10 Ball rules?

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in 10 ball call shot:
can you call just a shot, make a ball and leave the opponent with next shot?
I know you can do it in call shaft 8 ball, but unsure about 10 ball
thanks

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
in 10 ball call shot:
can you call just a shot, make a ball and leave the opponent with next shot?
I know you can do it in call shaft 8 ball, but unsure about 10 ball
thanks

First off, ten ball is a call shot game. No need to qualify it as "call shot" ten ball.

The answer to your question is no you cannot make a ball and leave your opponent with the next shot - unless he chooses to take it and not pass it back.

The applicable rules are 9.6 and 9.7:

9.6 Safety
The shooter, after the break at anytime may call “safety” which permits him to make contact with the legal object ball without pocketing a ball and end his inning. However, if the shooter pockets the legal object ball the incoming player has the option to play the shot as left, or hand it back to his opponent. (See 9.7 Wrongfully Pocketed Balls which also applies during a safety.)

9.7 Wrongfully Pocketed Balls
If a player misses his intended ball and pocket, and either makes the nominated ball in the wrong pocket or pockets another ball, his inning has finished and the incoming player has the option to take the shot as is, or hand it back to his opponent.

Last edited:

Brandon B.

Registered
I know ten ball is a call shot game, some odd reason, I was watching a 10 ball event on youtube with Dennis Orcollo and Ralf Souquet and Dennis was shooting and fluked I believe the two ball in, but Dennis was still at the table and ran out the rack. I thought it was strange, but I guess some 10 ball events are not called shot?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I know ten ball is a call shot game, some odd reason, I was watching a 10 ball event on youtube with Dennis Orcollo and Ralf Souquet and Dennis was shooting and fluked I believe the two ball in, but Dennis was still at the table and ran out the rack. I thought it was strange, but I guess some 10 ball events are not called shot?

Brandon, I don't know of any top level pro event that would have a field full of guys like Ralf and Dennis that plays slop 10 Ball. If he didn't call the two it is possible Ralf optioned to give the table back to Dennis.

Brandon B.

Registered
More than likely you are probably right. Strange that Ralf would give the option back to Dennis shoot what looked and was a shot that was makeable. Thanks again.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
More than likely you are probably right. Strange that Ralf would give the option back to Dennis shoot what looked and was a shot that was makeable. Thanks again.

Yeah, but perhaps though the shot was doable, maybe Ralf didn't like his chances of getting on the next ball. Just guessing here. ;)

Brandon B.

Registered
Lol, yeah looking back at the video, Ralf more than likely gave the shot back...because even the commentators were saying that the safety looked better but Dennis made a great shot and developed the rack.

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw a video last night where efren reyes misses the 10 ball in the top corner pocket but it bounces off 2 rails and goes in the opposite bottom corner pocket. This was the first 10 ball match I'd seen so I assumed the rules were the same as 9ball where slop counts.

He won that rack and diliberto even commented "he got lucky there".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Basically its "9 ball" (+1), with no "Slop Counts" stuff.. Playing the number rotation. So am I correct in thinking that if your on the 2 Ball, you cannot Carom your 2 into say the 8, and continue your inning, unless the 2 goes in also (per called shot), correct?:embarrassed2:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
So Basically its "9 ball" (+1), with no "Slop Counts" stuff.. Playing the number rotation. So am I correct in thinking that if your on the 2 Ball, you cannot Carom your 2 into say the 8, and continue your inning, unless the 2 goes in also (per called shot), correct?:embarrassed2:

No.

If you call the 2 and it goes in the nominated pocket, then the 8 stays down and you continue to shoot. Or you can call the 8, making a good hit on the 2 and pocketing the 8 in the called pocket. The 2 stays down and you continue your inning. You cannot call both balls.

If you call the 8, all that matters is the 8 goes in the called pocket. Whether or not the 2 goes in, you continue. Same if you call the 2. If you make the 2 then it doesn't matter if the 8 also goes.

Last edited:

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball game rule.

Whats the standardized rules for 10 ball?

Ten ball is a call shot game played with ten object balls numbered one through ten and the cue ball. You shoot the balls in ascending numerical order. The 10-ball is the game
winning ball. The object of the game is to pocket the 10-ball on any legal shot after the
break. The game is played by two players or two teams.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
Brandon, I don't know of any top level pro event that would have a field full of guys like Ralf and Dennis that plays slop 10 Ball. If he didn't call the two it is possible Ralf optioned to give the table back to Dennis.

There have been a couple events I know of with top pros on the roster and in which they were not required to call ball or pocket.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
What happens if they miss their shot and hang you without calling safe?

If for any reason your opponent does anything without indicating their intention first it is your choice as the incoming player to either take what you are left with or give it back to your opponent.

It is recommended that you always call a pocket.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
What happens if they miss their shot and hang you without calling safe?

If no foul occurs, the incoming player must take the balls in position according to WPA rules. Here is the rule (9.8):

9.8 Continuing Play
If the shooter legally pockets a called/nominated ball on a shot (except a push out, see 9.4 Second Shot of the Rack – Push Out), any additional balls pocketed remain pocketed (except the ten ball; see 9.9 Spotting Balls), and he continues at the table for the next shot. If he legally pockets the called ten ball on any shot (except a push out), he wins the rack. If the shooter fails to pocket the called ball or fouls, play passes to the other player, and if no foul was committed, the incoming player must play the cue ball from the position left by the other player.

Now some events, such as the SBE, have played with the so called WPA+ rules. The primary difference is in WPA+ rules the incoming player has the option on ANY miss. This takes the two way shot out of the game that is still there under the WPA rules. But what is odd to me about the WPA rules is that there really is no reason to ever actually call a safety, and this seems strange for a call shot game.

There have been a couple events I know of with top pros on the roster and in which they were not required to call ball or pocket.

A couple of events with top level pros on the roster is not the same thing as a "top level pro event", which is what I referred to. Think US Open 10 Ball Championship. ;)

I stand by my statement - no top level professional event plays slop 10 Ball.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
If no foul occurs, the incoming player must take the balls in position according to WPA rules. Here is the rule (9.8):

Now some events, such as the SBE, have played with the so called WPA+ rules. The primary difference is in WPA+ rules the incoming player has the option on ANY miss. This takes the two way shot out of the game that is still there under the WPA rules. But what is odd to me about the WPA rules is that there really is no reason to ever actually call a safety, and this seems strange for a call shot game.

A couple of events with top level pros on the roster is not the same thing as a "top level pro event", which is what I referred to. Think US Open 10 Ball Championship. ;)

I stand by my statement - no top level professional event plays slop 10 Ball.

I can't be sure but I think one of them is Turning Stone which may not be at the level of any US Open event but still draws the creme of the crop. Some of the events may not be BCA point tournaments but that certainly isn't a reason to throw them by the wayside.