What's wrong with Lucasi?

smokyvocals

Registered
i'm a recreational banger. Last year, I bought a beautiful Lucasi cue for $400. My wife thought I was crazy to pay THAT MUCH for a pool cue. Growing up on the west side of Cleveland, all the hustlers in the hall had Lucasi's, so naturally, I always assumed they were elite. I like my cue, but since joining this forum, I see you guys all talking about spending thousands of dollars for a cue. And almost "spitting " at the word "Lucasi". So my question: Is there really such a difference? And, if so, why is a $400 Lucasi considered junk? What am I missing here?

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
IMO, and i'm speaking with the mindset of someone from the Philippines (as i am). here, in our country, lucasi i just like a shade more than a cuetec and hasn't really earned so much patronage. because for $400, we can already provide them a very, very decent custom player. lucasi is NOT junk of course. it is a nice cue. it's just that here in our country, value for you money is the main determinant. it's like 'why would i buy a production cue when for the same amount i could get myself a very nice custom cue which i can customize for my own preference?' i hope you get what i mean. again. i am just speaking based on where i come from and what most of our players here think of it. :)

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
i'm a recreational banger. Last year, I bought a beautiful Lucasi cue for $400. My wife thought I was crazy to pay THAT MUCH for a pool cue. Growing up on the west side of Cleveland, all the hustlers in the hall had Lucasi's, so naturally, I always assumed they were elite. I like my cue, but since joining this forum, I see you guys all talking about spending thousands of dollars for a cue. And almost "spitting " at the word "Lucasi". So my question: Is there really such a difference? And, if so, why is a $400 Lucasi considered junk? What am I missing here?

Nothing wrong with them, a good lower end cue. Didn't know they even had a 400 dollar model. I see a lot of them used in the 90-200 range, mostly about 125-150.

Play with what makes you happy, its just a game. Personally I'm happier spending my 400 on something else. In catalog cues I'd pick a schon at that price, or go with a joss in the 200 range. That probably has more to do with my age than actual performance of the cue.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for a low end production cue, they are good cue.

Nobody here is spitting on them. They are what they are.

If you can get a cue for $400 that you like, who cares what anyone thinks?

All cues are just a stick of wood, play the game. Tips and shafts are the most important thing for me.

Ken

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've said it many times. I love Lucasi's. I love the way they hit. For a production cue every one I own is flawless. Nothing wrong with them at all IMO.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Where did someone say Lucasi was junk?I have never played with one myself but know others that have and they really liked them.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Play with what you like and what leaves money left over for table time. That's what will make you a better player.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Why do you care what others think? If you like the way it plays and are comfortable with what you paid for it, what else matters?

It's a tool, like a hammer or a gun.

:cool:

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that Lucasi cues hit fine. Then again, I don't have much experience with their line of cues from Uni-loc joints and afterwards. I own three pre Uni-loc 5/16x18 piloted Lucasi cues with red joint collars and they are solid hitting cues. I have hit with one Lucasi that was produced around the time they switched joints and it hit very similar to their cues before the switch. I believe they hit a bit softer than what I am used to and are quite consistent playing cues.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have said this many times! For the dollar Lucasi makes the best cue! They look good and play decent.

Orion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinese vs. American?

If you are ok with a chinese cue and find a Lucasi you like then go for it. The resale might not be quite as good as an American cue but if you don't plan on reselling it what does that matter? There are alot of people playing with Lucasi cues who love em.

Orion

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Stay Out of China

* The biggest thing is the value for the money. For $400 you get get a custom cue builders sneaky pete. It won't look as nice as a $400 Lucasi, but it will last longer, be worth more, and it was made in the USA. I know that China is not using the best wood, nor making enough cuts on shafts to ensure reliablity over the years. China has had problems with Drywall, baby food, dog food, childrens candy, etc. being recalled over the past 5 years. There is no quality control anymore. I'm not buying anything from China anymore. (or at least trying not to) This is is not an asian thing, I will still buy Toyotas and Hondas from Japan. It is strictly a China thing. Don't give them your business. You don't even have to buy American, there are plenty of fine cue makers in Italy, Germany, Phillipines, etc. Heck, we have many custom production cue makers that would be a much better deal than a Lucasi. One off the top of my head is Jacoby Cue in Wisconsin.

* Here is a perfect example buying quality first. I bought a used burton spain cue 35 years ago for $150. (lot of cash for a 15 year old) No points, and only a few micarta dots on the cue. Pretty basic, but it was made by a pro, a guy who sold cue blanks to Balabushka at one time. Now the cue is worth $2000 according to the blue book of cues. And is straight as an arrow. And it plays awesome. I'll bring it to DCC if anyone wants to give it a try. I just dropped it off at Joel Hercek's to completely refinish it. (yeah, I know that hurts the value a little but I"m never selling it and I want it to look nice again) And I'd rather have one great cue than 10 average ones.

In 10 years what will the $400 Lucasi be worth, how long will that shaft last? Heck, how long will the butt last?? It will be a throw away, that you will sell for a few bucks, or you will turn into a break cue so you can get a custom made cue. I'm going to leave my Spain, Hercek, and original Schuler cues to my kid one day and hopefully he leaves him to his kid as well !!!!!

I"m only trying to inform with some solid information. Of course, if you like your cue, by all means play with it, it is not crap, just not up to par with the quality of custom cues available today. And maybe consider some other options on your next cue purchase as well. I'm sure there were lots of people who drove Yugo's and Vega's in the day that realized for a few more bucks that could have gotten a lot better car.

PMS

Banned
"Lucasi", my question: Is there really such a difference? And, if so, why is a $400 Lucasi considered junk? What am I missing here?
After an extensive product comparason using information gathered from the internet, here are my findings:
Levels 1 - 5 of each brand listed below: Equal
Lucasi, Meucci, Viking, McDermott, Schon, Predator, Falcon Cues

Last edited: