What's the Plan? 1

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at it more I like the stun float on 5 going between 8 and 3 and not going to the rail. Get past the 3-8 line and then recalculate.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
app4dstn, thanks for contributing! I had a hard time following your pocket abbreviations, but I figured it might be a labeling system I'm just not familiar with.

The player did pocket the 5-ball, so Bob's end pattern from the 14-ball is still intact. Here's where the player ended up. Spoiler: The player plays the 7-ball, but what's the best way to do so for whatever is next? The shot on the 7-ball isn't perfectly straight but has a very slight downtable angle.

1i.jpg

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
app4dstn, thanks for contributing! I had a hard time following your pocket abbreviations, but I figured it might be a labeling system I'm just not familiar with.

The player did pocket the 5-ball, so Bob's end pattern from the 14-ball is still intact. Here's where the player ended up. Spoiler: The player plays the 7-ball, but what's the best way to do so for whatever is next? The shot on the 7-ball isn't perfectly straight but has a very slight downtable angle.

View attachment 477580

When you get to that point there are a variety of ways to get on the 3. I would have rolled down for the stripe near the foot rail then 7 -strip in the side - 6 key ball in same side as 3 but when the balls are sitting that good there are multiple options.

To me the key to the rack was the 11 into the stripe next to the 6 to open up the cluster and what I struggle with is figuring out exactly where those balls will come to a stop. I usually just run into them and try to make sure I have an insurance ball. Not smart enough most of the time to know exactly what the layout will look like afterward.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like 7, 6, 15 and then 2 rails from the 12. (Maybe 1 rail.) I really don't like the balls in the middle of the table as key balls. Where you shoot the 15 depends on the exact shot you leave on the 6. Minimize cue ball movement here.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player played a stop shot on the 7-ball to land here. Is Bob's end pattern still the way to go? Are there any other options?

1J.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since there are few options at the end of the run, I'll post twice per day. The player drew off of the 6-ball to land here. Any changes to Bob's end pattern? How would you play the last two balls?

1K.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player went to the left side rail off of the 15-ball to leave this angle on the 12-ball.

1L.jpg

Then one rail off of the 12-ball to this position on the 3-ball break shot.

1M.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Review and Video

Review: 8, 13, 1, 4, 10, 11 into cluster, 14, 5, 7, 6, 15, 12, 3 break ball. Although you may have approached the rack differently, after reviewing the whole rack, did the player make all wise choices? How many times did he have to change his plan?

Here's the clip of Thorsten Hohmann at the 2015 Dragon Promotions and Andy Cloth World 14.1 Tournament streamed by AZBtv.

https://youtu.be/h4jsrB5DqQY

1A.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Review: 8, 13, 1, 4, 10, 11 into cluster, 14, 5, 7, 6, 15, 12, 3 break ball. Although you may have approached the rack differently, after reviewing the whole rack, did the player make all wise choices? How many times did he have to change his plan?
The rack looked pretty smooth.

On the 15 ball, I think he could have played a stun shot and not gone to a cushion, which would have achieved the general goal of minimizing cue ball movement. Instead he played the roller to the cushion. The natural angle of the roll brought him to a perfect angle on the key ball. Player's choice on that one.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These look so easy until
I try them myself

the game mystifies me,makes me dog it
shots that i usually make in one pocket are
suddenly very hard

i wonder why

Last edited: