Andrew Ponzi

LApoolbum

Can anyone here provide any anecdotes or biographical information about Andrew Ponzi beyond what is in the BCA Hall of Fame? Looking at the information on Charles Ursitti's site shows that he was quite a competitor in the 1930s and 1940s. It's a shame he died so young.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you can find a copy:

Title: The fabulous Mr. Ponzi: autobiography of Andrew Ponzi, three times world champion pocket billiard player

Authors: Andrew Ponzi, Sam Edwards Levy
Publisher: Alpina, 1948

UPDATED:

April 12 1950 Chicago Tribune
1950 Apr 12 Ponzi Dies.JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
"...asked what he remembers as his most difficult tournament shot, [Mosconi] replied, " Against Andrew Ponzi in the 1948 World Billiards Tournament at Navy Pier in Chicago, I needed one ball and Ponzi needed three to win a crucial game and move into the next round.

Ponzi left me a blocked shot situation and I could not risk another scratch. My two previous shots had been scratches and a third in succession means a 15 point penalty. My only alternative was to attempt to score so I planned out a five-cushion shot - and made it to win the match, and ultimately the world title
."

source

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
" In 1937 Greenleaf, Ponzi and Caras were part of a historic four-way tie for top honors and after a second round robin elimination only the three ex-champions were left to shoot-out for the title, a celestial triumphvirate from which Greenleaf would emerge the winner. "

source

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something's not right

"...asked what he remembers as his most difficult tournament shot, [Mosconi] replied, " Against Andrew Ponzi in the 1948 World Billiards Tournament at Navy Pier in Chicago, I needed one ball and Ponzi needed three to win a crucial game and move into the next round.

Ponzi left me a blocked shot situation and I could not risk another scratch. My two previous shots had been scratches and a third in succession means a 15 point penalty. My only alternative was to attempt to score so I planned out a five-cushion shot - and made it to win the match, and ultimately the world title
."

source

How could Willie need only one if his last 2 shots were scratches?

EW

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
How could Willie need only one if his last 2 shots were scratches?

EW

You're right, it seems that someone fudged some facts...

From Charles Ursitti's records:

View attachment 159768

From a story published in Popular Mechanics Feb 1966

View attachment 159767

Do we suppose that Mr. Ursitti's records are incorrect, or did the writer of the PM article choose to make something up, or did Mosconi himself do a little "glory days" creative story telling?

When comparing the story and the scores, it would appear that Mosconi was talking about the first round of the first match...

Last edited:

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the movie

Do we suppose that Mr. Ursitti's records are incorrect, or did the writer of the PM article choose to make something up, or did Mosconi himself do a little "glory days" creative story telling?

The movie recreation---
http://pool.bz/pool-tv-films/990-ol...h-willie-mosconi-vs-andrew-ponzi-its-boy.html

repeats the same story of the final shot (without the previous scratches).
I have always felt that the whole thing was fiction.
I can't imagine Mosconi---or any other champion player---going for such a shot.

EW

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew ponzi

The movie recreation---
http://pool.bz/pool-tv-films/990-ol...h-willie-mosconi-vs-andrew-ponzi-its-boy.html

My opinion would be that Mr. ursittis information is as correct as he could make it , the error was most likely in the information he copied from

EW

Mosconi was not on 2 scratches in that match, he needed 3 when he started and had made 2 with 2 balls left on the table. I believe he shot the 5 railer because he could win with the shot and if he missed it was unlikely Ponzi could run out , so he would get another chance .

carteradams

Registered
The Fabulous Mr. Ponzi book

Does anyone know of a copy, that is available, for sale or trade. Or, even a facsimile copy for sale?

~Carter Adams

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The movie recreation---

EW
It happened ,it was well documented in the media he had a fairly easy out to begin with.
Hit the first ball poorly and the cueball got frozen on the bottom rail rail and frozen to one of the last 3balls on the table He shot the curveball into the rail and kicked that ball into the upper left corner pocket( a shot Mingaud invented ) about 1825.
The cue ball got on the left side rail rail and the 2 remaining balls were both near that rail the one closest to him was frozen the other was 2 diamonds from the corner corner and off the rail about an eighth inch mosconi kicked it in the corner 5rails not an easy shot but not as hard as it sounds. I have made it many times while recreating the story
I have a nice copy The Fabulous Mister Ponzi I would sell I want 1000 for it if anyone is interested

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in the Ponzi book - please email me at poolplayer@gmail.com
This is kind of an old thread, but.... Ponzi's daughter had the book reprinted and is selling them on Ebay. They have been up for a while, and she has three left.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This is kind of an old thread, but.... Ponzi's daughter had the book reprinted and is selling them on Ebay. They have been up for a while, and she has three left.

It's a great book. Too bad more of the old greats didn't record their memories.