Looking for a straight pool score counter

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
It seems to me I saw one on the internet a while back that's exactly what I want. Essentially it is exactly like the counters on the GC1 - GC3 except it is a box that sits on a table top or mounts to the wall. Naturally, now that I'm ready to order I can't find it to save my life. :angry:

Anyone know where to get one of these, or have suggestions on something else that works well for straight pool? Beads and the sliding scoreboard thing aren't what I'm looking for because you can't keep track of both the rack and total scores.

Thanks.

DPP

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

BigRigTom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is actually a good idea. You could route a couple of slots in a nice chunk of wood drop two counters in and have a 4 reel counter sitting on the table.
Any spectator could easily keep score on a match.

I might try that my self.
Thx

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
FOUND IT! At Classic Billiards:

14.1 counter.jpg

A little pricey at $85 shipped. And because the box is on an angle it would work well on a counter top but probably not wall mounted.

A may go to plan B and roll my own, but at least I know this is available. Heck, my table's in the garage, how pretty does this have to be?

Oh yeah, here's the link (scroll down the page): http://www.classicbilliards.net/html/playingaccessories.cfm
BTW, I've done some business with Ken at Classic recently, he's a good guy. An especially good resource for pool table parts and fasteners.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me I saw one on the internet a while back that's exactly what I want. Essentially it is exactly like the counters on the GC1 - GC3 except it is a box that sits on a table top or mounts to the wall. Naturally, now that I'm ready to order I can't find it to save my life. :angry:

Anyone know where to get one of these, or have suggestions on something else that works well for straight pool? Beads and the sliding scoreboard thing aren't what I'm looking for because you can't keep track of both the rack and total scores.

Thanks.

DPP
+

I kin count to a hunert an fitty..... I work for beer!! :D

td

dkindig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too...

I have been wrestling with this issue too, and had just about settled on rabbetting one or two of the counters from Seyberts into my cue rack.

My problem is that I like to keep track of rack score, fouls and the cumulative score.

I've just about decided that I'm going to do a small blackboard with 3 columns per player/team and hang that on the wall.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I have been wrestling with this issue too, and had just about settled on rabbetting one or two of the counters from Seyberts into my cue rack.

My problem is that I like to keep track of rack score, fouls and the cumulative score.

I've just about decided that I'm going to do a small blackboard with 3 columns per player/team and hang that on the wall.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean about keeping track of fouls unless you're referring to consecutive fouls. I've always just taken fouls/scratches off the total score; that way the rack score stays correct. I've never had a problem just making a mental note of consecutive fouls - especially if my opponent goes on 3. ;)

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you mean about keeping track of fouls unless you're referring to consecutive fouls. I've always just taken fouls/scratches off the total score; that way the rack score stays correct. I've never had a problem just making a mental note of consecutive fouls - especially if my opponent goes on 3. ;)

Better warn him that he is on two (LOL).

Glen

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
You could get a simple pitch counter. It could actually be part of the pre shot routine.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
.... Beads and the sliding scoreboard thing aren't what I'm looking for because you can't keep track of both the rack and total scores.
DPP

We use beads at our league and, just for the record, you CAN keep track of both the rack and the total score.

On any rack after the first, you keep the rack score by keeping those beads separate from the cumulative beads scored on earlier racks. In other words, don't slide the rack beads over all the way. You manage the rack beads to keep an accurate count for the rack and at the end of the rack they should add up to 14.

When you score 5 balls and then scratch, for example, you slide over 4 beads from one side and 1 bead from the other so that the rack count is 5 but you've only progressed by 4 points. If you scratch in the first rack, you separate one bead at the end (say, the 50th bead) and then at the end of the rack you take that point off.

It sounds a little complicated to put in words, maybe, but it isn't in practice. I much prefer beads to a counter. If there are any spectators, they can follow the score easily.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
We use beads at our league and, just for the record, you CAN keep track of both the rack and the total score.

On any rack after the first, you keep the rack score by keeping those beads separate from the cumulative beads scored on earlier racks. In other words, don't slide the rack beads over all the way. You manage the rack beads to keep an accurate count for the rack and at the end of the rack they should add up to 14.

