10-foot pool tables

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I know about the search function, but I'm self-centered (I need my own thread).

I'm interested in your thoughts (I'm not that self-centered) about 10-foot pool tables.

I am the proud new owner of a 10-foot Anniversary. I also have a tangerine 10-foot GC 1 snooker table. My goal is to build a room for these in the near future. It may be a stand alone structure or a room attached to a shop. Your advice will be appreciated. I also would like to have a room in my home for my 9-foot antique Wendt. I only hope I can get this done before I get married (no prospects at the moment).

Please share your thoughts about shooting on a 10-footer. I had the pleasure of playing on a 10-foot Sport King a few days ago. The pockets were shimmed to a bit more than 4 inches. It was ridiculous. I found that it forced me to focus. It was hard to make many shots, so I also found that I was playing better position in an effort to make the shots easier.

How will this impact my bar box game? How hard will it be to make the transition?

Thanks in advance.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I played some with shadowmoss who has a magnificent 10 footer. I dogged it up badly but had a fantastic time. He was a great host and the equipment played superbly. The larger table is a challenge and in that respect, is superior. I wouldn't hesitate to go 10'. Good luck with it.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I know about the search function, but I'm self-centered (I need my own thread).

I'm interested in your thoughts (I'm not that self-centered) about 10-foot pool tables.

I am the proud new owner of a 10-foot Anniversary. I also have a tangerine 10-foot GC 1 snooker table. My goal is to build a room for these in the near future. It may be a stand alone structure or a room attached to a shop. Your advice will be appreciated. I also would like to have a room in my home for my 9-foot antique Wendt. I only hope I can get this done before I get married (no prospects at the moment).

Please share your thoughts about shooting on a 10-footer. I had the pleasure of playing on a 10-foot Sport King a few days ago. The pockets were shimmed to a bit more than 4 inches. It was ridiculous. I found that it forced me to focus. It was hard to make many shots, so I also found that I was playing better position in an effort to make the shots easier.

How will this impact my bar box game? How hard will it be to make the transition?

Thanks in advance.

I have a an 8' Sport King & have playerd on 9 & 10 footers as well as 10' snooker & billiard tables. U r totally right about having to be focused & determined. I found that the going 'back' to 'coin' tables is pretty easy except for one problem & that is the coin cue ball. I went so far as to buy one to practice with at home. It helped & made it easier, but I go so far as to consider coin & regular pool to be 2 totally diferent games because U have to shoot the exact same shot differently on ea. to get the same position. I think the best thing to do is to stay on the one you'll be playing on the most & change as little as possible. I got used to the coin ball & have won most run outs in leagues. You can do well but it takes getting used to it. Hope this helps. It's just my opion. As for me I prefer the regular big table. It seperates the real player form the bar room 'shooter'.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
ruin your game!

Ten footers are absolutely terrible to practice on especially the snooker table. They will ruin your bar box game. Just to keep you away from temptation and since my bar box game is long ago ruined I'll take one or both ten footers off your hands for a modest price.

The truth is that ten foot tables or very tight pockets create a different playing style and if you play exclusively on those tables it really will hurt your bar box game. The main reason is that you will play different patterns and ignore some shots and paths on the bar box that you should be taking. On a bit of an unconscious level you get out of the habit of cheating pockets and using spin when it can be avoided. While this is a great style going too far to that extreme can cost you wins on a bar table.

However if you practice on a ten footer and stay tuned on a bar table too then you will be improving areas of your game that people that play exclusively on a bar table don't work on and still maintain a bar box style on a bar box, a win/win deal.

A friend that hustled in the bar rooms a little stayed with me a few weeks. I took him to my hideaway pool hall and got on the snooker table with him without telling him why. He hated it! After about forty-five minutes he started pocketing a few balls. After a few hours we went to a bar where we often gambled. The first time he swung a cue stick he looked over at me and grinned. I just said "exactly". After you start nailing balls on a snooker table the pockets on a bar table look like they are the size of a #3 wash tub!

Hu

Pfnatic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance.

Playing on a ten footer with tight pockets will increase your accuracy, your mental focus (as you noticed) and positional play. Also, once you play on a bigger table, playing on the smaller table is so much easier. Long shots seem like average shots, and you dont even have to think much about medium and close range shots. Just like when I play snooker and then go play on a bar table, I feel like I am playing on a kid's table. Hell, even a 9 footer looks relatively small.

On the other hand, a side effect of playing on a bigger table is that you may tend to overrun position on the smaller table. Also, your mind gets tuned to the difficulty of a bigger table, and you may not take on shots that you normally would on a bar table.

But, for the most part it will help your game.

On a side note, does anyone know of a place with 10 footers in California?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
10 footers

They have probably all moved to Texas! Besides THEY say everthing is bigger in Texas... except their debt. Oh no... I don't think THEY have any debt in Texas. I'm in La. & we've downsized. We have 9 footers but I don't know if we still have any 10s. If so I don't know where they are. I hope U find one. Sorry for the little Cali. zinger. I just thought it might be a little funny but it's not a funny subject.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
I have a 5x10 GC3 in my garage and love it!

Here is the thing:

I bought the table for practice reasons, wanted the toughest table I would ever run into.

I make it a point NOT to adjust my strategies to my table for the exact reasons Hu mentioned. It is easy to start thinking more defensively on a huge table with tiny pockets, but that will come back to bite you when you are in a real match and have lost your aggressive eye.

If you are looking for a table to learn how to stay focused, sharpen your fundamentals, work on long shots, then I don't think you can do better than a 5x10 with small pockets.

If you are good with those things and want to practice run out patterns, them maybe the big tables aren't for you. Although, when I do run racks at home I sure feel like I have accomplished something.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, if you are seriously going to have 3 tables in your home/shop/building/whatever, why have them all 10 footers?

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
I read it as he has a 5x10 pool, a 5x10 snooke, and a 9x4.5 pool which sounds like a good variety to me.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I read it as he has a 5x10 pool, a 5x10 snooker, and a 9x4.5 pool which sounds like a good variety to me.

Exactly right. I love all of these tables. The "small" table is from a much different era and will be in a room with a matching theme. The others will work well together.
On a side note, I have a 10-foot Madison for sale. Given that I will be moving, I'm willing to deal!
Karl

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you compete elsewhere on a bar box, why not also put a bar box in your home?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I guess everyone is a little different about going from big tables to the BB. For years I hustled bars up and down the Eastcoast and almost always would stop and play an hour on a 9' table before I hit the bars. I think we all can agree that the BB tables should have tighter pockets. That being said, with the old 5" pockets I could make 90 % of the shots with my eyes closed once I got down on the CB. When you don't have to worry about making the ball you can focus more on other things, like position.

I can't tell you how many times that I played someone that was a ball or 2 better than me on a 9' table and then played him on the BB and drilled him. Johnnyt

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I dont get why some people think that playing on a bigger table will hurt your bar box game... Just seems so silly to me. The Bar Box is a toy compaired to any table 8 feet or bigger. Hell after playing snooker on a 6 x 12 the 9 footers seemed like bar boxs and i barely missed a ball all day :cool: