Pool table light design for 8 foot table, self build

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I have asked the question and been told the best size for an 8' table is a 6' x 3' light. The issue that I have with this advice is not is the area appropriate for the table size, but it would require some very specialized bulbs and fixtures.

6' or 3' bulbs are not common at all. I am considering using 4 - 4' bulbs that have been offset to encompass the entire length and width of the light. The only other way I can think of to address this concern is 2' bulbs.

Something like this, where the light is 4' (represented by "*")and the dead space is 2' (represented as "+", as showing the fixture is difficult with ascii:

****************++++++++
++++++++****************
****************++++++++
++++++++****************

I can envision there being "hot spots" and "cold spots" with this design and its why I have not made any decisions as of yet.

I would like some feedback if anyone else has tried this concept and its effectiveness. I plan on using diffusers, of course I will need to modify the standard 2' x 4' by rotating them 90 degrees and cutting down to 3' and use three of them.

Any feedback I can get would be very appreciated.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
have you considered making the fixture 4' X 6' and running the 4 foot lights in the other direction?

<--4ft-->
----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------
---------------- 6ft.
----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------

I know that's not really what you were looking for but it may be a alternative.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
As far as why not 24" bulbs, basically because of cost. I did mention it as another option, or we can call it "Option B'".

"Option 'C '" which would be a change in the overall dimensions is also feasible but I suspect the reason I was told use 3' wide lighting is because of appearance, a light wider than the table may appear "out of place" and it would be putting out light well past the playing surface. I don't know if this may create a potential shadowing issue but I can understand that being a result. If I was going to go to a larger dimension I think I would just go 4 x 8 and be done with it, so at least the light was over sized in both directions.

Thanks for the comments, as I am sure since 8' tables are quite common in homes (why couldn't I have had another 2' x 2' room, id be on a 9er!) that I won't be the only one who will benefit from the discussion :)

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are tubes the only option?

I have a four bulb homemade fixture over my 9' table. I would think three would do nicely over an 8' table. I'm using CFLs.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since this is a build it yourself project. Start with the bulb(s) and size the fixture to deal with the bulbs you choose.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I would be more inclined to use a larger light, as many of the materials are going to be "waste" on the smaller light. I guess the question is more of why is 3' x 6' preferred over 4' x 8'? I like I said, only thing that I can perceive is it would "look" unusual.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Take a look at my avatar. You'll see the 4X8' light I made, over my 9' table. Although my wife might disagree, I don't think it looks out of place at all.

If you go with the 3X6' design, I think your alternating/overlapping bulb idea would work just fine.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a look at my avatar. You'll see the 4X8' light I made, over my 9' table. Although my wife might disagree, I don't think it looks out of place at all.

If you go with the 3X6' design, I think your alternating/overlapping bulb idea would work just fine.

Sweet-did you have plans when building that light, or wing it?

That is a great looking light and 'Im sure has worked out very well. Thanks for sharing.

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While your offset setup seems good - you mentioned the cost was too high for 24" bulbs. Have you looked at the U shaped bulbs? they are usually 22.5 ish inches and I think they run around $10 each. It would require figuring in the width also, but might give more even lighting.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
While your offset setup seems good - you mentioned the cost was too high for 24" bulbs. Have you looked at the U shaped bulbs? they are usually 22.5 ish inches and I think they run around $10 each. It would require figuring in the width also, but might give more even lighting.

I didn't mean to state the cost is "too high" I meant that it is much higher than the 4' overlap concept. I haven't double checked yet but I believe the lighting portion would virtually double with using 2' lights because most of the cost is the fixture and not the bulb.

I happened to see that light in the home room thread and thought it was very cool it matches the pool table design. the 4x8 definitely is correct for a 9' table. I have yet to see anyone weigh in on their opinion of the same size light on the 8' table.

Because of the cost of 2' bulbs comparitively to the overall light im thinking I will lean that direction. Of course my table is in my avatar, it is a Santa Anna so making the light match the profile will be quite involved! Finding the side wood and matching the stain in itself will be a project on its own :)