1.Showman
1.Hercek

you can not go wrong with any of these,,
Little Kenny

Bigd3

BIGGER in Texas
Silver Member
Top five playing cues

Just in random order here ! My top five/six playing cues. Murray Tucker, Randy Mobley, Searing, Jake Hulsey, Barry Szamboti, Kenny Murrell. That a pretty ridiculous line-up.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Based on my limited experience:

Franklin Southwest
DPK
Ed Young
Richard Black
Scott Gracio

Stan9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Klein (v gd feedback and control)
Sugartree (medium stiff and very responsive as well)
Richard Black (regret selling it - the best hitting SS joint cue I have had)
Bob Frey Sneaky
Meucci (something diff about the day agent I had)

Lucas Comtois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In no certain order:

Que Perfect (Ronnie Powell) :thumbup:
Schon (Evan Clark)
Lambros
Mezz (High end)
Eric Brissette (EB)

Lucas

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now 2015 mobleys,boars,searings,tuckers,b danielson!

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
best players I've owned
Mason H
Joey
Scruggs
Bonner Sneaky Pete
Sugartrees

Best I've hit with that I haven't owned
Bluegrass
Tucker (have one coming to me soon)
Kersenbrock (spelling probably is wrong)

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
You said top PLAYING cues

i was hoping this thread would get more support for the cuemakers
that may not be in the category of gus for collectibility
but like webb(mike) and nitti for example that you guys used to like but i dont see alot of support lately??
just a passing fad???
mike and chris dont be offended im just trying to get some responces
i have my own opinion(very positive)

I PLAY with all my cues, Gus the most !Even the Golden Tascarellas... YOU Asked for the TOP 5 PLAYING CUES and I gave you an HONEST ANSWER . My answer has nothing to do with Collectibility it has to do with the question! Perhaps you asked the wrong question to get the answer you were hoping for! Ron

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
Wow

Only about 15 top cuemakers have seen my work.

Ask about the cuemaker, whos been in the hospital for almost 6 months, last name 'kennedy'----

how does his work stack up???

I have been in the carpentry and upholstering and antique restoration business, since i was put to work on a tape-edge machine at the ripe old age of 4 years old. I have been classically trained by a family that has been located in oregon for the last 125 years, in the same location, same building. How many people can claim this!!!

Anyway, only a few know who i am and what i have made, there are a couple of my cues in the smithsonian magazine, along with a select group including a special tutankhmen (sorry for the spelling) special ivory-scrimshawed weston cue!!!

Enough said, i going back to my iv line!!!!

Ps. I am going to get out of here, finally on oct. 17th.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Talk about tooting your own horn! 4 Years old running a tape edge machine? What meds are ya taking Mikey?I have been in the carpentry and upholstering and antique restoration business, since i was put to work on a tape-edge machine at the ripe old age of 4 years old. I have been classically trained by a family that has been located in oregon for the last 125 years, in the same location, same building. How many people can claim this!!!
What does this have to do with building a cue? Just what is in that IV line of yours? Ron

Elmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, guys I too am impressed with Dan Dishaw's work. Quite nice. Lots of pros playing with his stuff. Hatch and Hopkins come to mind. I also like Jensen. I think Mike Johnson is really under rated. What about Andy Gilbert? Another great maker Keith Josey. I also hear a lot about John Madden Cues. Ive never hit with one but I only hear great things.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I PLAY with all my cues, Gus the most !Even the Golden Tascarellas... YOU Asked for the TOP 5 PLAYING CUES and I gave you an HONEST ANSWER . My answer has nothing to do with Collectibility it has to do with the question! Perhaps you asked the wrong question to get the answer you were hoping for! Ron

ron i didnt ask the wrong question
and you gave your honest opinion
it seems many of the top collectible cues are also great playing cues not just good looking from the responces
so many threads toot the horn of the cuemaker of the cue just bought
and say it plays great
then alot of people agree
i was/am curious how many of the non top of the list marquee names for collectibility would get support
since im looking to buy a cue and the price point to buy a gus or similar "famous" maker cue is out of my range
these just as great playing or almost made by cuemakers whose price point is more affordable to me is the info im interested in
that being said i didnt and dont want to skew the replies
if the top name cuemakers make the best playing cues keep listing them
they are the top for a reason:)

Jager Monster

Got Szamboti?
Silver Member
WoW, 4 pages and no one mentioned Cory Barnhart!!! His work is not only TOP NOTCH, his cues play outstanding. I have owned several of Cory's cues and the remarkable thing is they all played the same reguardless of the woods used. That type of consistancy is incredible. He is an ELITE cuemaker imho.

Mike

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WoW, 4 pages and no one mentioned Cory Barnhart!!! His work is not only TOP NOTCH, his cues play outstanding. I have owned several of Cory's cues and the remarkable thing is they all played the same reguardless of the woods used. That type of consistancy is incredible. He is an ELITE cuemaker imho.

Mike

I've never played with one but I'd like to... I've only heard good things about his cues. Mike Cochran (RIP) spoke very highly of Cory's cuemaking skill.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my top cues

i played 20 years with a joss west, that would be my top choice,[ i still have its retired] next would be any titlist conversion done right or the titlist one piece cue, next would be the cue pictured, and old american classic all straight grain maple full splices into straight grain maple, wood pin, very simple cue, my player at this time, it plays as good as any cue i have ever had in my hands.

Attachments

• P9280044.jpg
    P9280044.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,240
  • P9280046.JPG
    P9280046.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,226
  • P9280049.JPG
    P9280049.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,162
  • P9280039.jpg
    P9280039.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,193

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best players for me are:

1. Jeff Olney
2. Pete Ohman
3. Bob Owen
4. Jerry Rauenzahn
5. Jack Madden

These guys can build you whatever configuration of cue you want to perfection. IMO you can pay a lot more but you won't get any better.

As a side note some of the other cues I own or have owned are: Gus Szamboti, Gina, Richard Black, Tim Scruggs, Bob Frey, Paul Mottey, Burton Spain, Carmelli, Mike Johnson (Jensen), Troy Downey, Paul Huebler, Tom Coker, Kenny Murrell, Bryan Mordt (BCM), Dan Dishaw, Jim Pierce, Steve Klapp, Alan Green, Bill Webb, Schon and Southwest. All very nice players but, not in my top five.

Good cues I haven't tried = A Bunch. This has been a fun thread, Thanks for starting it.

Last edited: