Pompelle Bubinga

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pommele Bubinga

I have found some slabs of Pommele Bubinga that are very old. They are what I guess most would call water fall figure. Is there any interest in 18" x 1.5" turning squares at $95 each? My investment will be thousands of dollars and I do not want to buy it unless I can sell a good bit of them pretty quick.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have found some slabs of Pompelle Bubinga that are very old. They are what I guess most would call water fall figure. Is there any interest in 18" x 1.5" turning squares at $95 each? My investment will be thousands of dollars and I do not want to buy it unless I can sell a good bit of them pretty quick.

Are these the slabs the size of tabletops? Please email me photos, I'm interested in buying one uncut

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are these the slabs the size of tabletops? Please email me photos, I'm interested in buying one uncut

Yes. They are around 12 feet long and a three plus feet wide. How many feet in length do you need?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
The problem with bubinga is that they get so big, the figure looks amazing on the giant board, but when cut into a turning square it's just a broad curl look that's nothing special. You might try taking a big piece of scrap cardboard, cut out a 1.5x18" hole, and hold it up on the board so you can block out everything except an area the size of a turning square. Hold it in several places across the board, top to bottom & side to side, making sure the board is loaded with $100 quality pieces. Check both sides. My experience has always been that the strongest figure will be nearest the bark, and get progressively weaker toward the center, especially on the pith side of the board. Not trying to discourage you, just cautioning you to be sure before you pull the trigger.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have cut a few very large pieces of figured Bubinga. They were figured thru and thru and yes, the best was near the bark, I love the white section with black lines but it's only the outside few inches. I am lucky to buy mine for the guy who imports it to this country.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like this wood, but will pass on buying the slab as I would not use it up myself in a lifetime. Maybe I will find some smaller pieces some day. This slab has been on display for many years so I think it is probably fairly dry.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Pommele bubinga, you mean.
I have several sticks of them .
I only bought pieces I could see .
At $95 a stick, I doubt if any would commit to them without seeing them.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pommele bubinga, you mean.
I have several sticks of them .
I only bought pieces I could see .
At $95 a stick, I doubt if any would commit to them without seeing them.

Thanks for the spelling correction. The least expensive slab is two inches thick so there will be 25 percent non cue turning stock. If there was a market for point stock or inlay slabs the squares price could be a good bit less. The squares were selling for about $50 many years ago when these were popular.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The problem with bubinga is that they get so big, the figure looks amazing on the giant board, but when cut into a turning square it's just a broad curl look that's nothing special. You might try taking a big piece of scrap cardboard, cut out a 1.5x18" hole, and hold it up on the board so you can block out everything except an area the size of a turning square. Hold it in several places across the board, top to bottom & side to side, making sure the board is loaded with $100 quality pieces. Check both sides. My experience has always been that the strongest figure will be nearest the bark, and get progressively weaker toward the center, especially on the pith side of the board. Not trying to discourage you, just cautioning you to be sure before you pull the trigger.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to get them to sell 18 inches or 36 inches off the end and they said no. I would risk that much.

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Just as an FYI, there is a lot of Bubinga currently available.
Some of it is highly figured, ie, Beeswing, waterfall, etc.
You don't have to buy the tree to get a few nice pcs.
You might even say that the market is flooded.
As an investment, maybe the future will show your profit.

KJ

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I keep hearing the market is flooded and prices are cheap but I have not found this quality of wood in smaller boards in 6/4. Feel free to pm me links.

JC

Coos Cues
I wonder if and when the current obsession with figure bordering on bling will subside and a good old fashioned nice piece of wood will regain some status.

JC

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I wonder if and when the current obsession with figure bordering on bling will subside and a good old fashioned nice piece of wood will regain some status.

JC

Never. Exquisite grain patterns and exotic woods have been popular as long as people have worked with wood. Look no further than your nearest antique store, or better yet a museum that showcases ancient wooden artifacts. Egyptians were obsessed with ebony. I remember the first time I was taken with artistic woodwork. It was Tecumseh's pipe tomahawk. The handle is fiddleback maple, and I still recall the way I felt when I saw it. I was in grade school, visiting Thomas Worthington's Adena mansion, very near where I grew up. Even at that age I knew there was something special about that piece of wood, and that it was chosen specifically for it's figure. It was stunning.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went into Cross Cut Hardwoods in Portland Oregon and saw a plank of Babinga , 3" x 16 x 12-15 feet . I aske if I could buy 18" of the top of That One . Beautiful , Two guys took it to saw and $43. later I had a nice oc. pf babinga . Starting another cue in a couple weeks with it .

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Wood

Bubinga, yeah it is great on a cue. waterfall bubinga makes me drool’
Be sure to share pics of what you come up with.

Rob.M

Attachments

• 7E3293E6-5A67-4E29-AFF2-444B646FB1CF.jpg
    7E3293E6-5A67-4E29-AFF2-444B646FB1CF.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited: