Aiming Systems • THE COMPLETE TRUTH

champ2107

Banned
that is what he does :) he copies,takes,borrows,knocks off info. I have no idea whats original coming from him when he posts? He links to everything! he is now known to me as Dr Links.This is why I can not take him or the vepps videos seriously. There are instructors such as Stan,geno or scott lee then there people who claim to be instructors such as Dr Links and half this board. :thumbup:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, illustrations and video demonstrations can be found here:
LOL .... Time out .... time out! I drew that illustration a long time ago and posted it on AZ. This is the edge of the shaft system I believe is a good way to aim. It even says from 3andstop. :)
What, you didn't know you were famous? :grin:

I routinely quote helpful posts and illustrations from AZB and other sources on my resources pages. That way, they are easy to find along with other supporting resources.

If you can find the original AZB post, let me know and I will also link to that from the quote on my page. Also, if you would like the credit line to read differently (e.g., with your real name instead), let me know. And if you prefer your quote not be there at all, let me know and I will remove it.

It isn't however what Shane was talking about in that video link. At least it wasn't what Shane was trying to explain. Personally, I think what he may be doing, and trying to explain are the same as this system.
I agree. There are several possible variations on the shaft/ferrule aiming system approach, but they are all very similar in concept. They also all share the same benefits and limitations.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
that is what he does :) he copies,takes,borrows,knocks off info. I have no idea whats original coming from him when he posts? He links to everything! he is now known to me as Dr Links.This is why I can not take him or the vepps videos seriously. There are instructors such as Stan,geno or scott lee then there people who claim to be instructors such as Dr Links and half this board. :thumbup:
Why are you opposed to me quoting useful info, illustrations, or explanations from other people? I do give these people credit for the quotes, and it is always clear what is from me versus what is from others. The stuff from others is clearly cited with the person's name or username and is indented on my resource pages. Everything else is from me.

BTW, I am both an instructor and an instructional author. You might not take my stuff seriously, but others out there do. But you have the right express whatever opinion you want.

I might even quote you some day if and when you post something insightful, interesting, or useful that adds to what I already have posted and/or quoted. I won't hold my breath, though. ;)

Regards,
Dave

champ2107

Banned
Why are you opposed to me quoting useful info, illustrations, or explanations from other people? I do give these people credit for the quotes, and it is always clear what is from me versus what is from others. The stuff from others is clearly cited with the person's name or username and is indented on my resource pages. Everything else is from me.

BTW, I am both an instructor and an instructional author. You might not take my stuff seriously, but others out there do. But you have the right express whatever opinion you want.

I might even quote you some day if and when you post something insightful, interesting, or useful that adds to what I already have posted and/or quoted. I won't hold my breath, though. ;)

Regards,
Dave

I am ok with my ego here dr links, im not out to impress anyone or myself and do not need anyone quoting me, I just say what I see. It does not bother me if not anyone finds my post insightful, interesting as it would you. I helped someone out the other day at the hall and post on here about pool info "through my eyes" occasionally. I guess if I needed my ego boosted, I could all call myself an instructor and an instructional author. All I see in you is an opportunist and a person who enjoys pool and needs his ego boosted often, I cannot take you seriously because the way you go about posting and your website and how you critic instructors material.

Is it not time for a vepps bump since there is an aiming thread hanging around the first page here or for you to find a way to get a vepps bump in one of your posts in this aiming thread like you usually do? Is it also not time for you to try to direct attention away from cte/pro1 by spamming your own posts in a pro1 thread with links to other aiming methods on your website? ;)

Regards
Champ

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it not time for a vepps bump since there is an aiming thread hanging around the first page here or for you to find a way to get a vepps bump in one of your posts in this aiming thread like you usually do?
Thank you for the plug. :grin:

... but which were you referring to, VEPS or VEPP? ;)

Is it also not time for you to try to direct attention away from cte/pro1 by spamming your own posts in a pro1 thread with links to other aiming methods on your website? ;)
If you check out the links I posted (especially benefits of aiming systems), they support, reinforce, and extend pretty much everything Joey wrote. They also offer additional resources (from me and others) for people who want to explore the topics further.

Champ, let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Regards,
Dave

champ2107

Banned
"I thank you for saying what I feel a lot of people would like to say." Champ >>>>> Your welcome and like i said i am not afraid to stand alone and i really was impressed with your multiple dvd's you have for sale! i put this post for you brophog and thanks for the red rep, feel free to hit me up anytime in the future also ;)

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
There are multiple CTE and pivot methods that work acceptably--okay, for some, far better than acceptably.

But one of my hesitations in recommending ferrule aim systems has to do with the fact that most players have heads tilted to the shot line. There must be a lot of back and forth to the ferrule/tip then back to the object ball and taken from parallax viewpoints.

It is possible to run tables while having a blurred shaft and tip in your peripheral vision because of head angle/head tilt.

champ2107

Banned
There are multiple CTE and pivot methods that work acceptably--okay, for some, far better than acceptably.

But one of my hesitations in recommending ferrule aim systems has to do with the fact that most players have heads tilted to the shot line. There must be a lot of back and forth to the ferrule/tip then back to the object ball and taken from parallax viewpoints.

It is possible to run tables while having a blurred shaft and tip in your peripheral vision because of head angle/head tilt.

I am curious about your knowledge regarding cte systems but really curious about what your knowledge is on cte/pro1 by Stan shuffett? care to discuss it with me?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
"I thank you for saying what I feel a lot of people would like to say." Champ >>>>> Your welcome and like i said i am not afraid to stand alone and i really was impressed with your multiple dvd's you have for sale! i put this post for you brophog and thanks for the red rep, feel free to hit me up anytime in the future also ;)

Champ,
Maybe someone accidentally gave you some red rep. That can happen.
Anyway, I don't think you've done anything wrong. I know you don't care for Dr. Dave's links anymore than others like for me to provide Stan Shuffett's link or Gene Albrecht's Perfect Aim link.

New forum members join or lurk all of the time so I don't mind letting them know where these resources are located from time to time.

I certainly wouldn't give anyone red rep for posting like you do. I like a Yeasayer's post any old time. :D:D:D

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, illustrations and video demonstrations can be found here:

Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave,
I like the Colorartist's pics in your link for it clearly and logically shows that aiming the side of the shaft at any point like the center of the OB or the edge of the OB, ala Shane, will only send the CB to the outside of that aim point by 1/2 of the cue tip/ferrule diameter. So, it's utility though useful is limited.

I toyed with the thought of aiming the edge of the ferrule at one ferrule diameter away from the edge of the OB to achieve a thin cut, but since the cue tip is, say, 2 feet away from my eye/s and remains a constant visual diameter, the one diameter will be correct when the OB and CB are close together, but wihen the OB is far away, the same diameter will be a larger distance away from the edge of the smaller appearing OB. This will achieve a thinner cut when the OB is far away from my ferrule.

Parallax:
Looking at the speedometer needle pointing at 60MPH from the driver's position will appear to be pointing at 40MPH if viewed from the right side of the driver's poisition and, say, 20MPH from the pasingers seat.

Can I use/tweak my visuals as some CTE users refer to - like tilting the head , or moving it and the eye/s to the side, and and see the same center or side of the ferrule aiming - using that parallax view to increase or decrease the angle of aim?

Now, I need another bottle of Guinniss.:smile::thumbup:

Be well.

'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ferrule aiming system has been bashed for a long time because it's not geometrically accurate. I say, so what! In a perfect world we would all see the shot the same way and have only one type of stroke to emulate. Geometrically proven is far from the art we create every time we pick up a cue stick.

I can shoot with the ferrule and make any shot on the table. Where it breaks down is on shots less than 10 degrees. The thin cuts require practice to know how much off of the object ball to aim. For long thin cuts I aim an eighth of an inch off of the object ball, every time. No system I've found matches thin cuts like this system. 90/Reverse 90 aiming comes close.

Head position is everything with stick aiming systems. CJ Wiley is working on a new aiming system that relies on moving the head/eyes to change perspectives and angles for each shot. To understand we must quit thinking of our eyes as a camera or diagram that sees images in 3D from a single point of view. Our super computer blends a constantly changing image in a variable background. With a consistent starting point our "psychological" (new dirty word) aiming systems somehow become extremely accurate, but not geometrically proven.

Shane's idea about using visually specific points on the object ball opened a door for me and stick aiming systems. The straighter shots were not so do-able and I used other methods. I've tried Shane's way and like it. It's simple, yet accurate with a little practice. You think Shane cares about the geometric proofs for his system?

Best,
Mike

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for fun I took the aiming billiard calculator and looked at what lined up from 0-60 degrees in 5 degree increments:

So now it is just up to you to recognize the angle and where to aim the tip/ferrule. Take it at face value, give it a system name if you want :D

[edit] you can also find for yourself what you see: line up two balls frozen to the pocket where one of the balls is the ghost-ball position. Now move the cueball to various places on the table, line up your aim on the ghost-ball and see what lines up. (edges/centers/etc) Take notes.

I concur with your findings (within a degree/s or so) except that judging any offsets outside of the inside edge of the ferrule to the outside edge of the OB is given to error.

ferrule view 1.jpg

Perception of the ferrule behind the CB to a finite distance when the OB appears smaller when it is far down table is the rub - for me.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Updated diaframs.

The ferrule aiming system has been bashed for a long time because it's not geometrically accurate. I say, so what! In a perfect world we would all see the shot the same way and have only one type of stroke to emulate. Geometrically proven is far from the art we create every time we pick up a cue stick.

I can shoot with the ferrule and make any shot on the table. Where it breaks down is on shots less than 10 degrees. The thin cuts require practice to know how much off of the object ball to aim. For long thin cuts I aim an eighth of an inch off of the object ball, every time. No system I've found matches thin cuts like this system. 90/Reverse 90 aiming comes close.

Head position is everything with stick aiming systems. CJ Wiley is working on a new aiming system that relies on moving the head/eyes to change perspectives and angles for each shot. To understand we must quit thinking of our eyes as a camera or diagram that sees images in 3D from a single point of view. Our super computer blends a constantly changing image in a variable background. With a consistent starting point our "psychological" (new dirty word) aiming systems somehow become extremely accurate, but not geometrically proven.

Shane's idea about using visually specific points on the object ball opened a door for me and stick aiming systems. The straighter shots were not so do-able and I used other methods. I've tried Shane's way and like it. It's simple, yet accurate with a little practice. You think Shane cares about the geometric proofs for his system?

Best,
Mike

If one can percieve where the contact point (CP) on the OB is and the CP on the CB, then CP to CP aiming can be diagrammed as geometrically correct for all angles - I have diagrammed it using CAD using the center of the shaft. I use stick aiming throught the CB to the CP to CP aim line and then parallel shift to the center of the CB and shoot.

This is a Power Point version of the ACAD:

CPCP 1.jpg
[/ATTACH]

The rub is that effecting the peception of the CPs and the parallel shift to the center of the CB has to be near exact. If I parallel shift the ferrule a half inch to the side, I must shift my grasp a corresponding half inch to the same side - that isn't as easy as it is said.

Mike,
You introduced me to 90/90 aiming and I have spent some time with it and as explained above, it is geometrically accurate for all angles. It is more parsimonious than CTE and has been geometrically diagrammed (as correct) - by me. I also use the side of the ferrule aiming and anything else that helps/works.

Thanks again Mike.

Attachments

• CPCP Thick 1.jpg
    CPCP Thick 1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,557
Last edited: