Pechauer Pro P04-G not straight problem

kempf80

Registered
Okay this is my first post but I've seen good knowledgeable people here sharing advice.
So I bought the cue and it promptly arrived after a couple days and out I go to to test it.
Immediately the cue feels like the proverbial extension of my arm and fixes the problems with my old Lucasi. (butt-heaviness). Also I got the cue with a standard 12.75mm diameter tip.
Here's the problem: rolling the cue on the table, it shows a miniscule amount of bend, not sure if it's the shaft, must test more today but I really like the cue anyway. Should I send it back or will this problem get worse over time? The slight warp is barely noticeable and I could keep it as it is but I'd really like your word on this.

JoeyC71176

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the tip leave the table when rolled? Is it straight when separate but not when together?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you buy it new?....regardless contact Pechauer. Might have a lifetime warranty.

kempf80

Registered
Okay we tested with a friend and it seems the cue itself is straight but there's a bump or something in the shaft so it's not symmetrical. How this is possible I don't know. Anyway I won't be sending it back which is a relief. Playability wise the cue is fantastic and the Pechauer tip they put on is good also. Thanks for advice but it was a false alarm.

Last edited:

kempf80

Registered
Review and Pictures

Okay, it's been a month or so that I've played with the new Pechauer P04-G and it's time for some kind review. Comparing with the old Lucasi D2 let's go over some points:

Deflection: Pechauer has less deflection even though the shaft feels more stiff (12,75mm with laminated tip). Full table spin shots with little more than stun speed can be shot with backhand english and don't require as much correction for squirt. The Lucasi demanded that correction be made for deflection. Result of this is more confidence in spin and especially spin + draw-shots over distances. However short distance plays about the same.
Balance and Weight: Pechauer has more overall weight to it. I would estimate it to be around 190z or little less. The Lucasi with the weight bolt in is much heavier but also is butt-heavy which throws off some of my shots where I'm shooting close to a rail. Pechauer is balanced in the front so no more butt-heaviness related issues so it's an improvement. Note that I had to play the Lucasi without the weight bolt so it was very light and this demands a very accurate stroke. This is something I wanted to fix.
Grip vs no grip: This was a tough one to decide and it was a gamble whether I could adjust to it but after a week or so I got so used to it, there are no issues whatsoever. Lucasi still has the original irish linen wrap and it has held up well; no unraveling so kudos to Lucasi with their build quality in that respect.
Price vs Value: Lucasi has been my main player for some five years now and I bought it for 240€ new. It has remained straight and there are no bumps or dents in the shaft so it has been a great value purchase. Pechauer was about 490€ new and I was hoping this would be my player for the next 10+ years. So far the price seems a bit steep but I wanted some aesthetics involved in my purchase too so that explains it I guess.
Final words: This new cue fixed the problems I had and has improved my play somewhat (already finished into money in a small tournament) so I'm happy and I would suggest the Pechauer Pro-line cues for anyone who wants a stiff-hitting quality cue with a great price range.
wr70vGZ.jpg
[/IMG]
6eDnEGX.jpg
[/IMG]
qO8w3sO.jpg
[/IMG]

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for writing up the review, good read :rolleyes:

I must say that I am a sucker for stainless joints and the plain style of Pechauers. I'd likely have one if they used the standard 5/16x14 pin rather than their quick release version of it :eek:

kempf80

Registered
Thanks, it was interesting to make a review. I also had a German Bear Professional cue some 10 years ago but lost it in a car accident. After that I've always longed for a higher quality cue once more and this Pechauer is just that.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I don't think you should dismiss or reject a cue that isn't straight just because it isn't. Whether it was made that way, or made a cue lifestyle choice, it should be accepted for what it is.

kempf80

Registered
Thanks for your input, I really love the cue and I'll never return it. Straightness however should be one deciding factor when judging the build quality of a cue as there should be no issues when the cost goes over 300$/€.
The Lucasi is still nice and straight after 5 years of heavy use, so that tells me there's a good amount of quality to be had for a decent price. My friend plays with a McDermott and the 11.75mm tip shaft and he's been very happy with it playing snooker too. What he paid for it (200$ shaft) I'd estimate to be around the total for the Pechauer P04-G.(500€ or a little less).

kempf80

Registered
Ok, I got a normal 13mm shaft for this cue today. It has the Pechauer gold layered tip which has been playable on the 12,75mm shaft. Can't wait to try this thing out and see how it plays. Shaft wood seems to be good straight grain and no messy parts anywhere. I'll write some more after playing with it.
Finally got to play with the new shaft and test it out properly:
Deflection: More than the Lucasi and the 12,75mm Pechauer shaft.
Feel: Excellent but quite stiff. Easy to get adjusted to.
Playability: Very good with the Pechauer tip it comes with. It seems the cue hits harder than the Lucasi and tends to overhit everything, especially draw shots
In tne future, I might try out an Elk Master tip just to see how it plays since I played so long with those but honestly, the Pechauer gold tip has been good enough for my purposes and I'll stick to it for now.

Last edited:

kempf80

Registered
I've been curious for a long time to test the Pechauer Pro+ shaft and some months ago I had an offer I couldn't refuse. As soon as I got the shaft I noticed something strange about it. The hit seemed muffled and I could barely get any action with the cueball. This really perplexed me and I just ignored the shaft for a long time. Then one day I decided to try something and scuffed the tip and made it more round. The problem with these low deflection shafts (Predator) for me has been the muffled feel. I had a z2 and I've also tried some 314-2 shafts and they feel so strange I just don't like them.
Oh well this one night after scuffing the tip and reshaping it I played with a friend who's way stronger than me and I completely thrashed him. I didn't understand what was going on but the 20 or so games we played I'd run out some 15 outright after a couple safeties. It was like magic. The next time I tried to play with the same shaft but in a different poolhall, different environment and the shaft started acting up again. Again frustration, scuffing and shaping but nothing improved. Dull hit, hardly any action on the cueball.
I just don't understand it. Is the tip, my shooting style or a combination of other factors. I've mostly given up on playing with this shaft for now. Sometimes it gives spin and sometimes the cueball moves like molasses. Just baffling. 314-2 at least was consistent when I tried my friends Longoni-Predator cue. One last thing, My friends seem to like the Pro+ shaft more than the normal 12,75mm shaft and they say it's better and gives spin. BTW this aggravates me somewhat since it was a 150€ purchase after all. If somebody has an answer, I'd like to know about it. :frown:

Last edited:

TheCutMaster

Registered
Okay this is my first post but I've seen good knowledgeable people here sharing advice.
So I bought the cue and it promptly arrived after a couple days and out I go to to test it.
Immediately the cue feels like the proverbial extension of my arm and fixes the problems with my old Lucasi. (butt-heaviness). Also I got the cue with a standard 12.75mm diameter tip.

Just curious as i am looking at these sticks as well. What shaft and tip did you get with this original purchase? I know it was the 12.75mm but just wondering which one of his shafts it came with. Pro, Pro + etc..And was the tip soft, medium or hard?

I've been curious for a long time to test the Pechauer Pro+ shaft and some months ago I had an offer I couldn't refuse. As soon as I got the shaft I noticed something strange about it. The hit seemed muffled and I could barely get any action with the cueball. This really perplexed me and I just ignored the shaft for a long time. Then one day I decided to try something and scuffed the tip and made it more round. The problem with these low deflection shafts (Predator) for me has been the muffled feel. I had a z2 and I've also tried some 314-2 shafts and they feel so strange I just don't like them.
Oh well this one night after scuffing the tip and reshaping it I played with a friend who's way stronger than me and I completely thrashed him. I didn't understand what was going on but the 20 or so games we played I'd run out some 15 outright after a couple safeties. It was like magic. The next time I tried to play with the same shaft but in a different poolhall, different environment and the shaft started acting up again. Again frustration, scuffing and shaping but nothing improved. Dull hit, hardly any action on the cueball.
I just don't understand it. Is the tip, my shooting style or a combination of other factors. I've mostly given up on playing with this shaft for now. Sometimes it gives spin and sometimes the cueball moves like molasses. Just baffling. 314-2 at least was consistent when I tried my friends Longoni-Predator cue. One last thing, My friends seem to like the Pro+ shaft more than the normal 12,75mm shaft and they say it's better and gives spin. BTW this aggravates me somewhat since it was a 150€ purchase after all. If somebody has an answer, I'd like to know about it. :frown:

Now here you're definitely talking about the pro plus shaft correct? If so which diameter was the particular shaft you tested and what tip and softness was it? You're starting to scare me about these shafts haha.

kempf80

Registered
Yes the Pro+ shaft 12,75mm. The other day I tested all three shafts on a really loose 8-foot table and it was the usual story: 12,75mm normal shaft was the best, 13mm played good but a little more deflection but it was easy to adjust. The Pro+ I couldn't play at all. Maybe it's just my playing style since they all have the same Pechauer gold tip and nothing wrong with it. All I can say is try it out first before buying. I don't know what to do with mine. Guess I'll stash in storage somewhere. Meh :frown:

TheCutMaster

Registered
Yes the Pro+ shaft 12,75mm. The other day I tested all three shafts on a really loose 8-foot table and it was the usual story: 12,75mm normal shaft was the best, 13mm played good but a little more deflection but it was easy to adjust. The Pro+ I couldn't play at all. Maybe it's just my playing style since they all have the same Pechauer gold tip and nothing wrong with it. All I can say is try it out first before buying. I don't know what to do with mine. Guess I'll stash in storage somewhere. Meh :frown:

Wow that's very strange. But it could just be your preference. Thanks so much for posing this. I will definitely take this into account when purchasing.