Mike sigel meucci?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now, I've seen LOTS of old tournament footage of Mike Sigel playing pool. He was always using a JOSS cue.

I've heard that MIKE did in fact play with a Meucci cue and do well with one but I've personally never seen any footage/photos.

Does anyone have any photos of SIGEL playing with a Meucci cue that you can share? I'm genuinely curious to see what that particular cue looked like.

Matt <---Sigel fan

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Now, I've seen LOTS of old tournament footage of Mike Sigel playing pool. He was always using a JOSS cue.

I've heard that MIKE did in fact play with a Meucci cue and do well with one but I've personally never seen any footage/photos.

Does anyone have any photos of SIGEL playing with a Meucci cue that you can share? I'm genuinely curious to see what that particular cue looked like.

Matt <---Sigel fan

If memory serves me...Meucci had a Sigel series cue called "Captain Hook" and it actually had hook inlays in the butt sleeve.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
IIRC, there were several players that cue lines with Meucci. There were several cues within each separate line - and they were designated by the players Initials, for example - Jim Rempe = JR

Here are the ones I remember.

Jim Rempe - JR
Buddy Hall - BH
David Howard - DH
Earl Strickland - ES
Loree Jone Jones - LJ

I'm not sure if Mike Sigel had his own line with Meucci, but it wouldn't surprise me.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci

Meucci model 'The Hook', named after Mike 'Captain Hook' Sigel. I used to own an original when I first got into play pool. Wish I would have kept that cue.

Here is Proficient's gallery picture of one...
The Hook

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
If memory serves me...Meucci had a Sigel series cue called "Captain Hook" and it actually had hook inlays in the butt sleeve.

It was the 1st nice cue i ever owned. Paid $425 for it in 1989...it actually made me think more about safety play..lol...:D

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah...., Mike was using a JOSS when those came out.

I think Meucci probably just capitolized on Mike's success a bit. (Shocker, right?)

I want to see the actual CUSTOM Meucci Mike was using when he actually played with one. I'm pretty sure even though there was an MS series...(which was out in the 80's)...Mike never used them because he played with JOSS in the early 80s (a nice one at that).

Keep 'em coming though. I'm sure somebody has an old photo somewhere.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Matt

There is also the possibility that Mike played with a Meucci in 1992-1993 during the World Team Billiards competition. Meucci was the title sponsor for that event, and I believe that the players played with Meucci cues. I have some of those matches on video. I'll look at them later today to see what cue Mike is playing with.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bet even money he either has a JOSS or a GINA (saw him play in a 90's US OPEN w/ a beautiful GINA not long before he retired from pool).

A lot of good players were using MEUCCI's during that time though David. Nick Varner and the rest.

Remember the old tv commercial's ESPN used to play?

"It's going to have to be a Meucci"

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Matt <---Sigel fan

I have this to add. I was at the Red's tournaments in the early 1980's. It was probably 1982 or 83 when I saw MS playing with a Meucci. He didn't like it. He was changing shafts and looking at it like he hated it. He was playing a match with a guy called Gabby and losing. In the middle of the match MS had someone go get his Joss and he finished the match with the Joss. The reason this sticks out in my mind so much was Bob Meucci's reaction. He was really pissed and later Bob and Mike were in a corner of the room with arms flying as they had a heated conversation. Mike played the rest of the tournament with the Joss.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bet even money he either has a JOSS or a GINA (saw him play in a 90's US OPEN w/ a beautiful GINA not long before he retired from pool).

A lot of good players were using MEUCCI's during that time though David. Nick Varner and the rest.

All those players were a stable of players by Meucci. At one point it seemed every known player was working for Meucci. I will add, nothing wrong with that. No other cue company really paid the players to play with their cues. David Howard hated his Meucci and always played with his McDermott when ever he was out gambling even when he was working for Meucci. As much as he played with a McDermott I don't think they paid him anything. Maybe gave him a few cues he could sell but that was about it. Meucci at least did try to provide some income for the players and that I guess was admirable.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Meucci at least did try to provide some income for the players and that I guess was admirable.

I had a conversation with David Howard this past weekend about that very subject, and he seemed very grateful for the way Bob helped the players back then. David said that back then, Bob Meucci was one of the few guys that "got it".

Last edited:

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
meucci

I once had a meucci cue ,jim rempe make a good friend of mine went to his hall of fame dinner and got him to sign the shaft. [treasure!!!!]:thumbup:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
IIRC, there were several players that cue lines with Meucci. There were several cues within each separate line - and they were designated by the players Initials, for example - Jim Rempe = JR

Here are the ones I remember.

Jim Rempe - JR
Buddy Hall - BH
David Howard - DH
Earl Strickland - ES
Loree Jone Jones - LJ

I'm not sure if Mike Sigel had his own line with Meucci, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The only one I can think to add is Larry Hubbart

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
The only one I can think to add is Larry Hubbart

I think that I left out Nick Varner also.

I know that Bob Meucci had planned a line for Louie Roberts. I remember the Meucci that Louie had - I guess that line of cues never materialized.

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had that Gina Cue until I sold it to a friend of mine along with Mikes Flowers case. I would post pictures of the cue and case but I don't know how!:mad:

no-sho

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gabby

I have this to add. I was at the Red's tournaments in the early 1980's. It was probably 1982 or 83 when I saw MS playing with a Meucci. He didn't like it. He was changing shafts and looking at it like he hated it. He was playing a match with a guy called Gabby and losing. In the middle of the match MS had someone go get his Joss and he finished the match with the Joss. The reason this sticks out in my mind so much was Bob Meucci's reaction. He was really pissed and later Bob and Mike were in a corner of the room with arms flying as they had a heated conversation. Mike played the rest of the tournament with the Joss.

Does anyone have any stories about gabby? I heard he was the best black pool player in houston for a long time. They say he would run racks real smooth.

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
I think that I left out Nick Varner also.

I know that Bob Meucci had planned a line for Louie Roberts. I remember the Meucci that Louie had - I guess that line of cues never materialized.

At The Sports Center in St. Louis, I remember seeing a Meucci with factory lettering that had Louies name on it. They made at least one for Louie.

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any stories about gabby? I heard he was the best black pool player in houston for a long time. They say he would run racks real smooth.

I saw Gabby play a few times around 1977 or 78 at the original Hardtimes in Costa Mesa off Newport Blvd. I never got to see Keith match up with
Gabby but word had it that Gabby needed the last 2 or the 8. That was when Evil was feared by everyone especially on the box...
Your absolutely correct Gabby was the smoothest player I ever saw and Humdinger Lynn look pretty good hanging on his arm.:thumbup:

no-sho

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
hmmmmm

Sounds like a pretty 'out there' story to me. I'd have to have Bob or Mike confirm something like that.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
The guy Meucci should be honoring today is Dennis Hatch. I've seen the old lock and key design on a couple magazine covers because of his playing.

I remember St Louie Louie's name on a George case, but I never saw it on a Meucci.