Gandy Cues circa 1972

oldcat

Registered
This is my first posting. I have a few cues in need of identification. My grandfather bought a pool table and all the "fixins" from a place in Niles Illinois called Wico corporation back in the early 1970s. With the bulk purchase he got two decent 2 piece cues. I had a few local cuemakers look at them and both pretty much said that these were Gandy cues. One thought Viking because of the pearlized plastic rings. Viking told me that wasn't theirs it was a Gandy. However I would like more information. What models are they? Who made them? etc. I am 99 percent sure these are Gandy cues. The "Blue" one was always mine and the other my grandfather used. The wrap eventually fell apart on mine so I had it rewrapped. Now that I found the same white with light green specked Irish linin, I will have it rewrapped with the original style wrap. The weight bolt is the same on both.

Attachments

• DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,737
  • DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,667
  • DSC_0160.jpg
    DSC_0160.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,529
  • DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,495
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody posted some Gandy catalogs here a while back. We can search for those, I have them on my PC at hoime but not at work. They do look like Gandy cues. Ricco Cervantes worked in that shop, but I am not sure off the top of my head what years.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The buttcap and weight bolt look similar to my A. E. Schmidt cue, but the pin isn't the same...this one looks more rounded...mine is pointed. A. E. Schmidt had Adam and Viking making some cues for them in the late 60s-early 70s and Viking used pearlescent rod in some of them.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the catalog I have saved. Your weight bolt looks correct and the aluminum shaft inserts, but not the pins. The Gandy I have has a pointed pin.

d087ae7c.jpg
[/IMG]
0a1f0b5a.jpg
[/IMG]

My Gandy pin and weight bolt:
c72577a1.jpg
[/IMG]
e0b27d89.jpg
[/IMG]

oldcat

Registered
I am gettin more and more convinced that my cues are 100 percent Gandy cues. I know the pin isnt that same. But I know with a 100 percent certainty where my grandfather bought the table, cues and accesories. Wico corporation. According to the International Cuemakers Association:

"Bob Meucci: Inducted 2006
Bob started building cues in the early 1960's. In 1968 he took over the cue department at National Tournament Chalk. He founded B.M.C. in Glenview, Illinois in 1969. He also helped set up the WICO cue making operation. "

Glenview is right next to me. Where my grandfather lived was a stonesthrow from there.

Now I have another mystery. The pins.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My A.E. Schmidt buttcap, weight bolt, joints, and pin look similar to yours.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273273&highlight=hawaiianeye

Agreed but the aluminum shaft inserts are a dead giveaway between the two. Here's my whole cue, best I have come up with is a HC-150 in a different color variation than the cue pictured in the brochure. Notice the ringwork in the buttcap matches the veneers, it's a neat old cue.

7b82cb7b.jpg
[/IMG]
48ae545f.jpg
[/IMG]
6cf26c64.jpg
[/IMG]
b94745b5.jpg
[/IMG]
a8c64eeb.jpg
[/IMG]

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... They do look like Gandy cues. Ricco Cervantes worked in that shop, but I am not sure off the top of my head what years.

The Blue Book says Ricco worked for Gandy Billiards from 1971 to 1973.

maloneld

Beautiful cue. How much do you think that cue is valued at? I have the same cue in the green version... just like the brochure. Just wondering myself.

Last edited: