Brunswick-Balke Collender Cues

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
i recently picked up these cues at a sale and was wondering if it was rare to find them with the decals in such good shape.

i guess my main question is that i am wondering if i should convert them (i am strongly thinking of doing the veneered one) or do these fit the collector market specs.

btw, sticks are warped.

M.C.

full-s.jpg

decal-s.jpg

points-s.jpg

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice cues

if they were straight i would leave them as is, but if they are warped you might as well try to convert them. if you search for starkey in the for sale section you will find a few that i have converted, might give you some ideas as to what can be done.

chuck

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
In my honest opinion, the only one worth doing anything with would be the veneered Ebo.
Even then it would depend on how even the points are and what the dimensions are.
The decals are irrelevant, they're toast.
The other 3 really don't have much value, not in my eyes anyway, particularly if
they're warped. If the Ebo is warped, you may play hell trying to pull a usable handle
from it. Depends on WHERE it's warped. Are there any splits in the Ebony?
What's the dia. of the cue 3-4" above the points?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO - they are worth the most money just the way they are, IF you can get the
attention of a collector of antique cues and/or Brunswick items.

The Ebony 26 1/2 is a treasure - I'm 99 44/100% sure it is too small for an .840 joint
without moving the joint down.

Dale

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

The veneered ebony one would make a nice conversion.

The rest of the cues would be good to put on the wall for decoration. I understand that people like to collect things and create false markets based on "I want for my collection". Just look at the Beanie Baby thing. If you can find someone who has the I wants, then get the best price you can get for them.

They were mass produced and the stickers that a lot of people make a big deal about were also mass produced. They are getting harder and harder to find so people make it their treasure.

If you could sell the others and have the veneered one converted from your profits, that would be a good deal.

Good Luck,

Rick G

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I use a PH BBC converted by Lee Pepper.
One of the best playing cues I have.
I like the veneered cue. Nice find.

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
thank for your replies.

the points are pretty even on all of them.

still not real sure of the fate of them all, with the exception of the veneered one. i think i am going to convert that one.

since some here are not aware of this, i have been building cues for over 20yrs. so when i'm done i'll post pics. but don't hold your breath as i'm kinda slow.:wink:

M.C.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO - they are worth the most money just the way they are, IF you can get the
attention of a collector of antique cues and/or Brunswick items.

The Ebony 26 1/2 is a treasure - I'm 99 44/100% sure it is too small for an .840 joint
without moving the joint down.

Dale

I agree, this is a very good post. they IMO are best left alone. sooner than later most of them will be converted and the survivors straight or not will be more valuable than converted ones.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
i recently picked up these cues at a sale and was wondering if it was rare to find them with the decals in such good shape.

i guess my main question is that i am wondering if i should convert them (i am strongly thinking of doing the veneered one) or do these fit the collector market specs.

btw, sticks are warped.

M.C.

The two cues on the left side of the photo's that show the bottom of the cues straight up and down with rounded section on the top and bottom of the Brunswick decal are the oldest. Those two cues were some time between 1912 or 1913 and that decal was used until around 1921.

The cue with the Liberty decal was made between 1942 and 1945, the decal was modified like in the picture during World War two to show patriotic support for our Nation. I have not ever seen another one of these cues, except in some of my catalogs from that period, I do not know how uncommon cues using this decal are, but I think they are kinda rare, even in that condition.

The Brunswick 26 1/2 cue pictured appears to be made using ebony which makes it worth keeping original in my opinion. The decal on that cue dates it from around 1922 until the early 1930's. I think this is the most expensive cue in the lot, most of these cues using that wood were either converted or were made as trophy cues with a Pearl or Ivory wedge in the bottom. In my opinion this cue is worth around $500 just because of the wood used and it's condition.

The cue with the Liberty decal and the Brunswick 26 1/2 should not be converted in my opinion because they are certainly collectible as they are. The other two are not that uncommon, however, they are in nice condition with good labels so they can go either way, some collector may have interest or they can certainly be converted.

Hope this helps

Last edited: