OB or Jacoby shafts?

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I have a McDermott cue and may upgrade to a laminated shaft. I'm not an advanced player, but am thinking ahead. Any thoughts on one being better than the other, or another option that fits a 3/8X10 joint? I know a lot of guys might suggest Predator but I like the idea of made in USA. Thanks for your input.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have limited experience with OB but have a Jacoby Hybrid shafts in two joints. It is a great shaft.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'd personally go with anything but those 2. I believe McDermott makes a couple different ld shafts now.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard nothing but good feedback on OB and Jacoby. Why don't you like either of them?

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I had a 314-2, an OB and a Pechauer Pro plus... I now play regular maple shafts with a 12.5mm dia. Solid maple feels better and plays better for me. I'd like to try a Lakewood shaft at some point. Maybe in the future I'll try LD again, but probably not. Of the 3 though, I liked the OB the best.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of those two I would pick Jacoby any day. Feels better, the quality has been better on those shafts that have gone through me and in my opinion the jacoby just plays better :smile:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I have a McDermott cue and may upgrade to a laminated shaft. I'm not an advanced player, but am thinking ahead. Any thoughts on one being better than the other, or another option that fits a 3/8X10 joint? I know a lot of guys might suggest Predator but I like the idea of made in USA. Thanks for your input.

My son likes OB shafts on his McDermott and has tried 4-5-6 different shafts with it.

The thing is, and LD shaft is not an "upgrade", it's not like you are buying a better car. You are buying the same thing with different performance that may not match how you play or can aim. Also do not confuse "laminated" with "low deflection", using multiple wood pieces in a cue does not do much for deflection. It may help keep it straight and provide even hit feel, but not low deflection.