One Pocket lessons..

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
I live in Delaware, I am looking for cheap one pocket action. Must be a strong mover, I am not looking for someone who relies on strong shot-making and can't move at all. I will travel up to 50 miles from Dover, Delaware.

I get my retirement check the first of every month and I will lose 300-400 every month. So, if you are a strong one-pocket mover and need another client, I am your guy. A couple of players I am not interested in playing; Josh Brothers, lee holt basically shot-makers.

MUST BE A MOVER!!!

Thanks for your consideration..

Rookie

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question,... What's a 'Mover' vs a 'Shot maker'?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the explaining that Lou.

Need a glossary for all these terms!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the explaining that Lou.

Need a glossary for all these terms!

You're welcome, Joe. But just a little more seriously, there are some guys out there in the jungle whose style of play is more like a boa constrictor than a cheetah. The movers look to "squeeze" you and repeatedly put you into such a death trap that, though you may wiggle and struggle for a few shots, you inevitably give up an open table. The shot maker is the guy that is looking for the quick vicious attack from anywhere. Even if you put him on the end rail with balls on your side, the shot maker will still shoot a long shot, looking to get balls from there.

Shot makers are the guys who will scare you the most because you never know what they're going to shoot at. And even though they're not going to make everything they shoot at, they're going to make enough of them to keep your pulse up every time they come to the table. OTOH, you can get very comfortable playing a mover and get beat just as bad. That's because they're not going to take any chances -- they're always looking for the safe. The beauty to the moving game is that the other guy is more likely to believe that it's his own fault when he finally gives up the shot.

In addition to movers and shot makers, there are also "ball runners." Those are the guys that, whether they know the intricaies and finer points of 1pocket, are going to get all 8 if you slip up and let them loose. Think Willie Mosconi playing 1pocket and only needing to run 8 balls.

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my 2 cents
you could donate 3-400 dollars a month to play " a mover"
and no question you will learn by paying attention to how the mover handles situations
but remember the mover is only playing good enough to beat you and hes not telling you when there is a better shot choice than what you are about to shoot and WHY
my advice find a local pro who plays good one pocket and probably understands the game better than you and pay/play him for lessons where you can discuss what you are going to do before you do it and he gives you feedback

then go play your mover and see if you improve

curious what others think about this

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
my 2 cents
you could donate 3-400 dollars a month to play " a mover"
and no question you will learn by paying attention to how the mover handles situations
but remember the mover is only playing good enough to beat you and hes not telling you when there is a better shot choice than what you are about to shoot and WHY
my advice find a local pro who plays good one pocket and probably understands the game better than you and pay/play him for lessons where you can discuss what you are going to do before you do it and he gives you feedback

then go play your mover and see if you improve

curious what others think about this

I think that's a great idea! Can't understand what prompts someone to willingly lose money over spending it on lessons.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Quick question,... What's a 'Mover' vs a 'Shot maker'?

The two are only loosely related.
Someone who is considered a good mover is a player adept at sending balls toward his side of the table while simultaneously keeping the cue ball safe.
A shot maker is simply a player who is good at making shots.
Both skills are useful, if not necessary, in becoming a successful One Pocket player. The greatest game on earth. :smile:

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Mover doesn't mean hustler folks.... Yeah, someone that's on the hustle will slow play it but they do the same in every single pool discipline.
Most guys that are movers lack pocket power, that's why they move so much..... Want to learn how to move? Go find a one pocket player over 50, or much older, and try to play their style of game with them, not a Scott Frost style smash mouth type of game.

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you hate losing quickly to the Josh Brothers type players... Sound like a
one pocket purist, move up it table and 2hr games.. zzzz

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Race to 2

Bet the room owners love you. Play a race to 2 for $20 and the table time is $30. :boring:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the type of $ you are willing to spend you can find a mover who will teach you to move balls from seemingly impossible places while your mind goes how in the how did he do that and you are wishing you had a Tivo in your head that you could do replay. For the type of $ money involved yoiu will be able to tell him what you plan to do and he will run several other options by you. I know this because I watched every afternoon a great mover, Jack Cooney, teach a good shooter, John Schmidt the finer points of One Pocket--of course the $ was quite a bit higher. John learned but somewhere along the line he seems to have lost the patience the game requires on the upper level and he allows people into his head that shouldn't be able to occupy that space as well as letting his lack of perfection on a shot or 2 irritate him way too much.Watch, the man that you want to learn from is out there and the both of will have fun until you reach the point that he will no longer spot you. Keep looking.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the type of $ you are willing to spend you can find a mover who will teach you to move balls from seemingly impossible places while your mind goes how in the how did he do that and you are wishing you had a Tivo in your head that you could do replay. For the type of $ money involved yoiu will be able to tell him what you plan to do and he will run several other options by you. I know this because I watched every afternoon a great mover, Jack Cooney, teach a good shooter, John Schmidt the finer points of One Pocket--of course the $ was quite a bit higher. John learned but somewhere along the line he seems to have lost the patience the game requires on the upper level and he allows people into his head that shouldn't be able to occupy that space as well as letting his lack of perfection on a shot or 2 irritate him way too much.Watch, the man that you want to learn from is out there and the both of will have fun until you reach the point that he will no longer spot you. Keep looking.

i wish i was there to watch
if they let you get close enough to watch and listen
you are one lucky fella