when is it time to accept you just dont have it

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's something that I taught you years ago, Larry. Focus on positive reinforcement (even when you don't hit it "perfect") to help offset set negative emotions...which are bound to happen when we play. If there's never any positive self-affirmation, then only negative energy accumulates...and at some point will cause a "meltdown" of some kind. Seems like this is a powerful issue (received from your father) in your search for a more even performance.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think you just need some positive affirmation.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellow struggler not a pro

I practice significantly more than you and I still find improvement very slow. Every person has their individual strengths and weaknesses. Practicing things you are naturally good at you improve faster than things that don't come easy. Math, no problem, music or foreign languages no way, physical things I am a 70%er compared to the naturals. So I have to work WAY harder than some and not so hard as others.

Scott Lee teaches there are no easy shots and no hard shots, just shots. He is right. Missing a shot we believe to be easy is often just a matter of a lack of focus because we take the shot for granted. You and I both know how to make an "easy" shot but we both still miss them. I have a playing partner who does not shoot as well as me but can focus much better. He almost never misses shots within his range. He is able to take every shot totally seriously like the world depends on it. I simply can not do that.

There is so much to it, physical co-ordination, mental attitude, ability to focus, natural talent and desire. If you enjoy the game you will get better. If you only enjoy it when you win you will either be frustrated all the time or quit.

At a state finals this season I had TWO of my team quit and go home. One never played a match. Both players only enjoy playing when they win and had such high expectations they could not even compete after a bad beat. We were in a position to win and with two forfeits still finished 6th. For my own sake I joined a team of lower skilled, less intense, players this season. :smile:

I hope you can start really playing to enjoy the game. If so I believe you will improve faster than you expect. My best to you either way.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I practice significantly more than you and I still find improvement very slow. Every person has their individual strengths and weaknesses. Practicing things you are naturally good at you improve faster than things that don't come easy. Math, no problem, music or foreign languages no way, physical things I am a 70%er compared to the naturals. So I have to work WAY harder than some and not so hard as others.

Scott Lee teaches there are no easy shots and no hard shots, just shots. He is right. Missing a shot we believe to be easy is often just a matter of a lack of focus because we take the shot for granted. You and I both know how to make an "easy" shot but we both still miss them. I have a playing partner who does not shoot as well as me but can focus much better. He almost never misses shots within his range. He is able to take every shot totally seriously like the world depends on it. I simply can not do that.

There is so much to it, physical co-ordination, mental attitude, ability to focus, natural talent and desire. If you enjoy the game you will get better. If you only enjoy it when you win you will either be frustrated all the time or quit.

At a state finals this season I had TWO of my team quit and go home. One never played a match. Both players only enjoy playing when they win and had such high expectations they could not even compete after a bad beat. We were in a position to win and with two forfeits still finished 6th. For my own sake I joined a team of lower skilled, less intense, players this season. :smile:

I hope you can start really playing to enjoy the game. If so I believe you will improve faster than you expect. My best to you either way.
skip i appreciate your reply and wish you happiness amd success in your journey
in pool

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
i understand we are not all blessed with the talent of players like shane and alex
or have spent the hours of practice from a young age like they did
BUT
after how much time and effort and multiple lessons with qualified instructors
and even tho I do run a rack of 9 ball from time to time
I still cant beat the 6/7 ball ghost and miss "easy " shots usually because of stroke flaws ie unintentional spin
i must admit i am getting frustrated that i dont play better than i do
during the week i practice for 1/2-1 hour most days and try to play for 2-3 hours at a time on the weekend
am i being too hard on myself??
but also please answer
when do you have to look in the mirror and admit you will never be an A level player ??

I'm finding that my biggest challenge at this age is concentration. It seems I can play at my level for a couple of hours and then it starts dropping off. Yesterday, in the third hour playing a friend that is better than me, we both commented on how my game had dropped off about 4 levels. That and how we deal with frustration; Getting up out of the chair and seeing once again, that you have no shot. Opponent missed his shot but left me tough for the third time in a row! This happens to all of us in pool and how we deal with it is the key. Do we just chalk it down as part of the game and luck will turn eventually or do we just exclaim how lucky our opponent is and how unlucky we are? How we deal with this mentally has so much to do with how we play. I think we have to train ourselves to have zero reaction to our opponents shots and just come to the table resolute to do our best. Something to strive for.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your more experienced peers will know within a year of a new player in the room picking up a cue, who got bit by the pool bug, if that player will ever make A level.

If you put in a 3 or 4 solid years of gambling and playing your brains out at some phase of your life, and did not make A level, you simply don't possess the eye-hand coordination to obtain it.

Maybe if you play 40-50 hrs. per week for 3-4 yrs. it's possible but that's still a short time frame to become an A player.
It's also unlikely that hand/eye coordination would be the primary problem. Plenty of pool players reach a high level of play while being normal (average) in that area.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I DO HAVE IT....:smile:
i took a lesson with robin dreyer in beaverton oregon
i posted this in the main forum
robin dreyer in beaverton oregon is the best instructor in the USA.... 503-848-0422
imho
i have takes 3 lessons with scott lee......a 3 day lesson with mark wilson
and i do want to say they did help me with my fundamentals
BUT
neither one could fix my tendency to unintentional right hand spin
i was convinced it was my vision center
i am right handed and left eye dominant
BUT IT TOOK ROBIN TO FIND THE PROBLEM AND CORRECT IT...:thumbup::thumbup::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
he was an upper level pro when he played but has devoted the last 30 years to teaching
his methodology to position play and kicking i have never read in a book or the instructors above ever mentioned
IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR GAME GIVE ROBIN A CALL
i have never hit the ball cleaner than i am now...:smile:
without the unintentional spin and his modifications with my stroke
and his systems for positional play
i should be 2 balls better once i own it
ie. put in the table time to have it as automatic
WHICH I WILL DO...:smile:
all my buddies at the pool room
WATCH OUT...:smile:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I DO HAVE IT....:smile:
i took a lesson with robin dreyer in beaverton oregon
i posted this in the main forum
robin dreyer in beaverton oregon is the best instructor in the USA.... 503-848-0422
imho
i have takes 3 lessons with scott lee......a 3 day lesson with mark wilson
and i do want to say they did help me with my fundamentals
BUT
neither one could fix my tendency to unintentional right hand spin
i was convinced it was my vision center
i am right handed and left eye dominant
BUT IT TOOK ROBIN TO FIND THE PROBLEM AND CORRECT IT...:thumbup::thumbup::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
he was an upper level pro when he played but has devoted the last 30 years to teaching
his methodology to position play and kicking i have never read in a book or the instructors above ever mentioned
IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR GAME GIVE ROBIN A CALL
i have never hit the ball cleaner than i am now...:smile:
without the unintentional spin and his modifications with my stroke
and his systems for positional play
i should be 2 balls better once i own it
ie. put in the table time to have it as automatic
WHICH I WILL DO...:smile:
all my buddies at the pool room
WATCH OUT...:smile:

So what was the problem and how did he fix it?

edit: Never mind. I see in the other thread that you aren't telling. I do have to say though that I find it incredulous that if you had presented this problem to Scott or Mark that they wouldn't have given you a fix for it.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

edit: Never mind. I see in the other thread that you aren't telling. I do have to say though that I find it incredulous that if you had presented this problem to Scott or Mark that they wouldn't have given you a fix for it.

Larry, It just seems like AZB posters are not going to allow any outsiders butting in. We've got a relatively unknown instructor that we've found extreme success with and it is obvious that almost everyone on here is biased against anyone else "getting in" the club. Really though, until the naysayers spring for a trip and lesson with Robin, they have not a clue even though the default position is that they do. Take the negative stuff with a grain of salt. We (you and I) know what a fantastic pool teacher Robin is and we are essentially told to keep it to ourselves. We try to share the good news but get blasted from every corner.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry, It just seems like AZB posters are not going to allow any outsiders butting in. We've got a relatively unknown instructor that we've found extreme success with and it is obvious that almost everyone on here is biased against anyone else "getting in" the club. Really though, until the naysayers spring for a trip and lesson with Robin, they have not a clue even though the default position is that they do. Take the negative stuff with a grain of salt. We (you and I) know what a fantastic pool teacher Robin is and we are essentially told to keep it to ourselves. We try to share the good news but get blasted from every corner.

That's a load of crap. Please show me where I even hinted or implied any of the nonsense you wrote above. We are always looking for more instructors. There just aren't enough to go around. And, I don't see where anyone said anything against Robin. So, why even state what you did?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

in·cred·u·lous
[inˈkrejələs]

ADJECTIVE
(of a person or their manner) unwilling or unable to believe something:
neil
beleive it....3 days with mark wilson. not fixed or even specifically identified as what was causing it just that i was consistently 3-5mm off center to the right
my 3rd lesson with scott was specifically to fix it,,,, not fixed or reason specifically identified
on day 1 with robin.......fixed (or at least identified and a remedy provided which worked and was reproducible and the reps over 3 days kept reinforcing it )..:)

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in·cred·u·lous
[inˈkrejələs]

ADJECTIVE
(of a person or their manner) unwilling or unable to believe something:
neil
beleive it....3 days with mark wilson. not fixed or even specifically identified as what was causing it just that i was consistently 3-5mm off center to the right
my 3rd lesson with scott was specifically to fix it,,,, not fixed or reason specifically identified
on day 1 with robin.......fixed (or at least identified and a remedy provided which worked and was reproducible and the reps over 3 days kept reinforcing it )..:)

Well, I am amazed that they didn't find it. Glad you got it fixed. You said that it is unique to you, so why not share what fixed it?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I am amazed that they didn't find it. Glad you got it fixed. You said that it is unique to you, so why not share what fixed it?

its difficult to explain Neil
lets just say once the flaw was discovered
it was like the GPS in your car discovering you made a wrong turn and it starts
RECALCULATING.....:D (robin was the GPS )
giving you a new route to find home...:smile:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis...It's sad that you have to post this negative stuff. Nobody said anything about Robin not being competent, or even a great instructor. Robin and I spoke, both before and after Larry's lesson, and we have many techniques in common. We are planning to meet up the next time I get close to or in Oregon. There is no "secret club", and as Neil pointed out, there is a real dearth of quality instructors out there. Robin is certainly one of those, and that's a bonus.

Scott Lee

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis...It's sad that you have to post this negative stuff. Nobody said anything about Robin not being competent, or even a great instructor. Robin and I spoke, both before and after Larry's lesson, and we have many techniques in common. We are planning to meet up the next time I get close to or in Oregon. There is no "secret club", and as Neil pointed out, there is a real dearth of quality instructors out there. Robin is certainly one of those, and that's a bonus.

Scott Lee

Me being negative? I'm reacting to the negative posts. But, you are correct and I'll admit that all the negative stuff gets to me after a while. I and now bbb are trying to get Robin on the radar as he never seemed to be mentioned in the list of 'great' instructors and when we did post good things, we get blasted from all sides. Robin is never one to "toot his own horn" but we feel it high time he gets known to the pool community. My zeal to do that has been over the top in some instances.

Last edited: