What pro player still plays with a Meucci

jed1894

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Meucci no dots, red dots and black dots. All play good and no problems with any of them. I hope the Meucci name gets back where it belongs.

JED

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my old pre-dots Meucci wood to wood sneaky. The butt wood is a nice pinkish red, I think it is probably rosewood. I also have one that is identical only the butt is a more standard sneaky butt color in storage . I'm saving it incase something happens to the other one that I use every day:)

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
Seems that the Meucci is still popular with many players, this has sparked a bigger interest in mine due to all the great people on here who seem to know alot more about them. So my question to you that know a little bit about the older Meucci could you help me ID mine.

Here is my Meucci..before and after pictures. Do you know anything about this model i beleive it to be an 84 and from the Starter Collection, but not real sure any info you have will be appreciated.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=59913

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
ccn7 said:
Seems that the Meucci is still popular with many players, this has sparked a bigger interest in mine due to all the great people on here who seem to know alot more about them. So my question to you that know a little bit about the older Meucci could you help me ID mine.

Here is my Meucci..before and after pictures. Do you know anything about this model i beleive it to be an 84 and from the Starter Collection, but not real sure any info you have will be appreciated.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=59913

ST-4......looks great after refinish by BHQ! How much did the SABER ferrule and MORRI change playability?

LCampbell

Registered
Does Jim Rempe still play with a Meucci ? I know he was sponsored by them but only Loree Jon Jones is listed as a player sponsor on the the Meucci website.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cornbread red and meucci cue

cornbread red did GIVE his nephew sean johnson a meucci cue years ago in ky. not a bad looking cue- around 1993 or so. he did teach sean a bit about onepocket as well.
quote"
On a sidenote, I remember a funny story re: Meuccis. Supposedly true but with the passing of time, who knows....Cornbread Red (Billy Burge) came outside the poolroom after a night of gambling and discovered the rear side window of his car had been smashed out. Cornbread started the
I can't believe this...who would do such a thing, etc. His buddy that was with him offered him solace in that the window can be replaced, etc.
Cornbread pulled his head back outside of the empty window hole and said
"It's not the window. Somebody threw in another Meucci!"

One of my brothers swears by his Meucci. I tried it several times but I don't care for the whippy shaft. Some of them are pretty though.[/QUOTE]

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
Hey, what can I say? I'm dropping 20 G's on a renovation + Diamond Table, The table ain't gonna just be for looks!

I was EVER impressed with was Josh D.

If I don't win a few of the King's Bay tournaments within the year I take off, I will consider myself an absolute, abject failure.

There, I said it. Now, I have to back it up. I have no problems with that..

Russ

That is going to be one heck of a laundry table. :D JK
JD still plays and has been seeping into Brevard for games lately.
As for the KBT, Dan Lavoi has been playing very good lately. I had not seen him play for sometime, but I got to watch him play Louis Viera at a pro stop in Melbourne and he was going jam up!! He maybe one closer to your neck of the wood to pratice with.

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry, cuemaker Jim Buss has been telling the same story for years - only it's Jersey, not Cornbread, Red. GF

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the crowned prince of Brunei uses a Meucci. and guess what? he's the number player of Brunei, and so they say ! :D :D :D

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
jgpool said:
None of them feel like the Meucci. I don't know what it is but it is real, for me anyway.

And you have made a very important statement. An individual's liking to a particular cue is the most important criteria and that is why there are so many cue makers. It doesn't matter what others say. Your experience and your liking is all that matters.
JoeyA

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meucci

I have a beautiful King James that was made in I believe 1984-85 as a custom . It has beautiful purple stained maple, tons of ivory and gold inlays. It is a stunning cue and will be with me always, but the shaft is not for everyones playing taste. Meuccis are more a form or art than function and I think that is one reason why it has a collectable following as it does.
Cue Collectors = Art Collectors :)

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
does anyone know how long the taper was on the older meucci cues?

the first cue i bought was a meucci purple heart sneaky. The cue was about 3 inches longer than a normal cue & whippy as hell.

But damn did i play good with that cue. I finally cracked the ferrule about 1/2 inch & asked a cue repair guy at The Rack in memphis to fix it.

He sawed the cracked part off & put a tip on it!!! :mad: :mad:

the cue never hit the same after that. :(

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zcat27 said:
I don't play with a Meucci but I can't believe someone would say that. I've never heard of one Meucci cracking etc. I know the quality of his cues are not what they use to be anymore but that is rediculous.

I'm surprised that you've never heard of a ferrule cracking. I bought a plain Meucci to use while waiting for my second Southwest. The ferrule cracked in three places in less than a month and I never broke with it. I've owned several over the years and many of them had inlays popping up through the finish, ferrule problems, joints cracking, etc. The first one I owned came from Bob's first catalog, in the mid or late '7os. No quality problems whatsoever. I sold it to buy a custom {made for me} Joss East. I've never found one that had anywhere near the playability of the first one. I'll stick with customs, thank you.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ccn7 said:
Is this your opinion, having owned one, or just passing on hear say. If you did own one which model was it and why was it not at all to your liking. I'M just curious as i have a Meucci made in 83 before the dot shafts and its a pretty good hitting cue. I just had it refinished and new wrap a new ferrule and tip put on and i'm a very happy Meucci owner.

First the hit thing.

While you think your cue is a good hitting one,
I can promise you, many, many players would think it is
hidieous - conclusion: 'hit' is an extremely subjective opinion.
Not exactly late breaking news.

Quality:
Tho plenty of Mooochies are perfectly acceptable as far as
construction quality, there are hundreds of tales of NEW cues
with joint collars and butt caps that are loose, forearm glue failure,
even points falling out. Add to that the extenseive use of the
cheapest, tackiest, plastics known to mankind, and you get a product
that gets zero respect from many players.

Compared to McD, which at one time cranked out aprox twice
as many cues, all with the highest of quality, Meuc looks pretty lax.

Dale,<quality fiend>

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
I have posted this same Meucci defence numerous times, but I feel it should be heard. My wife has an early 90's Moochie, and I can tell you, it has a beautiful hit. I can also tell you, that many people who claim to hate meucci's that have hit with the cue, have offered to buy it. From what I have heard, the early 90's was the end of the good Meucci's. I have hit with a few others, and none have come close to my wife's cue, so hers is the exception to the rule.

With all that said... I play with a Frey :)

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
FWIW, Meucci's were not bad cues back in the day. I had one that was very nice - no plastic at all - and it played great. I gave it to Jerry Powers many years ago in exchange for a purple heart jump/break.

To answer Jay's question... the older production cues are better than the new ones because somewhere around the time period of TCOM, production increased and quality decreased. When the Asian market boomed in the late 1980's, there was more demand than supply. When that happenes, the production cue companies were forced to produce cues quicker, faster, cheaper - and in doing so the quality of the materials and the quality of craftsmanship decreased.

The companies were forced to hire more people to build more cues at a rapid pace. The quality in wood, inlay materials (using cheap plastic or decals), craftsmanship, attention to detail, service, it all went downhill with a lot of these companies, but they had to meet the demand for their product. The quality was gone, and soon afterwards, so was the demand.

IMO, the people that produced the ealy 80's models of McDermott cues (mainly the C & D series) made the best production cues EVER. I have been shooting with my McDermott D-21 since 1985 and McDermott has ALWAYS provided me with outstanding service. The cue hits just as good as it did the first day I had it.

As for Meucci - if you dig around a little you can find some nice treasures out there, like the cue type of cue that Holly described. Bob Meucci put out some fantastic cues (as well as some junk) but I would not dismiss all of their cues are garbage. I have a friend here in Orlando that shoots with a nice, older Meucci and he does a pretty good job getting the balls into the pockets with it.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Why Bash Meucci?

Hit is subjective.

Durability may not be the best, but those old Meuccis played superbly and were worth their modest cost regardless of quality issues.

I have a Crown Jewel that I dearly love as art and as a player. Bob was an early innovator and labored to produce lower deflection cues with good feel. He deserves credit for that. He didn't just take apart somebody's cue and start making copies...he innovated.

His cues played great in the 80's. I watched Steve McAninch spin his rock to the finals of the Akron Open and defeat a whos who of top players to take the cash...all with a Meucci. Denis Hatch has also beaten everybody at one point or another with a Meucci.

Accu-Stats lovers where are you? How many big time tournaments did Bob Meucci sponsor? PLENTY! He was a great promoter of the sport and the pro players. What about Power Pool. Pool School and Trick Shots...three of the best instructional videos ever offered. Rempe and Loree Jon told all. Greats like Louie Roberts contributed too. Bob Meucci produced them! Bob has done more than the vast majority of cuemakers to contribute to this great sport. If not only for his cue and innovative approach, for his commitment to pool and its players.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I've had and still have quite a few. From the early 80's till now. I think they are still a good cue for the cost. I like the hit and like it or not Bob was on the fore front of alot of technology being used today.

Besides, I've yet to seen a plastic inlay effect the playability of a cue , it's not like it's in the heart of the cue. . . oh wait , better ask Predator (and others) about that. :D

Production peices of any kind are all have one thing in common. There are some good and some bad out there no matter how hard you try in QC. The more you get out in the market the more you will see of each.

Anyway . . .

5ballcharlie

GHOSTBUSTER
Silver Member
ccn7 said:
No need to get all bent out of shape about it. You gave your opinion, i gave mine..You want to insult me and my Meucci go for it. You probably couldnt hit a ball into a rail with any cue.Your attempt to be funny probably equals your attempt to play pool. The quote "they make good firewood" has been around a long time so dont think your so cleaver as to come up with that saying all by your genius self.

dont ya hate when some asshole tries to flame you about your opinions