Simonis vs. Championship Cloth

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Well, I must admit...I was warned about switching to Simonis cloth.

When I first had my new table installed, I had Championship cloth put on. I used the table every day...and not one rip. After almost two years, virtually every square inch on the cloth had a nice white spot on it...but it never ripped or tore when jumping or shooting a masse shot.

I was warned by the owner of a pool hall that I occasionally go to that I should stick with the Championship cloth. Well, I wanted to give Simonis 860 a try. But now almost every single jump shot that I shoot, sure enough, a nice little rip in the cloth.

I've only had the Simonis on for a couple months, but I think when I change it again I will definitely go back to Championship.

I'm sure that others here have also experienced this difference in these two cloths when it comes to durability and tears or rips in the cloth. Do any of you also prefer Championship cloth over Simonis?

mworkman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Championship vs. simonis

If you are talking about Championships Tour Edition 24oz, I think it is the best. It is very fast and durable. Looks good also. My old table had it on it and when I bought a new table I thought I would save some money and used Mercury Ultra. I'm not happy with it as it not holding up well at all compared to the Tour edition. When it's time to replace I'm going with the Tour Edition again. As far as whether it lasts longer then Simonis 860 I don't know for sure.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take it from a room owner

Tour Championship lasts twice as long in a pool room. Simonis is famous for developing small nicks and holes in the cloth. In a pool room it looks like a mess in a few months. When Simonis gave me a good deal I went back to them but now changing all back to championship. They have now come out with another cloth that supposedly does not stain. What a godsend that would be. Anyone know if it is any good?

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nfty9er said:
Tour Championship lasts twice as long in a pool room. Simonis is famous for developing small nicks and holes in the cloth. In a pool room it looks like a mess in a few months. When Simonis gave me a good deal I went back to them but now changing all back to championship. They have now come out with another cloth that supposedly does not stain. What a godsend that would be. Anyone know if it is any good?
I agree, Tour Edition is the way to go, even before others wear out, it plays better.

Tracy

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
mworkman said:
If you are talking about Championships Tour Edition 24oz, I think it is the best. It is very fast and durable. Looks good also. My old table had it on it and when I bought a new table I thought I would save some money and used Mercury Ultra. I'm not happy with it as it not holding up well at all compared to the Tour edition. When it's time to replace I'm going with the Tour Edition again. As far as whether it lasts longer then Simonis 860 I don't know for sure.

Sorry...yes, it was the Tour Edition that I had. Wore extremely well (compared with the Simonis). The other poster worded it better...a lot of nicks and little holes (not really tears or rips)....just couldn't think of good wording for the nicks and holes at the time.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Get_A_Grip said:
Sorry...yes, it was the Tour Edition that I had. Wore extremely well (compared with the Simonis). The other poster worded it better...a lot of nicks and little holes (not really tears or rips)....just couldn't think of good wording for the nicks and holes at the time.
If you don't shoot a lot of masses and jump shots, do they hold up about the same?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
iacas said:
If you don't shoot a lot of masses and jump shots, do they hold up about the same?

I think that they would probably hold-up about the same without the jumps and masses'. But I'm figuring, what good is a home table if I can't practice these types of shots that won't come-up that often when playing against someone else.

I thought that the white spots bugged me...but I'd rather have white spots all over my table than nicks and little holes.

Hey, doesn't anyone know the best way to "repair" these little nicks or holes? Maybe not repair, but to keep them down flush with the cloth so their not that noticable.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I like the Champion Tour Edition all the way.

Nfty9er- I think that's the Valley Ultra cloth which is the same as the Mercury Ultra but with Teflon. Don't know if it's available with the backing though.

Get_A_Grip- What were the white spots?

Terry

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Tbeaux said:
I like the Champion Tour Edition all the way.

Nfty9er- I think that's the Valley Ultra cloth which is the same as the Mercury Ultra but with Teflon. Don't know if it's available with the backing though.

Get_A_Grip- What were the white spots?

Terry

You know, the white or discolored wear spots when you scuff the cloth good from a jump or masse. I guess I keep saying "white" spots, but I guess they are more of a scuff-mark or discoloration.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Superglue tiny holes

Most of the local halls repair the Simonis holes with a drop of thin super glue (not gel) with a coin and a ball placed on top of the glue to keep it flat while it dries. Plays OK and keeps them from getting bigger.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
EDRJR said:
Most of the local halls repair the Simonis holes with a drop of thin super glue (not gel) with a coin and a ball placed on top of the glue to keep it flat while it dries. Plays OK and keeps them from getting bigger.

Ha, OK thanks. I did one with the super-glue GEL. Worked OK, but now spot is blackish-brown...lol.

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
I have Championship and in a year of regular use it has held up very well so far.

LWW

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going on 2 years with mine and have been very happy with it.

As noted, just a few small pinhole type marks.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Championship cloth I played on seemed to play very similar to Simonis. We had the Simonis-like Championship on the front two action tables, and the rest of the tables had a cheaper type of Championship that was like fuzzy carpeting on the tables. That was the worst cloth I've played on.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Is there any difference in the way they play?

Thank you.

Richard

The Simonis 860 and the Championship Tour Edition play very similar. Don't notice any difference with respect to the speed of the cloth.

SirBanksALot

NoMakeANoBallANoMoreA
Silver Member
Granito Cloth

I have had italian made Granito (sp?) cloth on two tables and it was absolutely fantastic. No rips and the cloth stayed fast for a long, long time. Muellers Rec sells it. The last time I checked - it was less $$$ than Simonis or Master.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I beg to differ

Get_A_Grip said:
The Simonis 860 and the Championship Tour Edition play very similar. Don't notice any difference with respect to the speed of the cloth.

This has been hashed over many times over the last several months and the consensus was that the Tour Championship was definitely faster. And I concur as I play on both almost daily.

Last edited:

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Champ 3030 (Tour Edition)

Great cloth. Just slightly faster than Simonis. Wears excellent. Have it on my GC III. Won't try any other (Well maybe Granito). Cheaper than Simonis too!!!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
nfty9er said:
This has been hashed over many times over the last several months and the consensus was that the Tour Championship was definitely faster. And I concur as I play on both almost daily.

You know, that might be true. When I first got the Champ. I thought that it might have been faster than the Simonis that I've played on. My best comparison though was playing daily on my worn two-year old Champ. Tour Ed. cloth and then switching to Simonis.

Restated: The new Simonis 860 seems to play at the same speed as the 2-year old "worn" Champ. Tour Editiion cloth.