Would like comparison of Low Deflection Shafts...

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
I currently use a Predator Shaft and also have a Tiger X. I am currently purchasing a Mcdermott I2 shaft that ive never hit with. Also i have never hit with an Ob1. Could some fellow AZer's compare and contrast how the Mcdermott and Ob1's feel as far as hit to the Tiger X and Predator. Oh and also compare the taper etc. I know that the different tips play a role so could you also specify what tips were on the cues when you shot with them? I pretty much use a moori or molavia on my cues.
Thanks JL Rowe

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not tried the Mcdermott or Mezz but my ranking would be:
1.) Smartshaft
2.) OB1 - hits softer than smartshaft and ferrules crack over time, however, he will replace them for free.
3.) 314 - hits hollow but plays good
4.) tiger x - hit feels great but... has more deflection than others. I rate this shaft higher but... you asked in terms of low deflection so
I tried to look at it in those terms. BTW I play with original maple shafts on my cue.
all IMHO of coarse-jeff

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reason 314s hit hollow is because they are hollow. :D
If you look up their patent, the shaft is hollowed out from the joint area all the way to about 1-2 inches before the ferrule.

coryjeb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jcommie said:
Reason 314s hit hollow is because they are hollow. :D
If you look up their patent, the shaft is hollowed out from the joint area all the way to about 1-2 inches before the ferrule.

This is not accurate information.

coryjeb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't run the length of the shaft. It is approx 6" deep by 1/4" wide, from the tip end. KJ from KJ Cues, who is poster on here, can confirm the exact measurements, or even a search can be done as this has been discussed before.

coryjeb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
i really like the wd700 by mezz

I too, like the Mezz WD700. To me, it is most like a "traditional" shaft.

To the OP, the Mcdermott was a nice shaft, although it was light. It changed the balance point on the cue I tried it on. It may have just been mine though? As a side note, not sure if this is true, but I had one very early on and I have heard the design had to change due to some kind of patent infringement.

As far as a Predator, I think the original, "pre-cat" feels the best. If you due a search on these shafts, you will find more than you probably will care to read about this subject, just FYI.

kersje

Registered
coryjeb said:
I too, like the Mezz WD700. To me, it is most like a "traditional" shaft.

To the OP, the Mcdermott was a nice shaft, although it was light. It changed the balance point on the cue I tried it on. It may have just been mine though? As a side note, not sure if this is true, but I had one very early on and I have heard the design had to change due to some kind of patent infringement.

As far as a Predator, I think the original, "pre-cat" feels the best. If you due a search on these shafts, you will find more than you probably will care to read about this subject, just FYI.

how is the wd700 compared to the hybrid pro I. I currently play with more english and i notice some deflection and adjusting doesnt really go well.

bnkunderme

Registered Hustler
Silver Member

I have the original 314, the first one that came out, not sure what model number it is, but I use it on my McDermott and Spitz and wouldnt trade it for the world.

coryjeb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kersje said:
how is the wd700 compared to the hybrid pro I. I currently play with more english and i notice some deflection and adjusting doesnt really go well.

I have never hit with the Hybrid Pro. As for the WD700, I think this shaft plays as close to a "traditional" shaft as there is, that I have played with. It has a very solid sound and feel, and a very comfortable taper. My one little nit-pick would be that I think the ferrule stains a little too easy, and I am very deliberate on the way I chalk.

As far as deflection goes, I think this is "on par" with other makes, but can only speculate. I don't get too much into that. Feel is more important to me. I believe anything can be adjusted to, given time and practice. Hope this helps.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
digitalcrack said:
is it possible to get a wd700 blank to drill a radial or 3/8x10?

i got a pm a while back from a guy that did this. i don't think he used a blank though. i think the cue he used just happened to be around .840

Zippy371

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will like the I2

I have tried the predator, universal smartshaft (I have one if you want one), meucci black dot, and now love the I2. I think with the I2 you get more feel. I could never get used to the others. The universal was OK but the others hit like a brick to me. I guess it just depends on what you like. The taper on the I2 takes a little getting used to. I can't really explain it very well so I won't try. It just hits great, I feel like I get a ton of action with it. I have never hit a ball with the OB1 but I hear it's a nice hit. Just give it a try with an open mind and I think you will like it.

Good luck
Jason