Galveston Trip Report in pictures.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I got into Galveston today and took some pictures. I am keeping a journal of sorts on my blog if you want to hear all the gory details and random observations. In this thread I am just going to post some pictures and captions from each day. So here we go.

Feature table pit. Very nice set up for spectators. Horrible lighting set up. I am impressed with the bleacher set up. They went all out.

3927902541_8ed5c7a463_o.jpg

Pro arena side. 40 9 footers. The screen at the end shows all the scores for ongoing matches. Each table has a little electronic scoring set up. Cool idea.

3928685092_ac3ccdb71a_o.jpg

More of the bleachers that I am absolutely fascinated by. The reason why is because I have an idea what something like this costs.

3927902505_20330207ce_o.jpg

Amateur side and vendors. Meuller came out and set up their full display. Scott Murphy's booth is on the left. Dude has some nice lumber. The floor plan is goofy IMO with dead ends and no thru flow but it is a first effort. Vendor morale is tepid. Amateurs pay the bills and they are in short supply.

3927902597_fd51047edb_o.jpg

Ran into my man Stevie Moore and he showed me his new set of cues from Steve Lomax. I just got a cue from Steve myself and I am in love with the thing.

3928685020_54216cd6e3_o.jpg

Playing cue on the left, break cue on the right. The wood in both is just nuts.

3927902487_59233fde11_o.jpg

3928685044_1aa7d3cb69_o.jpg

Stevie being Stevie he started clowning around and I got these shots. LOL.

3927902449_4cb35dd596_o.jpg

3928790878_75359d9bcb_o.jpg

I am going to try and post pics here and update my blog each day. You can check out my mindless ramblings here http://theactionreport.blogspot.com/

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
About time!

Thanks Justin.... It's been very strange that there have been very limited reports/updates coming out of that place and no pictures up until now. I noticed they have some pictures now on the website, but opening up a few of them, they almost were the same size as the thumbnail.

Get a picture of Artie B. and Billy I. together. I need some headshots for some future Photoshop Fun Projects:grin:

Thanks again, us people that can't get to these tournaments, really appreciate anyone that gives us updates and pics!

shayla

BODY - MIND - SOUL
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the pictures! My husband is there all week for the team event, so I've been wondering what the place looked like. I must admit, it was way more than I expected from the first year of an event. Looks like they got a lot of things right the first time, especially the bleachers situation.

Does Blue Moon sponspor Stevie Moore?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Thanks for the pics. I hadn't seen Stevie in a while, man his hair got long!

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Thanks so much for the pictures! My husband is there all week for the team event, so I've been wondering what the place looked like. I must admit, it was way more than I expected from the first year of an event. Looks like they got a lot of things right the first time, especially the bleachers situation.

Does Blue Moon sponspor Stevie Moore?

Yes. I asked him about that and he said he just picked them up. Said they were based out of Texas so I don't know if it a distributor or the actual brewery or what. Whatever it is, it is great news. They couldn't have picked a better guy.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shayla...Do you know how many teams actually registered? Snce JCIN mentioned that amateurs were in "short supply", I suspect the team count is pretty low too (likely having to do with the definition of pro vs. amateur).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

My husband is there all week for the team event, so I've been wondering what the place looked like. I must admit, it was way more than I expected from the first year of an event. Looks like they got a lot of things right the first time, especially the bleachers situation.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Shayla...Do you know how many teams actually registered? Snce JCIN mentioned that amateurs were in "short supply", I suspect the team count is pretty low too (likely having to do with the definition of pro vs. amateur).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

In the 8 ball amateur team event the last I heard was 30ish. They also reduced the $50,000 first place to $9,000.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
if you read JCIN's blog he said the amateur event prize fund is getting cut from 50 thou to 9,000! That's a massive drop! WTF! I would be pissed if I was playing in the event.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Justin, great pictures.
Great report as well.
They are showing the gabe frosty match over and over again
if you wanted to catch it.

Anyway. looking forward to more great reporting from you,
and more excellent pictures.

lots of hugs
mrs.g

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
These pics are much appreciated, Justin. Nice blog article, too. This is great for those who couldn't make it or decided not to go.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Looks awesome. Cant wait to get there. Should be rolling in thursday night
Ill be walking around with my jack justis that says "Dennis" on the side. If yall see me say hi. Cant wait to c this thing. And hopefully meet some azers.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Great pics man. Maybe you can get some pics when fans are actually sitting in the bleachers. I am curious o see the spectator turnout.

Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
that is a big drop in the amateur team event prize money. But look at it this way:

Mens Amateur Team 8-Ball
Entrants: 36
1st Place Prize: $9,000.00

Men’s 9-Ball Amateur
Entrants: 152
1st Place Prize: $10,000.00

One Pocket
Entrants: 88
1st Place Prize: $15,000.00

Women's 9-Ball
Entrants: 30
1st Place Prize: $6,000.00

Open 8-Ball
Entrants: 91
1st Place Prize: $15,500.00

Wheelchair 8-Ball
Entrants: 17
1st Place Prize: $3,250.00

Men's 8-Ball Amateur
Entrants: 171
1st Place Prize: $10,000.00

Women's Amateur 8-Ball
Entrants: 37
1st Place Prize: $5,000.00

Open 10-Ball
Entrants: 75
1st Place Prize: ? but probably at least $10-15k at least?

Mixed Scotch Doubles 8-Ball
Entrants: 22
1st Place Prize: $1,600.00

This tournament is the NUTS! I so wish I had planned my vacation time better so I could have gone. Really dogged that one. Hopefully they will do this again next year because this tournament sounds like its panning out to be the best one all year in the USA.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pics man. Maybe you can get some pics when fans are actually sitting in the bleachers. I am curious about the spectator turnout.

I went the day of the Earl/Efren challege match. The seats on the pro side had about 50 people watching, but there was only one or two matches going on. For the Earl/Efren match on the TV table, I would say they were about 75% full(guessing about 100-150 people). SVB and Archer were watching.

I'm not sure what kind of crowd they have when the pro tournament matches are in full swing. Don't know if they did any local advertising(Houston especially) to try to attract the casual fan(if there is such a thing). I hope they do this again next year, but it's no cinch as others have said they will take a substantial loss this year.