Am I Just Chasing A Dream?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
As a lot of you know (and are tired of hearing), I'm 68 yo. I started playing again on a bar box about a year ago after 5 years off for health reasons. I was a "B+" on a bar table for years. Some pros and shortstops said I was an "A", but while I've had a lot of "A" nights over the years for the money I still played like a "B+" most of the time. I believe they just didn't want to give me enough weight to be a close to fair game.

My question is this. I don't get around much anymore; so really don't know the answer. A few friends and decent themselves have said, "Johnny, you're never going to be an "A" player at your age anymore. Look around and see how many 70 olds are "A" players. Your chasing something that's not likely to happen. Are there many 70 year olds that play "A" around the country? Thank You. Johnnyt

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the real question here should be are you having fun chasing after the dream of being an A player? most of us on here are not and never will be A players (i'm not sure if i'll ever be a D player), but as long as the game is still fun then there is nothing wrong with following the dream of being as good a player as you can be. i'm never going to be a pro and wouldnt want to be, but i do want to improve. if it ever feels like a job, then i know i am done. if youre having fun and still love the game, then chase away.

brian

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
i think the real question here should be are you having fun chasing after the dream of being an A player? most of us on here are not and never will be A players (i'm not sure if i'll ever be a D player), but as long as the game is still fun then there is nothing wrong with following the dream of being as good a player as you can be. i'm never going to be a pro and wouldnt want to be, but i do want to improve. if it ever feels like a job, then i know i am done. if youre having fun and still love the game, then chase away.

brian

Great answer. Improvement in pool isn't a task to be completed, it's a journey to be enjoyed!
Reps

Steve

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
You could always be the first 70 year old A player. I say chase the dream. Give some of us younger, I am 48, players hope for our future!

Larry

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a lot of you know (and are tired of hearing), I'm 68 yo. I started playing again on a bar box about a year ago after 5 years off for health reasons. I was a "B+" on a bar table for years. Some pros and shortstops said I was an "A", but while I've had a lot of "A" nights over the years for the money I still played like a "B+" most of the time. I believe they just didn't want to give me enough weight to be a close to fair game.

My question is this. I don't get around much anymore; so really don't know the answer. A few friends and decent themselves have said, "Johnny, you're never going to be an "A" player at your age anymore. Look around and see how many 70 olds are "A" players. Your chasing something that's not likely to happen. Are there many 70 year olds that play "A" around the country? Thank You. Johnnyt

70 isn't nearly as old now as when we were kids, right!

almer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
70 isn't nearly as old now as when we were kids, right!
There are 3 70 yrs plus guys in my town,they play real tough on a bar box,they play in BCA super seniors and some years dont even get in the money,i watched some of there matches this year,it was great pool,lots of runouts,i think other than stamina lots of these guys could go a ways in the open division

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patch Eye from Philly is in his 70's and still playing A speed one pocket. Although he was a top pro in his younger days. I've personally seen him play and played against him. I've been more in awe watching him play one hole than the younger pro level locals who make every shot on the table. If there was ever a player that played like a ghost in one hole its him.

And from what I read of San Jose Dick at onepocket.org he was still an A player at 70 (never personally saw him play). He was also a top pro when younger.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Goals are important, but enjoying yourself is the number one goal. Having fun will keep you young, no matter how many balls you can run. Playing your best feels good, and you may just get there, but don't let it ruin your fun along the way.

I had the pleasure of spending some time with jay helfert a few months back and it was like hanging out with someone my own age. Now that is a man who enjoys life. And I think pool is his fountain of youth.

I think a lot of people forget just how fun this game is. The better you get, it seems, the less people actually ENJOY playing. But from your posts, I can tell you still enjoy it. Keep hittin em!

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Mr Johnnyt some things are worth chaseing at any age wether your a,b,c player.Me myself i will playing pool and fishing till the good lord takes me away.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
If you keep really trying to get better, you will. By the time you die, you will be as good as you can get if you have kept at it. It's all on a continuum, not like suddenly you're an A player and get a certificate. Continuous improvement. When you're consistently playing in a higher category most of the time, look to the next level...A+? A++? There may be some physical limitations, but I don't think we stop learning until we die or lose our minds. As an aside, I really enjoy your posts Johnny. Thanks.
:p

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt...Yes, there are 70 year old A players out there. Don Harp is one. He consistently finishes high in national tournaments...and not just the super senior divisions either!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
.Me myself i will playing pool and fishing till the good lord takes me away.

I expect to continue long after that. I can't imagine Heaven doesn't have some beautiful fishing holes, and some pretty awsome pool rooms!

Steve

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kenny Dodd is 72 and he still is an "A" player. This old SOB is still beating alot of players. You may have to practice more than you did when you were younger but you can still get there.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Don't listen to your friends. A lot of people underachieve because those around them speak negatively and convince them that something isn't possible, even when it is.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Johnnyt,

I think you already knew the answer before you posted, but looking for confirmation. Do what makes you happy, and I'll look forward to your posts.