Oldest 2pc. Pool Cue about 100 years old or older

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
i would like to see who has the oldest 2pc.pool cue about 100 years old or older.have you ever owned a cue this old ? was it a good player ? tell us about it .ivory joint with wood pin ? ivory ferrule ?.... tell about it even if it is a one piece.thanks

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
I was looking at some old Billiard Digest magazines this past weekend and there was a time line of the cue in one of them. I have a stack of them from the 80's & 90's. I will see if i can find it again. I remember seeing what year the first 2 piece cues were first made, i just glanced at it and thought, there's a keeper. :)

K

King Kong

i have one obtained with an 100 year old one of a kind Brunswick Balke Collender table I bought. There was a rack full of old cues with it and the guy wanted to much for the wall rack and cues. Talked him into selling the table and throw in one of the cues. it is butterfly splice Ivory joint with brass pin in the shaft. black phenolic or something. Can tell its really old because the shaft wood is almost black in color. Very aged!

The cue is in the billiard antique book not it exactly but one like it. plays ok had a old tip on it that got knocked of. Sits in the rack for eye candy only.

Did not get the other cues because guest cant play with them warped and stuff. Left many of the ones in the book with the guy who sold me the table.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue collector friend of mine in IA owns several 100+ yr old 1- & 2-piece cues. Some of them are worth several thousand dollars, others not so much.
As far as age of building 2-piece cues...a German company, B. Finck & Sons, had an 1880 catalog, with over 160 different 1- & 2-piece pool cues, available for purchase through the mail. Several of the designs go back in production to the 1840's There's a picture of that catalog in Stein's Billiard Encyclopedia, on page 275.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
History of the Cue, Billiard digest April 1997

circa 1600: The Cuestick is introduced in Europe.
circa 1750: Charles Boulle makes Marquetry cues for french monarchs.
circa 1768: Cues manufactured in Virginia are exported as far as Boston.
circa 1785: The Jeffrey, a cue with it's end cut at an angle, is introduced.
circa 1789: The end of the cue shaft is rounded, but still tipless.
circa 1800: Chalk is applied to tipless cues to apply friction.
circa 1818: Francios Mingaud invents the Leather cue tip.
1828-33 : Thurston's sells Blue chalk & double layer tips, jointed cues
and balanced weighted cues.
circa 1860: Metal screw introduced.
circa 1875: Albert Garnier rubs beeswax on cue butt to improve grip.
circa 1880: Cloth wraps introduced to Europe.
1894 : Herman Rambow begins working for Brunswick as a mail runner.
1895 : "Irish Linen Fishing Line" introduced as wrap.
1925 : Rambow receives patent for a cue with adjustable balance point.
1940 : Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co. introduces "Willie Hoppe"
model with brass to brass joint.
1925-88 : Harvey Martin, Frank Paradise, George Balabushka and Gus
Zamboti and many others elevate custom cue design.
1965-present: Companies start mass producing cues such as Mcdermott, Meucci, Mali, Viking, Huebler and many others.
1986 : Balabushka cue featured in Color of Money motion picture.
1992 : American Cuemakers Association founded.
1994 : Robot used for R&D for Predator cue.
1995 : First showcase of American Cue art opens in L.A.
1996 : Thomas Wayne cue sells for $103,000.

Hope this info helps.:)

C.H.;)

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I would have thought the first 2 piece cue came from someone breaking it over a hustler's head and then repairing it by joining together with a screw.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
A lot of things ...

TheBook said:
I would have thought the first 2 piece cue came from someone breaking it over a hustler's head and then repairing it by joining together with a screw.

have been repaired with a good screw .... lol