Gus Szamboti 70's

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Well that's an interesting take.. OR you can remove the appraisals that were driven by ridiculousness, and see that the offers you received were well within the real life appraisals. Which shows that some people actually pay attention and are not afraid to actually put out a real number based on the true market that reflect recent sales.

I can tell you with absolute certainty, that there have been bigger, all original cues, that have sold for bigger numbers in the last month, let alone 20 years.

This cue is the perfect example for a lot of things going on in the industry. People who still think its 1998, still no recognition or respect for the condition aspect of vintage cues, especially all original examples in fine condition.

You sir, are a gambler. Put it back in the safe, and bring it back out in 10-15 years... See which way the market went.... I like it.. a 15 year bet. Hope it works out for you, I am sure we all do...

JV

Well, it looks like this is coming to a close with no posts for 10 days. I hope I was able to provide some insight for the group by posting the numbers I received both in appraisal and offers. To recap the appraisals, after throwing oiut the highest and lowest, ranged from $10,000-$18,000 and the offers I received ranged from $5,000-$13,500. I think this does not bode well for the market or at least the high end market when a cue of this quality that hasn't even been seen for over 20 years generated so few offers but it is what it is so I will try this again in 10-15 years and hopefully things will have changed for the better. I again want to thank the many people that offered their help and suggestions. This is exactly what a coimmunity like this is for and several of you went above and beyond with your help. Thanks again

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
I still say that anyone that walks away from $13,500.00 is greedy and foolish.I have seen this happen before.It happened to me with a Burton Spain cue as well as a Bushka.I was offered a good price,I passed and then years later it was ignored and not even an offer was made.Ever heard that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?Just saying .Good luck .BTW,a nice Gus just sold on the Bay for ,$7,100.00.
Marc

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I still say that anyone that walks away from $13,500.00 is greedy and foolish.I have seen this happen before.It happened to me with a Burton Spain cue as well as a Bushka.I was offered a good price,I passed and then years later it was ignored and not even an offer was made.Ever heard that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?Just saying .Good luck .BTW,a nice Gus just sold on the Bay for ,$7,100.00.
Marc

It wasn't a Szamboti it was a Balabushka with a non veneered Gus Szamboti prong... $7100 seems right for that cue and it's condition IMO...

Dak21st

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much would Barry charge now to make identical copy and how long is the wait?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much would Barry charge now to make identical copy and how long is the wait?

I heard somewhere that Barry's book is closed. I could be wrong. Many moons ago I heard he was over 10 years.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
This was a Balabushka, and the 7100 is misleading, the case and letter are an easy 3-400 in value. The unveneered prongs are very rare. We have had two of those Szambotis and both sold very quickly and for more than I thought they would at the time.

So I think this helped this cue. All in all, a very solid price for this cue,

JV

Marc

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have there been any new developments about taking cues with ivory to cue shows as far as confiscation, etc?

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
just returned from International Cue Collectors Show in Vegas, there was many collections w/ ivory in cues, inc Szamboti's. i had 3 Gus's, a Barry, Schick, 2 Searing's, PFD, Runde all w/ ivory. Don Sherman AKA Sure Man Cues email suremancues77@gmail.com.. phone 989-305-6454

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only see pictures of the shafts. Were the cue pictures removed, or am I just looking in the wrong place? From its description, it sounds like it is similar to the 'Nick Varner' Szamboti in the 'for sale' area?

hachi808

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only see pictures of the shafts. Were the cue pictures removed, or am I just looking in the wrong place? From its description, it sounds like it is similar to the 'Nick Varner' Szamboti in the 'for sale' area?
He probably took the photos off. Only similarity is the dots @tops of points.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

OP CUE PRETTY AWESOME CUE-
"I don't know where the pics went....
If I had the $$ I would get it"

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the pictures down because the interest in this forum had run its course and I was looking for other avenues such as in person cue shows,etc. This is what sparked my question about the ivory issues because of a scare I had heard about earlier this summer and I wanted to know if anything had changed about that.

hachi808

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the pictures down because the interest in this forum had run its course and I was looking for other avenues such as in person cue shows,etc. This is what sparked my question about the ivory issues because of a scare I had heard about earlier this summer and I wanted to know if anything had changed about that.
I thought your inlays are MOP. Only ferrules are ivory.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

TILT9

Banned
OK... you have an $18,000.00 Szambotti ,
a link to Flicker which either wants me to join or loads my computer with more cookies than a bakery ,
and the only thing I can see when I finally get through is the bottom end of
2 very dirty , in need of complete restorative work shaft brass inserts and god awful looking joint collars ,
and I still don't see the almost $20 Grand butt??
But judging by the bottom end of 2 filthy dirty shafts that tell me what the $20 Grand estimated value butt looks like ,
and after dragging every high roller that Az forums have in it's register into your post...
(should I stop? am I being over zealous? would you like me to continue?)

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just returned from International Cue Collectors Show in Vegas, there was many collections w/ ivory in cues Don

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to respond to my ivory question. I am glad there have been no problems for people visiting/selling at cue shows

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to ask about something one of the people in this forum said to me in an earlier post regarding my question about taking my cue to a cue show. He said the following....

"05carbondrz March 18, 2017
...... and attendees are not supposed to shop Cues around,Only Dealers who pay for a Spot."

Is this the actual state of affairs right now? I would have thought that dealers would like people bringing their cue to a show and offering it for sale. When I was a coin dealer a good portion of the business I did at coin shows was buying coins from the attendees walking around with their coins.

If this is the case then I will abandon my thoughts of attending an upcoming show. Thanks in advance for all the great advice I have received from this forum.

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shopping one cue around is perfectly fine and acceptable. Shopping a group of cues to attendees as opposed to the dealers who paid to be there is where things go south.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes more sense. I was hoping to be able to show the cue to several people in person at one time which seemed like an efficient way to get some exposure and maybe make a deal

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc
It wasn't a Szamboti it was a Balabushka with a non veneered Gus Szamboti prong... $7100 seems right for that cue and it's condition IMO...

That's a phenomenon of the internet - if people see the same item for sale for too long of a period, it loses value as they feel that if others aren't biting, then it must not be worth that much. I remember a couple of loaded cocobola Herceks ten years ago that sat around at a very low price for ages. I wanted to buy one of them, but I wondered if something wasn't wrong with them. Now they are long off the market and I'm sure their value is right where it should be.

If you are either buying or selling, you HAVE to know what the item is worth, or you need to consign it to someone who does. The cue market is not all that great at the moment for high-end vintage, so if you don't like the current market value, just wait.

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
Logdog, bring it to the Derby City Classic. it is safe there. i have 3 Guz's, a Barry, maybe 2. Sure Man Cues both. would love to see it. might be able to help you out. regards, Don Sherman.... sureman183