Fast Eddie's Stick From The Hustler

winners07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Eddie Parker

Thats blasphemy

Fast Eddie Parker came to see me back a few years before his death, he wanted me to make him a copy of his balabushka cue. he gave me pictures of the cue and he came back in a few months to pick it up, I took some pictures of him shooting with the cue. not sure what ever happen to this cue maybe his wife still has it. really enjoyed Eddie coming over he had a lot of stories to tell. he put on a good show also.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,649

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Ever since the early 70's after the release of the film "The Hustler", in every town, city or hamlet in America, just about anyone and everyone that's known to have used the handle "Fast" with their nickname handle (presuming of course if that person were still alive they'd have to be in their 70's today to be chronologically accurate and consistent with the original film's genoire) has either personally claimed to be or is supposedly alleged to be, the actual person the fictional film character, "Fast Eddie Felson" was based upon.

Think about it....it's so easy for some. nay any, local hustler to have claimed this when in truth, if ever there was such a character, he would have probably played in the pool halls of Philly, Chicago, Newark, Manhattan or Brooklyn where there were larger than life pool figures and legends like Willie Mosconi actually playing et al. I frequently played at Ames growing up in the 60's & 70's back in NYC. Now if ever there was an actual, genuine pool hall location ideally suited for a character like Minnesota fats, Ames Billiards was the place.

HI I played at Ames in New York City also played at Mcgirs there was small tables at Mcgirs and also had a 6 by 12 Snooker Table with tight
pockets.

Played a player by the name of the Destroyer ask him how did you get the name the Destroyer. He told me that he destroyed his player
those were the good old days of pocket billiards.

Leonard from Montreal Quebec Canada

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CORRECTION AND ENLIGHTENMENT
Remember me, guys. I used to be Alfie Taylor.
I have a newspaper article from Cincinnati that tells the story about when Walter Tevis worked at Tony Kavanaugh's pool room while going to school in Lexington. Tony said he told Walter countless stories about his close friend, hard drinking, fast living Eddie Taylor. and the paper showed a wall of his pool room totally dedicated to articles and other things about Eddie. Tony said Tevis definitely based his character on Eddie. Eddie's modesty always denied that to the public but I was the farthest thing from public and he and I talked about Tony Kavenaugh and their friendship a lot. When Tony Kavenaugh was murdered Eddie couldn't sleep for weeks.
I buried my dear friend, Eddie in a small cemetery in the woods outside of Clinton Tennessee.

I wonder if the others who stake claim to the title would have liked to played Eddie. I thought not.
Nice to be back with my friends at Az Billiards.
Keep it nice, Alfie

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Two pics from the movie.

Attachments

• the-hustler-fats-eddie.jpg
    the-hustler-fats-eddie.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,202
  • hustler1redos_0000_Layer 6.jpg
    hustler1redos_0000_Layer 6.jpg