FS: Original 50s Hoppe Pro

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
*** FS: Original 50s Hoppe Pro ***

I have an original Brunswick Willie Hoppe Titlist Pro cue for sale. Original shaft,
original leather grip, black ferrule, and an incredible original 98%
Brunswick Balk Collender Willie Hoppe Pro label on the butt sleeve. This late 50s cue
is in amazing original and unrestored condition.
LAST PRICE REDUCTION: First $475 - shipped, insured, and sold as is.
Today is the last day. This cue will not be available for sale tomorrow.
Nothing hits like a full-spliced Titlist!!!

HoppePromultiphoto2.jpg

Unrestored:
The shaft is warped, and as you would expect after 50+ years, is not really
playable, but is original. If you plan on converting this cue, you're not going to
use the original shaft anyway... The butt has a slight warp to it, and the original
brass joint collar is tarnished, but will polish to a gleaming finish if you wanted to
polish it up. I don't have calipers myself to give you any measurements, but this
is MUCH beefier than today's cues. I can probably find some if it's absolutely necessary.

Keep as original, or a conversion dream:
The points are sharp and the veneers on this beauty are boldly colored now, even with
50+ years of patina, and will get even brighter if turned for a conversion. The butt wood,
probably rosewood, is a rich brown in color with beautiful grain in the butt
sleeve. The butt sleeve also has the original owners initials very lightly
stamped opposite the label side. Many Hoppe Pros have been found with different
initials stamped in the butt sleve, and it is thought that Brunswick did this
for customers who custom ordered these cues. Collectors have taken note that
custom ordered models with initials like this one, tend to be higher quality
examples of these cues. There is also a very strong original "Willie Hoppe"
signature burnished in the forearm, as well as the cue's weight, '21.'

So there you have it. I have tried to describe my unrestored treasure accurately.
This is a beautiful example of an original, custom ordered late 50s Willie Hoppe Titlist Pro
with a 98% label to keep as a collector's piece, or convert to a stunning new cue.
Good conversions from known makers easily go for $1,000 and up. I paid $1,350 for mine...
and I really enjoy playing with a piece of billiards history like this one. I am now asking
only $475 for this original piece
, shipped, insured, and sold as is. PM me to buy, to
ask questions, or to make a cash offer.

BTW, I am new to AZB, but have already completed transactions with Bamacues, Tikkitavi,
and I also deal with Koinnkid on eBay.

Last edited:

shotmaker

Banned
Rating - 90.9%
10   1   0
hoppe pro difference

Isn't the Hoppe Pro a short splice blank. someone recently told me that under the wrap is an attached handle

It was also said that sometime in the late 50's brunswick ran out of blanks and had them made in japan to keep up with production Maybe by helmstetter
I apoligize if I'm incorrect, but spoke about these with a gentleman just a day or so ago.

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Full splice

No, the Hoppe Pro is the exact same full spliced Titlist blank made by Brunswick. The one piece Titlist was made as a house cue for pool halls, and the Willie Hoppe Pro Titlist two piece model was more portable for players to take from room to room. I have never heard of them being produced outside of the USA, and in the 50s I seriously doubt that we were doing any business with Japan. You know, the bomb and all... :eek:

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Thanks

Thanks Buggs, this cue is the reason that our cues have points and veneers even today. Rambow, Balabushka, and other master cue making legends used these blanks as the foundation for their work. They are beautiful, and nothing hits like a full spliced Titlist!!!

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Price Reduced to Sell!!!

A couple of offers just short, so I reduced the price to make it easy.
Get it QUICK! This cue will sell today! :eek:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
252   2   0
Mr. Hoppe, Do you believe the reason so many people say "nothing hits like a Titlist" is because the majority of cue makers do not use full splice construction?

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Pure potential

The full spliced design has a lot to do with the superb hit and feel of these cues. Also, the wood used back then was old, slow growth, and hard. Most don't make 'em like this any more. This is like a vintage Corvette! Classic beauty and performance to match. Add your favorite shaft, even a Predator, and you've got something that draws attention AND flat runs racks! You could also give this to any cue maker worth his salt, and they can make a beautiful conversion, instantly raising the value to well over $1,000. This cue is pure potential.

I have a sale pending, as one guy asked me to invoice him, but he has not yet paid. Regardless of that outcome, this cue will not be available for sale after today. Act now if you're a buyer.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been checking this thread since it's been added and I always am sad to see that this cue (and great opportunity) is just not getting a new, loving home.
If only I had the money (or at least I lived in the States... and not in the Middle of Europe :-S) I'd go for it - and would hand it over to a cuemaker to make it my historical - though killer - playing cue...

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Brunswick

Scott,
In 1960 Brunswick Balk Collender became the Brunswick Corporation and they changed all of their labels to reflect that at that time. This one is still a BBC label, which makes it a 50s, although probably late 50s model. Anyway, I really can't believe that it didn't sell. Especially for just $475. This forum has more of an appreciation for their beloved Mr Scruggs and Mr Franklin, than for the ones that came before them. I even posted a Burton Spain model 34 that didn't garner any interest here. Unbelievable...

Anyway, I received that Carom King yesterday, and MAN did I get a great deal there... that is one nice cue! Let me know if you have any more interesting Titlists or Hoppes that you want to sell.

I almost feel ashamed that I broke down a bought an ivory Titlist conversion by none other than . . . TS. You may disdain me now...
:)

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Mr Hoppe said:
Scott,
In 1960 Brunswick Balk Collender became the Brunswick Corporation and they changed all of their labels to reflect that at that time. This one is still a BBC label, which makes it a 50s, although probably late 50s model. Anyway, I really can't believe that it didn't sell. Especially for just $475. This forum has more of an appreciation for their beloved Mr Scruggs and Mr Franklin, than for the ones that came before them. I even posted a Burton Spain model 34 that didn't garner any interest here. Unbelievable...

Anyway, I received that Carom King yesterday, and MAN did I get a great deal there... that is one nice cue! Let me know if you have any more interesting Titlists or Hoppes that you want to sell.

I almost feel ashamed that I broke down a bought an ivory Titlist conversion by none other than . . . TS. You may disdain me now...
:)

I don't disdain anyone. I very rarely visit this forum anymore, just because of all the b.s., but....someone pointed this thread out to me and I really couldn't resist seeing what ridiculous antics Vass was up to. It's a standard formula he uses: 1) Buy a cue as cheaply as he can get it (nothing wrong with that); 2) Come to AZ with: What cue is this? What is it worth? I'm clueless (purely to advertise it) ... 3) On to the 'for sale' section.

The label like yours, with the 'block b', was still being used in the early 1960's, up until they changed to the green/white label around 1964. If you look at Brunswick advertising that can be dated, you will find this. I also know of people who actually bought cues with that label in the early 1960's. If you believe otherwise, it really doesn't matter - no one pays attention to anything but how bright the veneers are and how wide the cue is a few inches above the points. And like I said, I don't even normally visit this forum, so you could say it was from the 1940's and generally not hear anything from me. In any case, peace. Glad you like the CK. Still looking for one with a nice label.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
runscott said:
I don't disdain anyone. I very rarely visit this forum anymore, just because of all the b.s., but....someone pointed this thread out to me and I really couldn't resist seeing what ridiculous antics Vass was up to. It's a standard formula he uses: 1) Buy a cue as cheaply as he can get it (nothing wrong with that); 2) Come to AZ with: What cue is this? What is it worth? I'm clueless (purely to advertise it) ... 3) On to the 'for sale' section.

The label like yours, with the 'block b', was still being used in the early 1960's, up until they changed to the green/white label around 1964. If you look at Brunswick advertising that can be dated, you will find this. I also know of people who actually bought cues with that label in the early 1960's. If you believe otherwise, it really doesn't matter - no one pays attention to anything but how bright the veneers are and how wide the cue is a few inches above the points. And like I said, I don't even normally visit this forum, so you could say it was from the 1940's and generally not hear anything from me. In any case, peace. Glad you like the CK. Still looking for one with a nice label.

Here's a link to my page from the 1961 Brunswick Catalog which shows the old scripted B on the Professional before Brunswick changed the label - which also supports what Scott is saying. Sometimes Brunswick used old photos too, as Scott has pointed out.

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick1961.html

Double click on the cue page and click on the page again to blow it up.

It looks like a quality Hoppe Professional full splice from around the early 1960's time period. The price is fine and I too am a little surprised someone didn't buy it. I am only buying the older versions with the ivory ring.

Scott spent a lot of time researching the labels and can accurately date most of them, a much appreciated ability! I plan on (one day) publishing more catalogs. I have them, it just takes a lot of time to scan them in.

Chris

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Ongoing label confusion

Tate,
This is a great example of the ever-present label dating controversy. Here you have a 1961 catalog showing cues with pre-'61 labels. Most of us know that Brunswick did this frequently, using old product photos in a newer catalog, so the catalogs simply can't be used for confirming such details. However, it is a matter of corporate history that BBC changed it's name in 1960 to the Brunswick Corporation. http://www.brunswick.com/company/history/index.php# Unless they kept using labels with the old name until they ran out, anything bearing a BBC label should be pre-1960. This was my rationale for dating this as a 50s cue.

I have been to Scott's site, and yours as well, in my quest for Titlist history, and I commend you both for contributing to the public knowledge on the topic.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Mr Hoppe said:
Tate,
This is a great example of the ever-present label dating controversy. Here you have a 1961 catalog showing cues with pre-'61 labels. Most of us know that Brunswick did this frequently, using old product photos in a newer catalog, so the catalogs simply can't be used for confirming such details. However, it is a matter of corporate history that BBC changed it's name in 1960 to the Brunswick Corporation. http://www.brunswick.com/company/history/index.php# Unless they kept using labels with the old name until they ran out, anything bearing a BBC label should be pre-1960. This was my rationale for dating this as a 50s cue.

I have been to Scott's site, and yours as well, in my quest for Titlist history, and I commend you both for contributing to the public knowledge on the topic.

Chris and I have discussed this at length, and I think we are in agreement that old labels are shown in new catalogs. This particular label; however, is early 1960's, and it has nothing to do with pictures in the catalog.

I have to admit, guys, I get really worn out with these discussions. I have studied the heck out of this stuff - anyone is welcome to say anything they want about how old their cues are - but it won't make them any older :)

edited to add: BTW - I happen to agree that the scripted 'B' was out of use after the 1950's. Brunswick used old file photos of Hoppe Pros and Titlists for catalogs, showing labels that weren't currently in use. We figured this out early on (very disappointing) and so I based most of my dating on dated magazine ads and the 'Brunswick' fonts used in the catalogs, and sometimes first-hand accounts of cue purchases. If I ever get the time I will re-do this research so that I can document all supporting evidence, but at this point I have other more pressing interests.

Last edited: