Freezer's Ice House Tour

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Great looking sportsbar. I wonder what percent of it he owns. Huge overhead as far as I can see. Hope he has poker machines. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As impressed as I am (VERY!) with Freezer's Ice House, I'm equally impressed with Scott's presentation. He comes across as an astute businessman who has a goal and knows how to get there. He represents his business well. I have a feeling this will be a big success story and Scott will focus on running his Ice House and leave the serious pool behind. He can still play, but business will come first.

First of all, I love the name, Freezer's Ice House. Very inviting when you live in an extremely hot climate like Phoenix has. I even like the exterior colors (blue and white), that are traditional ice house colors from years gone by. Everything about the interior is well done and well thought out, down to his extra rooms that feature a cool bar area and a quiet dining area.

This is a very special place, unlike any other "room" I've seen before. I wish Scott the best of luck (not that he needs it) and years of enjoyment. Good preparation is what ultimately leads to success and he's covered all his bases here.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
As impressed as I am (VERY!) with Freezer's Ice House, I'm equally impressed with Scott's presentation.

The same exact thoughts I had. The place has to be one of if not the nicest and most high tech pool halls in the US (or anywhere), and Scott was far more knowledgeable, professional, businesslike, and well spoken than I would have expected. Very impressed on all counts.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Beautiful room....and Scott sounds like he's in control...very well spoken, inspires confidence.

But I got a serious complaint...:mad:
In the retro game section, he doesn't have Galaxian...:sad:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has come a long ways from the brash trash talking kid of his youth. Props to him. Sure looks like he has touched all of the bases in getting his palace in order starting with a great location down the road from the University. Like many things in life--location, location, location.

I hope that it is a roaring success.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
great looking room
wish scott great success and alot of profit.....:smile:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I do have a couple of pieces of advice for Scott if he happens to read this thread. Manage the business like you want it and expect it to last forever, and manage your personal finances like the business might not be open for very much longer.

What I mean by manage the business like you want and expect it to last forever is that whenever possible always make your business decisions based on what will be best for the long term, not for the short term. Some not so great examples off the top of my head would be stuff like that extra 50 cents you think you can milk out of people in drink prices might make you more money for a period of time, but it could also be the tipping point that was just enough to make people slowing but surely stop coming to your establishment because they start feeling like they are being fleeced. Or if you start catering to the thug crowd you might see a surge in business for a while because of the new customer base...until your "normal" clientele slowly but surely stop coming because they don't want to be around that and the "normal" customers were 90% of your business. Basically always think about what is best for the long term, not for the short term, and keep in mind that if you treat people fairly and with respect and if they feel like they are getting a decent value for their dollars you will have loyal customers for life.

What I mean by manage your finances like the business might not be open that much longer is basically to save money. Don't spend all that you earn. You might make great money and think you don't have to be careful, but that great money might not last. The reality is that most businesses fail. Even the best businesses can and do go out of business all the time, even after being open for a long time, often for things that are totally beyond their control and even though they did everything right. The landlord might decide not to renew the lease. The building could get sold. A fire could destroy everything. Trends change and maybe something else opens up that becomes the new "it" place, or maybe pool just continues to lose popularity. Maybe zoning changes. Maybe through the worst luck possible there are 4 shootings in the place in a year even though you ran a tight ship and kept the undesirables out and now lots of your customers don't want to come any more, or the city wants to revoke your liquor license. Etc. Start saving money and lots of it right from the start so that if something does happen you have enough money to open another business, or to tide yourself over for an extended period of time until you can get a job or figure out what to do next. And even better, invest a least a good portion of that which you have saved so that that money also makes you money instead of just sitting there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do have a couple of pieces of advice for Scott if he happens to read this thread. Manage the business like you want it and expect it to last forever, and manage your personal finances like the business might not be open for very much longer.

What I mean by manage the business like you want and expect it to last forever is that whenever possible always make your business decisions based on what will be best for the long term, not for the short term. Some not so great examples off the top of my head would be stuff like that extra 50 cents you think you can milk out of people in drink prices might make you more money for a period of time, but it could also be the tipping point that was just enough to make people slowing but surely stop coming to your establishment because they start feeling like they are being fleeced. Or if you start catering to the thug crowd you might see a surge in business for a while because of the new customer base...until your "normal" clientele slowly but surely stop coming because they don't want to be around that and the "normal" customers were 90% of your business. Basically always think about what is best for the long term, not for the short term, and keep in mind that if you treat people fairly and with respect and if they feel like they are getting a decent value for their dollars you will have loyal customers for life.

What I mean by manage your finances like the business might not be open that much longer is basically to save money. Don't spend all that you earn. You might make great money and think you don't have to be careful, but that great money might not last. The reality is that most businesses fail. Even the best businesses can and do go out of business all the time, even after being open for a long time, often for things that are totally beyond their control and even though they did everything right. The landlord might decide not to renew the lease. The building could get sold. A fire could destroy everything. Trends change and maybe something else opens up that becomes the new "it" place, or maybe pool just continues to lose popularity. Maybe zoning changes. Maybe through the worst luck possible there are 4 shootings in the place in a year even though you ran a tight ship and kept the undesirables out and now lots of your customers don't want to come any more, or the city wants to revoke your liquor license. Etc. Start saving money and lots of it right from the start so that if something does happen you have enough money to open another business, or to tide yourself over for an extended period of time until you can get a job or figure out what to do next. And even better, invest a least a good portion of that which you have saved so that that money also makes you money instead of just sitting there.

Sage advice here! Typically even the hottest new spots usually have a life expectancy of three to four years when they are the "in" spot to go. What will sustain a business like this is a loyal clientele, including real pool players and not just the social crowd. I like to give my regulars (the pool players) a monthly pass (maybe $60-75) and they can play for free during the slow daytime hours. They would have to give up their table when it gets busy at night, say 7 PM. I've had as many as sixty monthly's and it paid a lot of bills.

I know he has to have an ATM machine! That's a must for a business like this. Having access to extra money means extra money spent here. A nice digital jukebox (no gangster rap!) is a huge moneymaker as well. Pop-A-Shot basketball and Air Hockey are two very popular games if you can find a location for them. Believe it or not, Ping Pong is also a good addition to any poolroom, again if you have room. People like to play more than just pool all the time. That's what makes the huge Dave and Busters do so well. They have everything!

Of course the bottom line for a business like this is liquor sales. If he serves good food and sells a lot of booze, he will do all right. Just be VERY careful about checking ID's and who is actually drinking. There will be underage college kids who want to drink with their buddies. If you allow that to happen, you can get your liquor license suspended. Then you're toast!

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice

I join all those in wishing Scott much success; it is a really beautiful pool environment. Nice also to see good business advice being given here too.
My first impression seeing the video tour though, is Wow, that's a LOT of overhead if all those people are employees! It also looks like a lot of money spent on all the furnishings and TVs, and decor. I may be too old school and too much behind the times, but I grew up (pool-wise) in pool halls that were typically run by one guy and very few employees. I sincerely hope this is a big success for Scott and his partners.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good advice pool poolplaya.
IMO, opening a pool room today with so much overhead and the latest in technology takes a lot of balls.
I feel so many other businesses are better to go after, e.g. internet-based, yogurt shops.
Scott's game is gong to go in the sewer, and he is gonna be so damn busy, unless he pays someone to run the place, which I don't think is going to happen.

I imagine if it weren't for ASU being down the street, no one in their right mind would open a pool room in that area.
He's taking a big chance IMO.
I do wish him the best of luck, but I don't see this room being open for more than five years.
You can dress up the place as much as you want, but one has to realize that the demand for these kind of places is not as it once was.

Another U.S. economic shift is a-coming and it ain't gonna be pretty.
Again, I wish the Freezer all the best.
Yes, do business as if there is no tomorrow, Scott.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking good Scott, but like Jay says, don't drop your guard on underage drinking..Given your location, that could be a real problem!..Pour a good drink, and keep the food quality up there.and you cant miss!...Serious and funsy players will come in droves!

Best of Luck

Dick

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Great place! Remember guys this isn't a players room, this is a legit business and he will make his money off of rec players cause that's the only way a "poolroom" will survive. Sorry, but I wouldn't spend 1 second considering "players" in my pricing, if they come, they come, if they don't, not a lot lost(zero) when you consider all the fun players and the prices they will pay for entertainment.
If he wants to do a monthly for the "players" i would keep it quiet, although most fun players wouldn't do it anyway. Once you discount something it cheapens it forever.
Jason

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering traveling from Washington to visit. When is the grand opening? I want to be there when all of the girls are still working there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm considering traveling from Washington to visit. When is the grand opening? I want to be there when all of the girls are still working there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Opening Weekend Looks like July 27th-30th weekend 6pm-10pm.