"Poolology", Maybe the best $10 ever spent!

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm starting this thread again because the first one ended way too early and for no good reason. Brian Crist's book; "Poolology" is absolutely genius and maybe the best $10 (ebook) you'll ever spend for a book with the purpose of helping you make shots at the game of pocket pool. This is a work that you can read the first few chapters and instantly put it to use on the table. There is no pivoting, and he doesn't ask you to come down on a center cue ball aimed at something mysterious like other systems. Brian has just figured out the pool table mathematically and how to take advantage of it. Brian merely shows you how depending on the OB's location on the table and the CB to OB alignment with the table's diamonds, the fractional hit to pocket the ball. Buy the book, read the book and try it out. You will not be disappointed!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm starting this thread again because the first one ended way too early and for no good reason. Brian Crist's book; "Poolology" is absolutely genius and maybe the best $10 (ebook) you'll ever spend for a book with the purpose of helping you make shots at the game of pocket pool. This is a work that you can read the first few chapters and instantly put it to use on the table. There is no pivoting, and he doesn't ask you to come down on a center cue ball aimed at something mysterious like other systems. Brian has just figured out the pool table mathematically and how to take advantage of it. Brian merely shows you how depending on the OB's location on the table and the CB to OB alignment with the table's diamonds, the fractional hit to pocket the ball. Buy the book, read the book and try it out. You will not be disappointed!

Thanks a bunch!

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks a bunch!

The first thread ended way too soon and for no good reason. Compared to other aiming systems, yours actually can be learned and proven by the reader in one day. I don't think you've received near enough credit for an awesome piece of work. Hats off to you! It's like E=MC2 for pool.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Brian has come up with a different way, which is great. The concept for aiming by the diamonds is nothing knew. Freddy the beard has mentioned this, also this..https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Plus-Whole-Library-ebook/dp/B00N8T2QZM.

Not sure Brian has seen any other material on aiming by the diamonds but the ideal has already been out there. Yes its 10 dollars well spent but did he figured out the table first ? No. Glad he's help you out, but for some its nothing knew.

Even when knowing the table you have things always to account for.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian has come up with a different way, which is great. The concept for aiming by the diamonds is nothing knew. Freddy the beard has mentioned this, also this..https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Plus-Whole-Library-ebook/dp/B00N8T2QZM.

Not sure Brian has seen any other material on aiming by the diamonds but the ideal has already been out there. Yes its 10 dollars well spent but did he figured out the table first ? No. Glad he's help you out, but for some its nothing knew.

Even when knowing the table you have things always to account for.

Yes, I am aware of Freddy's​ very brief mention of counting diamonds to determine shot angle. It is very limited. I have probably had every instructional pool book printed in the last 50 years or so, at one point or another, including reprints of older material, and have never seen anything remotely as extensive as what a player can find in Poolology. I still have quite a collection of books, and Banking with the Beard is one of my favs.

Simply put, no other pool instructional book has contained a complete aiming diamond system, including the book you linked above. Plenty contain diamond banking systems, and how to recognize certain dead cut shots using the diamonds, but none cover the entire table for cut shots. That's why I published my book. You will not find any book or diagram that maps the table as shown in Poolology.

I appreciate you buying my book and giving the material a look see. Aiming is an individual thing, some prefer contact points, some like parallel shifts, point and pivot, spherical phenomena with manual pivot or illusive sweeping motion, and some prefer fractional aiming. In the end there is one common goal......use works for you and knock the eyes out of 'em.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought this book based on the last thread and it is well worth the money. I have never really used fractional aiming before other than for spot shots and things, but I found it to be easy to understand and a great resource for consistently making shots I normally struggle with. Such as long rail back cuts.

I bought the kindle version and did screen captures of the table area diagrams on my phone so when I get stuck and can't remember I can quickly look at the reference diagrams and nail the shot. While practicing...I don't think I would do that in a match. :)

There are a couple of ways to extend the system too. If you visualize the rails extending past the end of the table to double the table, you can figure out fractional aim points for bank shots as well. Of course you either need to account for shortening off the rail or use a little helping English to make them.

The other thing is that on a tight table it feels like - haven't proven or disproven yet - the difference between 3/8 and 1/3 can jar a ball on long shots. For example if you have a 7/21 ratio and aim at 3/8. So I've started visualizing thirds as well.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
as i mentioned in the first thread
the book is easy to read and understand
the information can be used quickly
i have never seen such a system before
GREAT STUFF
WORTH MUCH MORE THAN $10
thanks brian for putting it out there......:thumbup:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Have you seen the hot shots plus series? It goes over aiming by diamonds very well.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone!

Back when I was doing research for my book, probing the minds of great players (trying to get a consensus on what makes their brains click when pocketing balls), I about dropped the idea of going public with this aiming system. Each of these players told me it was instinct/feel, developed through years of playing the game, that got them to their skill level. I'm talking about guys like Larry Price, Travis Stamper, Gene Robinson, etc... I thought if these guys say aiming systems didn't play a role in their games, then what would my idea really achieve for the average pool player?

The answer came when I began to show a couple of these guys what I'd come up with. A "shortcut" is what Price called it, and he didn't like it. According to him every player should earn their skills through hard experience. That's how you get a feel for the game, he said. I told him that was old school logic, and he didn't like that either. For anyone that knew Price, you know how he was. Anyway, his reaction told me all I needed to know, and I continued with the book.

Thanks again to everyone!

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone!

Back when I was doing research for my book, probing the minds of great players (trying to get a consensus on what makes their brains click when pocketing balls), I about dropped the idea of going public with this aiming system. Each of these players told me it was instinct/feel, developed through years of playing the game, that got them to their skill level. I'm talking about guys like Larry Price, Travis Stamper, Gene Robinson, etc... I thought if these guys say aiming systems didn't play a role in their games, then what would my idea really achieve for the average pool player?

The answer came when I began to show a couple of these guys what I'd come up with. A "shortcut" is what Price called it, and he didn't like it. According to him every player should earn their skills through hard experience. That's how you get a feel for the game, he said. I told him that was old school logic, and he didn't like that either. For anyone that knew Price, you know how he was. Anyway, his reaction told me all I needed to know, and I continued with the book.

Thanks again to everyone!

Brian, I was just thinking about a great way to demonstrate and use "Poolology" and came up with this: Do a video and post it on Youtube showing that if you get ball in hand and the 8 ball is sitting on the 20 line one diamond out from the end rail in Zone B for the corner pocket and the 9 ball is on the end rail at the other end of the table. Set the CB down aligned at the 10 on the side rail for the perfect 1/2 ball hit. Now, knowing the aim is perfect, you can concentrate solely on speed. Watch the CB "Z" to perfect shape on the 9 ball. We can put "Poolology" to work on day one!!

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you seen the hot shots plus series? It goes over aiming by diamonds very well.

Yes I've seen it. Diamond Dave's book series is great, but the method he shows for diamond aiming is not even remotely close to what's​ in my book, not to mention shot accuracy and user-friendliness​. From what I remember he also goes through parallel type aiming and some other methods. It's a great set of books that covers every aspect of playing solid pool.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, I was just thinking about a great way to demonstrate and use "Poolology" and came up with this: Do a video and post it on Youtube showing that if you get ball in hand and the 8 ball is sitting on the 20 line one diamond out from the end rail in Zone B for the corner pocket and the 9 ball is on the end rail at the other end of the table. Set the CB down aligned at the 10 on the side rail for the perfect 1/2 ball hit. Now, knowing the aim is perfect, you can concentrate solely on speed. Watch the CB "Z" to perfect shape on the 9 ball. We can put "Poolology" to work on day one!!

Sounds like a fabulous idea!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolology is a nifty little aiming system that is easy to deploy and will provide an accurate aiming resource for those wanting a formulaic approach to aiming pool shots.

To be honest, starting in with the alignment illustrations — with their accompanying zones and values — was a bit daunting. But then, I am not a math guy and was lucky to escape Father Jacob’s basic high school algebra class by the thinest of margins. However, after I got over my trepidation, even I, as number impaired as they come, was able to take this system to the pool table and make it work. It doesn’t hurt that a majority of shots on a pool table fall within just one of Poolology’s zones, making the necessary calculations pretty easy.

In addition to laying out a very nice aiming system, I’d also like to commend Brian on an enviable writing style. Communicating well about pool may appear easy but is actually anything but easy. In Poolology Mr. Crist smoothly navigates through the presentation of his thoughts on pool and provides the reader with a coherent, readily understandable explanation of his system.

Will I use it? No. After 40 plus years of shooting pool I see the shots and angles as well as I’m ever going to see them. It’s too late in my game for Poolology. But for younger guys looking for a sound foundation for aiming — this would be the way to go.

Lou Figueroa

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Happy that you like this although i am very curious why you would take a pot shot at another system during your write up. You admittedly have never learned the other system so your comparison is very strange. I can only surmise that you felt the need to compare it to the very best system out there, why, who knows. If poolology was so good it should stand alone on it's own merits, no need to try and compare it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Happy that you like this although i am very curious why you would take a pot shot at another system during your write up. You admittedly have never learned the other system so your comparison is very strange. I can only surmise that you felt the need to compare it to the very best system out there, why, who knows. If poolology was so good it should stand alone on it's own merits, no need to try and compare it.

I did not mention any system by name. I've seen your defense of CTE, so I'll assume that is the system you're defending in this instance and not SAMBA. Personally, i have not given up on CTE, just waiting on the book and for a person to person demonstration. I'm too analytical to get it from a DVD. I was merely pointing out that with "Poolology", there is nothing to take on faith and it can be used after one reads just the first of the book this afternoon (unlike some other systems). I'm sure once I understand CTE, I won't ever need anything else.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you guys roll say 10 balls out on the table and put up a curtain and drain them like the guy you didn't mention does,,,,,,,,,, I bet we'll see how many holes are in fractional aiming.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Why don't you guys roll say 10 balls out on the table and put up a curtain and drain them like the guy you didn't mention does,,,,,,,,,, I bet we'll see how many holes are in fractional aiming.

Could not even get started pocketing balls because couldn't see the diamonds. Luckily, curtains are not part of the game. Why are the CTE guys so defensive on a "Poolology" thread? I just stated it's a nifty little mathematical system that is easy to learn and easy to implement. Easily worth $10. I supported Stan and bought the DVDs. Now let's support Brian and buy his work. I don't use "Poolology" all the time, but it sure is a handy arrow to have in the quiver.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Deleted this video, sorry.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could not even get started pocketing balls because couldn't see the diamonds. Luckily, curtains are not part of the game. Why are the CTE guys so defensive on a "Poolology" thread? I just stated it's a nifty little mathematical system that is easy to learn and easy to implement. Easily worth $10. I supported Stan and bought the DVDs. Now let's support Brian and buy his work. I don't use "Poolology" all the time, but it sure is a handy arrow to have in the quiver.

The real question is why did you even bring CTE into your OP. If you would have left CTE out we wouldn't have even commented.

PS The answer is that without the mention of CTE the thread dies on the first page,lol.