Louie Roberts "St Louie Louie"

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Anyone have any good stories about Louie Robersts? Grady matched up with him a few times. Buddy said was one of the hardest players he ever matched up with for the cash. Also what year did he die, and what was he doing at the time of his death?

Mack

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
Buddy said was one of the hardest players he ever matched up with for the cash.

Mack

Buddy did not agree with me when I told Buddy that he lost lots of buisiness by giving 7 to louie and beat him.After that how many will dare to play Buddy?

Oldhasbeen will have more stories to talk about Louie than anybody.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Louie

Too many stories, wouldn't know where to begin.
He was one of a kind, with more charisma in his little finger than any other poolplayer had in their whole body.

Handsome, intelligent and a great player. One big problem....alcohol! He couldn't resist it and couldn't handle it.

No one before or since could cut balls in like Louie. He could slice a ball that was one-eighth of an inch off the side rail all the way down into the corner, and the ball would stay one-eighth of an inch off the rail all the way to the pocket. It maintained a perfectly straight line and never touched the side rail. He could do this along the end rails from the far end of the table just as well. And he fired them in at warp speed.

One story. Louie was playing Keith in Memphis around 1983 or 84. Ten ahead for like two grand. Keith is jabbering away as usual and Louie makes a deal with him that if anyone talks it is a foul. Keith agrees and they play in silence for hours until Louie finally gets there. Louie picks up the money and turns to Keith as he leaves "Nice talking to you kid".

Sadly he commited suicide at age 40 in a motel in Phoenix. He would get severely depressed when drunk and alone.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Louie

Too many stories, wouldn't know where to begin.
He was one of a kind, with more charisma in his little finger than any other poolplayer had in their whole body.

Handsome, intelligent and a great player. One big problem....alcohol! He couldn't resist it and couldn't handle it.

No one before or since could cut balls in like Louie. He could slice a ball that was one-eighth of an inch off the side rail all the way down into the corner, and the ball would stay one-eighth of an inch off the rail all the way to the pocket. It maintained a perfectly straight line and never touched the side rail. He could do this along the end rails from the far end of the table just as well. And he fired them in at warp speed.

One story. Louie was playing Keith in Memphis around 1983 or 84. Ten ahead for like two grand. Keith is jabbering away as usual and Louie makes a deal with him that if anyone talks it is a foul. Keith agrees and they play in silence for hours until Louie finally gets there. Louie picks up the money and turns to Keith as he leaves "Nice talking to you kid".

Sadly he commited suicide at age 40 in a motel in Phoenix. He would get severely depressed when drunk and alone.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I never formally met him,and only saw him play twice,but those 2 times I NEVER saw him miss a ball. The first time was also the first or second time I ever went to High Pockets in Memphis. He took a table,close to where I was sitting,and ran full racks of 9-ball for over an hour,and never came close to hooking himself or missing. He would periodically bank the whole rack out. This went on for almost 90 minutes,and I asked someone who he was shortly before we left. He said that's easy look at the wall,and there was a large black and white poster sized pic of Louie posing with a Meucci,and generally looking like a young Elvis. The second time we had just walked into The Rack,also in Memphis. All I saw was the 8-ball rolling to a stop close to the side pocket along the rail,and the cue ball stopping close to the diagonally opposite corner pocket. Louie stepped up and made this shot.

START(
%HW3E2%Pn4V3%U]3O3%VO2C5%WW9E4%Xn5V4%YC9D0%ZW0E2%[C8R0%\M6[3
%]N8C9%^C2Q1%eC5`3%_N4[0%`[8N1%aW7E1
)END

> The cue ball jumped about a foot in the air,and took the path I diagrammed here after it came back down. He turned around and looked at a local player and said "ya know Herb,I could have slow rolled that ball but I didn't want it to roll off!" In a magazine article that came out when Louie's death had been announced,it was said that he was in St. Louis or Memphis maybe a year or so before he died,and was sent a telegram or phone call telling him to come to Arizona,and that a new backer would be taking care of him,he needed no money,just show up. It was said he never found the guy. Tommy D.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Thanks for the posts folks. These threads with pool stories about the great players from the past are some of my favorite threads on AZB.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
Buddy did not agree with me when I told Buddy that he lost lots of buisiness by giving 7 to louie and beat him.After that how many will dare to play Buddy?

Oldhasbeen will have more stories to talk about Louie than anybody.
I was at Guys & Dolls in Shreveport when Buddy gave Louie the 7 and it was themost amazing thing I had ever seen. The pair remind me now of the way Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday were portrayed in the movie. Buddy was so quiet and methodical and Louie was just absolutely outrageously fun and entertaining.
In Louie's defense, Buddy won, but, at that time, Buddy was in a zone that I believe few have ever entered. He simply played perfectly and everything else just went his way. Buddy at that period was the greatest 9-ball player on the planet, but I still don't believe anyone played the 7 better than Louie.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The story of Louie

I had a friend that said that he non discrimimtory about drugs.

He used them all.

It kills me that someone that is that talented throws it away. He had beat everyone.

Terrible. I just dont understand it.

Ken

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
breakup said:

Those threads pretty well cover the subject. I never played much pool until I retired and I didn't know Louie, but I ran into a guy yesterday who used to own a pool hall in the St Louis area and asked him about Louie. He had a few stories to tell, but he said two things especially that I found interesting.

a) He didn't think Louie killed himself.

b) He said even when half loaded Louie played tough, when sober he was the best shotmaker he had ever personally seen.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Louie's Poster

stolz2 said:
Anyone have any good stories about Louie Robersts? Grady matched up with him a few times. Buddy said was one of the hardest players he ever matched up with for the cash. Also what year did he die, and what was he doing at the time of his death?

Mack

Mack - Here is the Poster - Price is very negotible - Tom Ferry, (OHB)

Attachments

• Poster.jpg
    Poster.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,495