When you score 5 balls and then scratch, for example, you slide over 4 beads from one side and 1 bead from the other so that the rack count is 5 but you've only progressed by 4 points. If you scratch in the first rack, you separate one bead at the end (say, the 50th bead) and then at the end of the rack you take that point off.

It sounds a little complicated to put in words, maybe, but it isn't in practice. I much prefer beads to a counter. If there are any spectators, they can follow the score easily.

I know what you mean but my problem with the beads is they have a way of shaking up and down the wire every time someone posts up their score. So my opponent is putting his five ball run on the wire and next thing you know all the beads on my side have slid together. Plus, (and I know this may sound anal) but I don't like using my cue to keep score. I've dinged shafts more than once that way.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have scoring beads in the basement. I strung them on masons twine(nylon cord). I made it level and tight. I use the same seperating beads to keep track of the rack and score. I also use four red binder clips that get clipped onto the tens counters to mark fouls.
Andy

dkindig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks, DogsPlayingPool...

I have been marking score on a sheet of paper so it wasn't convenient to deduct fouls from the running total on the fly. It was easier to record them and then subtract them from the score when the rack totals were added in at the end of the rack. Sometimes I get so focused in on the way I'm doing things that the obvious answer doesn't occur to me.

It looks like a double set of counters is just the ticket for what I want to do...

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
FOUND IT! At Classic Billiards:

View attachment 106756

A little pricey at $85 shipped. And because the box is on an angle it would work well on a counter top but probably not wall mounted.

This may be a bit simple but if you can pull those counters out of the block of wood you could turn them around and mount it on the wall. At least they wouldn't be pointing down towards the floor.
MULLY

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Well, I had a mild brainstorm. Rather than build a box from scratch, I went to my local cigar store and fished through the empties to find a wooden one the correct size. Cost = Free. So basically just the cost of the counters and about 15 minutes of my time.

I just penciled out the edges of the counters on the top of the box then took a dremel and made the cut outs a tad smaller to fit the counters. On the underside I just used pieces of the rectangles I cut out to wedge up under the flanges and hold the things tight.

I'm not real handy so it's a little rough on the underside, but it works. Here are some pics:

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My daughter Beth makes a set of 14.1 counters that you might like. They can be ordered on my web site and take a few days to make. They cost $35.00 with shipping. The design was completed with the help of some of the players here on AZB and seems to have been well received. The set is in a small box that can be placed on a table and used like the more traditional set of bead counters with a pencil to move the beads. Curretly she is out of town for an art show but should be back by Monday or so.

The center line of beads for counting above fifty are now the same on both sides of the big bead and look quite similar to the traditional counter beads.

AZBPortableCounter.jpg

http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/PaStore.htm

Last edited:

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
Nice Counter.

My daughter Beth makes a set of 14.1 counters that you might like. They can be ordered on my web site and take a few days to make. They cost $35.00 with shipping. The design was completed with the help of some of the players here on AZB and seems to have been well received. The set is in a small box that can be placed on a table and used like the more traditional set of bead counters with a pencil to move the beads. Curretly she is out of town for an art show but should be back by Monday or so.

The center line of beads for counting above fifty are now the same on both sides of the big bead and look quite similar to the traditional counter beads.

I LIKE THAT. That's really cool. $35.00 shipped??? I may have to have one of those. Kewl!

But ... what is the string (wire) in the middle for?

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys :)

I have an idea for you guys that would be good for the counters, but can be used in a scoreboard that would allow the players to keep track of the scores and of high runs in the game :)

The counter box idea can be simply copied at home, but made in a larger and more and although it uses 10x pairs of counters, it would be good for the players that want to keep track of the game scores and high runs in a slighty more details fashion, but at the same time, keeping it simple :)

Edit - Here's a pic of an alternative version of straight pool scoreboard that I've had in mind :thumbup:

It's just an idea that came to me whilst replying to this thread initially and decided to put the indea into a pic and thought it would be worth mentioning :)

Willie

Attachments

• Straight Pool Scoreboard Example 1.jpg
    Straight Pool Scoreboard Example 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4,396
Last edited: