• Total voters

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rankings Are Made By Billiard Group

Top 10 at 18.2, 3-cushion, and pocket cue announced -Champions head list

-----------
Hoppe gets high rating - Placed at #2 in 3-cushion with Cochran #6, Schaefer #8 - Hoppe #5 at Balkline.
-----------

Ralph Greenleaf is placed first in pocket billiards, Johnny Layton first in 3-cushion and Jake Schaefer first in 18.2 balkline, according to the rating list just announced by the ranking committee of the National Billiard Association of America.

These selections should occasion no surprise, as the three are at present the champions of the world in their respective divisions. However, in 3-cushion the unexpected is found, for three balkline players are placed among the first 10. Willie Hoppe is placed at number 2, Welker Cochran at number 6, and Schaefer at number 8.

Hoppe has been dropped to number 5 at balkline and barely managed to escape 7th position. He has failed to compete in either of the last world's 3-cushion or pocket billiard tournaments, but the ranking committee rated him on past performances and felt that no list would be complete unless Hoppe was assigned a position.

The ratings for the three divisions follow:

18.2 Balkline
1. Jake Schaefer, San Francisco
2. Welker Cochran, New York
3. Edouard Horemans, Belgium
4. Eric Hagenlacher, Germany
5. Willie Hoppe, New York
6. Roger Conti, France
7. Kinrey Matsuyama, Japan
8. Felix Grange, France
9. Edmond Derbier, France
10. David McAndless, Chicago
Honorable mention - Tadao Suganuma, Kamekichi Suzuki, Koji Yamada, Japan; Ary Bos, Holland; Ora Morningstar, San Diego

Three Cushion
1. Johnny Layton, Sedalia MO
2. Willie Hoppe, New York
3. Otto Reiselt, Philadelphia
4. Allen K Hall, Chicago
5. Augie Kieckhefer, Chicago
6. Welker Cochran, New York
7. Gus Copulos, Detroit
8. Jake Schaefer, San Francisco
9. Tiff Denton, Kansas City
10. Earl Lookabaugh, Chicago
Honorable mention -Art Thurnblad, Len Kenney and Joseph Moriarty of Chicago; Charles E. Jordan, Los Angeles; Alfredo de Oro, New York; Walter Riley, Philadelphia

Pocket Billiards
1. Ralph Greenleaf, New York
2. Frank Taberski, Schenectady
3. Edwin Rudolph, Chicago
4. Onofrio Lauri, Brooklyn
5. Pasquale Natalie, Detroit
6. Charles Seaback, Boston
7. Arthur Woods, Pawtucket R.I.
8. Andrew Ponzi, Philadelphia
9. Marcel Camp, Detroit
10. Spencer Livsey, Los Angeles
Honorable mention - Charles Harmon, NewYork; Charles (Cowboy) Weston, Chicago; Larry Stoutenburgh, Buffalo; Andrew St Jean, Minneapolis; James Maturo and Joseph Concannon, Brooklyn; Harry Oswald, Pittsburgh

Published April 13 1930
NYTimes

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
wasn't it Jack that played the worlds or whatever and the fellow had just a few points and then jack ran like 2 or 3k points in balkline?

by the way I somewhat agree, its a very good list and well thought out....I'll give more on my thoughts on it later.

gmillioni

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
world champions of ago

i find it interesting that in most recalls of old time billiard/pool legends that alfredo del oro is rarely mentioned. however he held the world titile/s from 1887 through 1913 at least over thirty years. his number of year championships is equal to or exceeds those held by, mosconi, greenleaf, and hoppe. probably few records exist from that time period but i am of the mind that this man was a powerhouse of a champion during his lifetime having defeated everyone who challenged him. gerald

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I voted 'somewhat', only because I have no interest whatsoever in 18.2 or 3C. If it isn't Straight Pool, I could care less, but I agree that in 1930, Greenleaf was the best, but by the 40's I have to give it to Willie.;)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
1930 was also a turning point, so to speak, for many billiard related things...

the economy went down the toilet....a familiar feeling i must say...
so the billiard rooms were dropping like flies...as were the tournys...

at the same time, table designs began to change drastically.... PLASTIC on a billiard table??? :O

meanwhile 18.2 was headed out the door permanently....