2017 World Chinese 8 Ball Masters...who has info?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is a huge tourney next week, who has info? not much online, I think Ronnie O and Shane are in this

streaming?
entrants?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow

only Jeffrey Ignacio Philippines, no Taiwanese, no Snooker players and only Shane and Corey from the USA

almost appears as if people have recognized how tough it is to win at this game

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
wow

only Jeffrey Ignacio Philippines, no Taiwanese, no Snooker players and only Shane and Corey from the USA

Or that it is a carnival game & deserves no attention

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is a huge tourney next week, who has info? not much online, I think Ronnie O and Shane are in this

streaming?
entrants?
Somebody posted links to the stream last year. I'm sure the same will happen this year. Stream quality last year varied from pretty good to buffer-city. Some Chinese commentary, some in English. Brutal game. IMO i'd rather play either pool or snooker, not this hybrid.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow

Well you have this event which was scheduled after Appleton had already announced his event. Shane is there because he was signed by Joy. The other few who travel from the US are at Appleton's and or see no reason for the expense. The Taiwanese probably were not welcome. Wasn't this the tournament that all that WPA contract talk at the US Open was about, that players had to sign, or was that for another Chinese event?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you picture a couple of mid-level league players playing this? One game could take FOREVER. I've read that something like 60million play it there. I imagine even the short-stops play like Houdini if all they play on are these brutal tables.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you picture a couple of mid-level league players playing this? One game could take FOREVER. I've read that something like 60million play it there. I imagine even the short-stops play like Houdini if all they play on are these brutal tables.

Yeah I wonder if where you read that at was from people who used the same statistical methodology as the BCA used for years saying pool was the most "played" "sport" in the US, or whatever that inflated misleading stat was they used to throw around.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I wonder if where you read that at was from people who used the same statistical methodology as the BCA used for years saying pool was the most "played" "sport" in the US, or whatever that inflated misleading stat was they used to throw around.
Yeah I hear ya'. I was kinda thinking same thing when i read those numbers. Pool is big in both Taiwan and on the mainland so its possible that figure is not too far off. If they ever field a Mosconi team the rest of the world is in trouble.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering why Shane wasn't at Turning Stones this week. I guess he wont be at Darren's 8ball event either.

Or that it is a carnival game & deserves no attention

Lol. Let's see how SVB, the world's greatest pool player, apparently, handles a game of skill and precision. Not very well would be my guess.

Nothing demonstrates the poverty of American cueing better than Chinese 8 ball.

wow

I think there are two sponsors, joy and star, with each holding similar comps. I think the snooker players etc play in the other one.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes that sounds about right although I believe Joy has (had?) Stephen Hendry for a while

also don't seem to see any other big Chinese 8 Ball tourneys on the horizon:confused:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes that sounds about right although I believe Joy has (had?) Stephen Hendry for a while

also don't seem to see any other big Chinese 8 Ball tourneys on the horizon:confused:

I thought they did too, but don't see his name on the list.

To be fair he never took it seriously anyway, which is a shame, it would have been interesting to see how he'd cope if he really wanted it.

It's also a shame there aren't more tournaments, I think they are great to watch (well there probably are, we just don't get to hear about them)!

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Lol. Let's see how SVB, the world's greatest pool player, apparently, handles a game of skill and precision. Not very well would be my guess.

Nothing demonstrates the poverty of American cueing better than Chinese 8 ball.

I says on that site for the event that he actually got a chinese 8-ball table at his place in SD, if he is actually focusing on the game and practicing on the actual equipment he might surprise some people. While I doubt he will be the next Potts he might be competitive against most.