Best One Pocket Tip

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to spin the cue ball a lot, i.e masse.

I currently use a Kamui Black Super Soft on my One Pocket cue.
I use a Pressed Elkmaster that Efren gave me for 9 ball cue.
My Gulyassy Orange Crusher break cue has a Samasara tip.

Soft, Medium and Hard, what does that mean?
Does a Soft tip put more spin?
Do you get more draw with a Medium tip?
Is Hard just for Break cues?

People are using Durometer numbers on their tips for hardness.
Does a tip hardness number of 79 mean that a Kamui, Moori or Oinker tip will put the same amount of spin or play the same?

What is your recommendation for One Pocket and 9/10 Ball.

Just got my box of 50 Elkmasters $21.50 and 50 Triangle for $31.50.
Picone presses should be here Monday.

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would tell you to put the tip on that lets you control the cue ball the best. I like the tiger onyx for my personal preference.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think softer tips necessarily relate to more spin. A good stroke will help with more spin, and I know many very good players who would never dream of using super soft tips, of any brand. Actually, most of the guys I know prefer medium to harder tips. I personally get pretty descent amounts of spin with my Onyx tip and they are on the medium to medium hard scale. I never played a Kamui I liked, but they are by far my best seller.

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you feel comfortable with a piece of cork as a tip and you are able to do what you want with the cue ball, then that's all that matters. Be it a $2 or a $30 tip, it's all about personal preference...PERIOD!

poolhallringer

Registered
Tip Hardness?

Give me a break-its all personal preference. I remember watching Efren beat the Ghost using Robin Bell's Frog Jump cue lol.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Does a tip hardness number of 79 mean that a Kamui, Moori or Oinker tip will put the same amount of spin or play the same?

I mostly just play 1pocket nowadays and really like the black Kamui SS or the old original medium Mooris, if you can get them.

Lou Figueroa

just kick'n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tip

I listened to a really good harmonica player on YouTube, with a child"s plastic harmonica, play "lights out" music. lol I hope this helps.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just Trying to get Feedback on Tips

Yes, I know that feel is important.

It's just that there are so many different makers of tips, Which one do you CHOOSE?
You can't buy every tip?
Each maker also has soft medium and hard.

I need a new tip on one of my cues, Just trying to figure out which tip to buy?
I want to try a new tip?

Thanks Lou and others for your input. :)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Absolutely not..... durometer readings only are useful when measuring the exact same material... type of leather, tanning process, tip processing all change the tips slightly which makes them all play and feel a little different....

A similar durometer reading between 2 layered pigskin tips can in general give you an idea as to if you might like it but the proof is really getting it on your cue and playing with it.....

The elk masters you purchased are mineral tanned cow and the triangles are chrome tanned cow.... both are going to be softer in feel than a vegetable tanned cow or water buffalo... They are also going to be lower in elasticity than pigskin...

Elasticity does seem to relate to spin.. Higher elasticity seems to create a higher spin/speed... One reason for this is that elasticity relates to energy transfer.. Higher elasticity = higher energy transfer... More energy can be translated to more spin when striking off center.....

Pressing an elk master will definitely make a harder elk master... Which might up the COR/elasticity slightly but it will always feel like a soft medium/soft tip because of the mineral treated leather...

As far as recommendations if you like soft then press the crap out of the elk masters and you will get a tip that will last longer and not be as prone to mushrooming... If you like medium medium/hard then press your triangles and you will get the same benefits... Just don't expect a press to turn your elks and triangles into mooris and kamuis... It takes way more than pressure.......

Chris Renfro

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I won't say a soft tip can put more spin on a cue ball than a hard tip. But IMHO it will put more spin to speed ratio on the ball with the same stoke unless you are at high speed. In other words IMHO you can put more spin with less forward momentum on the ball in the slower stroke range with a soft tip than you can with a hard tip, remember given the same stroke.

I rationalixe that I can always give it more stroke when I want but it's more difficult to hit those softer shots with spin, so I prefer a soft tip. Especially if I was playing one pocket. JMHO.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I was confused by your request. I thought you meant a helpful hint regarding One Pocket.
To satisfy both counts let me say: Play what the table has to offer (one of Grady's favorites), and do it with an UltraSkin on the end of your cue stick. :smile:

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was confused by your request. I thought you meant a helpful hint regarding One Pocket.
To satisfy both counts let me say: Play what the table has to offer (one of Grady's favorites), and do it with an UltraSkin on the end of your cue stick. :smile:

We're in the same "boat" because I thought the thread was about helpful hints in reference to one-pocket.
Well, anyhow, the only time I use a different tip is to break. I'd prefer the orginal Moori hard but since I don't have any more and can't find them I'm using some kind of Moori medium. I use the same cue, shaft, and tip for everything. It seems to work. OK, I'm using it so win a few and lose even more...lol

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Renfro, English, Tramp, bflgvs, hoseboss thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

I have 8 old one piece Brunswick Balke Collender house cues.
I will order Morri, Ultraskin, Oinker, Tad and ......
I can then try them out.
Thanks, Barney

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
tips

I get alot of control with soft tips, sometimes to much spin.
At times I wish there was no tip at all.
MMike

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mostly just play 1pocket nowadays and really like the black Kamui SS or the old original medium Mooris, if you can get them.

Lou Figueroa

This. Kamui ss is the best tip i've ever used, and many top players play with a soft tip. Daltons the one who got me to try it.