Vollmer cues

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,
I just want to ask how do you guys rate Vollmer cues?is it a good player?collectable cues?or both?On which cues would compare this?Thanks!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Vollmer are absolutly high-end-cues. I m not a big collector but i would rate them very high. I saw til now 5 cues and held them in my hand and played a few with them. Perfect craftmanship.
About the collectivity you would better ask in the Cues/Cases Forum because many collectors posting in that part of the forum.

lg
Ingo

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Hi All,
I just want to ask how do you guys rate Vollmer cues?is it a good player?collectable cues?or both?On which cues would compare this?Thanks!

A friend and teammate used to import them, but no longer does, nor likes to play with his, preferring to play with an old McDermott break cue. Tried a handful over the years, all very well-made, usually beautiful to look at, but in terms of playability, near-impossible to adjust to, among other with a deflection behaviour we tought totally erratic and thus hard to control especially on the modern cloth (mostly Simonis 760 and 860) normally in use here. Which appears to be why the first batches apparently sold well, but not the following (that is, once prospective buyers got the gist/there were a few cues out there for them to try). Not sure what the problem is, my friend suspected the combination of "toughening" factors such ebony forearms, steel joints, ivory ferrules - not per se unusual, though…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
A friend and teammate used to import them, but no longer does, nor likes to play with his, preferring to play with an old McDermott break cue. Tried a handful over the years, all very well-made, usually beautiful to look at, but in terms of playability, near-impossible to adjust to, among other with a deflection behaviour we tought totally erratic and thus hard to control especially on the modern cloth (mostly Simonis 760 and 860) normally in use here. Which appears to be why the first batches apparently sold well, but not the following (that is, once prospective buyers got the gist/there were a few cues out there for them to try). Not sure what the problem is, my friend suspected the combination of "toughening" factors such ebony forearms, steel joints, ivory ferrules - not per se unusual, though…

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Everybody who plays with old mcdermott break cue certainly wont like vollmer cue :rolleyes:

I try one, and all i can say is that vollmer is one of the greatest playing cue ever made :thumbup:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
How i already said- Vollmer is just a quality high-end-cue. Fantastic craftmenship.

To talk about LD is no point worth in this thread-and further allows no discussion imo. Vollmer is just using old-growth shafts! So here it s just the question if you can play pool .....or let it be.
The sentence about *indian and the arrow* is more than true :grin-square:

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding is that they are crafted in similar fashion to Black Boar cues. Vollmer did learn his trade by Tony Scianella (black Boar). As far as collectability they seem to hold thier value rather well.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
The craftmanship on a Vollmer is second to none.
Points, inlays, finish are all pretty much perfect.
Playability is off course subjective but I feel they play very well.

If you order a shaft from any cuemaker at 13mm with a full 1" ivory ferrule
there will be quite a bit of deflection. I see you play with a Hybrid Pro II
shaft now, I would suggest using the same shaft on the Vollmer because
switching back to standard shafts will be hard.

gr. Dave

jaycast16

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the input guys.i found out today that vollmer was Tony's apprentice that why their craftsmanship is very similar.now i know why the price are pretty much the same as well.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
How i already said- Vollmer is just a quality high-end-cue. Fantastic craftmenship.

To talk about LD is no point worth in this thread-and further allows no discussion imo. Vollmer is just using old-growth shafts! So here it s just the question if you can play pool .....or let it be.
The sentence about *indian and the arrow* is more than true :grin-square:

Hold your horses: you may make implications about my ability to play the game whichever way you like (and feel free to try and back them up), but note that friend and former importer (long-standing teammate, and currently our club president) happens to be someone who in his day has beaten just about everyone who can hold a stick, e.g. Earl Strickland included. What I said is we've tended to find the deflection behaviour of the cues we tried (he's no doubt tried more than me) erratic - not merely a question of little versus much, or of traditional styled solid wood (note "old-growth" is a term usually associated with trees felled in the first half of the 19th century, i.e. salvaged submerged lakewood and such) versus modern LD-shafts (particularly the popular hollow ones, which I'm obviously not known to have a preference for). Everyone who tried those Vollmers found them rigid yet volatile/hard to control - which is why why said friend had to give up importing them, as well-crafted and nice-looking as the cues surely were. It's true this was a few (not many) years ago, maybe the playability has improved. In the meantime, please understand that to someone who's been playing for quarter of a century, and instructing/coaching for almost as long, the mention/use of traditional solid-wood shafts will not do as an excuse for poor playability - on the contrary!

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More reviews on playability of mikes cues. Very stiff or medium playing,deflection issues ect.