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Good morning:
I like Maple because usually, that's what it was. My next option is phenolic. Strong and durable but it changes the hit a little. If I make a shaft for a Heubler. I give the option of nylon. Not because I really like it but out of respect for Mr. Heubler.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have plugged with maple, olivewood, purpleheart, African blackwood, phenolic, garolite etc.
I doubt you would be able to feel the difference. Garolite and phenolic are very tough, so chances of cross threading is minimal, but that`s mostly theoretical, any properly drilled, bored, reamed and tapped hole will most likely last as long as the shaft.