Tournament Listing Tips......

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
YOLO said:
I just don't get it! Put your location in the thread title people!!!! Really, what's so hard about that?

Maybe new threads need to go into a Que to be approved? I know it's more work for the moderators but it's a real drag sifting through the threads...

Yes sir.......seems logical.

I think the main thing people have trouble grasping is that people from all over the world are reading here.

If the title has no city & state and no date, I'm moving on to the next announcement.

Ray

kath13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Truck,

I'm trying to announce an upcoming tournament, but I can't attach the PDF file, it's bigger than the 100K limit. Is there some other way that I can get the flyer on the thread? I can't seem to just copy and paste the flyer. Help would be appreciated by anyone if they see it. Thanks,

Kath13

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
kath13 said:
Big Truck,

I'm trying to announce an upcoming tournament, but I can't attach the PDF file, it's bigger than the 100K limit. Is there some other way that I can get the flyer on the thread? I can't seem to just copy and paste the flyer. Help would be appreciated by anyone if they see it. Thanks,

Kath13

Kath13,

Good Question!

2 choices.

1. re-size your PDF using photoshop or a like product.

2. convert the pdf file to a jpeg and then size it to fit.

If it will help you, e-mail it to me and I will re-size it for you.

Thanks,

Ray

Last edited:

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Nice thread Ray :grin:

Suggest fliers & threads indicate whether or not it will be live streamed and, if so, provide a site!

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Template to announce a tournament

Just use as a template.

Add the info that is necessary- Delete what isn't.

Template to announce a tournament
Not just for AZ tournament announcements but for all your flier needs.

*Title of Event (name of pool hall)
Sharkey’s (weekly, monthly, semi-annual, annual) tournament
(Also it might be an annual Memorial [insert persons name] event)

*Address and telephone number of event site. Hotel info and telephone number

Food offerings (finger food or full kitchen) Beer and Wine or Liquor?

Personal contact(s) (name and telephone number) Expect Calls, have info (flyer) available.
*Dates Start date End date June 1st and 2nd or Saturday June 1st Mention a ONE Day event.

Player Auction (if there is one, when?)

Players Meeting time

Practice start time for each day of tournament.

Is Streaming available?

Added Money (only if there is added money)
Guaranteed, or based on the number of entries

Limited field size (optional) (maximum number of players, usually 32, 48, 96, 128, 192, 256)

Now would be a good time to make sure you have the BLANK brackets that would work with the different size fields.

*Game (8, 9, 10, 14.1, One Pocket, other)

*Format; single or double elimination, if double, state race on winner and one-loss brackets 9 Ball Double Elimination. Round robin, Qualifier.

*Rules being used; (you should have a copy available) Texas Express, BCA League, World Standard Rule, APA, VNEA, TAP, Pro (men or women’s)

TD ruling is FINAL.

Alternate Break? Lag? Rack your own?

*Entry Fee;
‘Early signup’ fees and ‘day of event’ fees. Usually the ‘early fees’ are cheaper than the ‘day of the event’ fee.

*Start and Stop time for signups (unless you want to sell byes to the late comers) Just make sure everyone knows it is OK not to be on time. You can always signup late.

Green Fees: (Optional) usually noted as part of the entry fee (Green Fee of $xx included in Entry Fee) Entry fee $55 (Green Fees of $10 included)

Payout percentage; (optional but very nice to have included) Normally 25% of the field, but can be done with higher percentages.
For example, if you have a 32 player field the top 8 players will win money. Seventh place is a tie. Two players will get at the very least their entry fee back and usually double their entry fee on a well run tournament.
Example (you might want to show the players what they can win upfront if there is a full field)
Payouts for a 32 player event with a $25 entry fee and $200 added is a total of $1000.
1st place $300, 2nd place $220, 3rd place $140, 4th place, $100
5th tie $70 each, 7th tie $50 each

Separate table(s) for matching up “Challenge table”?

Mini-tournaments?

Spectator Fee if any

(*) Required needed information for the average pool player

frankwhite

www.superiorbilliardtech.
Silver Member
Yes sir.......seems logical.

I think the main thing people have trouble grasping is that people from all over the world are reading here.

If the title has no city & state and no date, I'm moving on to the next announcement.

Ray

Hello Bigtruck, heard your commontary at Comet my home room. Just wanted to say you did a great job, and hope your stay in Jersey wuz a good one.
Frankie

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Bigtruck, heard your commontary at Comet my home room. Just wanted to say you did a great job, and hope your stay in Jersey wuz a good one.
Frankie

Thanks Frank!

I had a good visit with my family and had a great time over at Comet!.

Ray

WileyCoyote

Registered
? about home page tournament calender post

Are there any restrictions to posting monthly tournaments, handiecap or non handiecap on the main page calender?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Are there any restrictions to posting monthly tournaments, handiecap or non handiecap on the main page calender?

If you are referring to the calendar tab under the AZBilliards banner at the top of the page, I believe that is used mainly by the admin to post birthdays and stuff like that. The first time I ever looked at that was just now, because of your post. But yes, you could use it I suppose.

For more exposure you are best off to start a thread in the tournament announcements forum and bump it during the few days leading up to the tournament. And no, it is not a problem to post an announcement of say, a monthly tournament, and then start a new thread each month reminding people of the upcoming event. You can also use these threads to post results and thank-you's after the event.

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are referring to the calendar tab under the AZBilliards banner at the top of the page, I believe that is used mainly by the admin to post birthdays and stuff like that. The first time I ever looked at that was just now, because of your post. But yes, you could use it I suppose.

For more exposure you are best off to start a thread in the tournament announcements forum and bump it during the few days leading up to the tournament. And no, it is not a problem to post an announcement of say, a monthly tournament, and then start a new thread each month reminding people of the upcoming event. You can also use these threads to post results and thank-you's after the event.

Actually multiple thread about the same event are not recommended. Real estate in the tournament section should be respected and used wisely. All of us appreciate it and you will too!

Thanks,

Ray Hansen
Cue & A Promotions

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Actually multiple thread about the same event are not recommended. Real estate in the tournament section should be respected and used wisely. All of us appreciate it and you will too!

Thanks,

Ray Hansen
Cue & A Promotions

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to multiple threads for the exact same event. But I've seen others start new threads each month for a tournament that is held every month. I don't run events so I've not posted any tournament announcements. I was just going by what I've seen.

I stand corrected then Ray. I see others do that so I thought it was OK. You certainly would know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Be nice also if they would start their thread this way: state first then town then the rest of the story

Wyoming/Cheyenne/1-1-1 and go from there.....

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Be nice also if they would start their thread this way: state first then town then the rest of the story

That's a good beginning. I could live with that.

I just wish the promoters would be more up front about FEES, hold back money, how many coin for the table if any, payout percentages and how deep, etc. I designes a PDF FORM that anyone could fill in easily but I think it had too much information on it. ;)

JoeyA

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with this one... Was going to make the suggestion myself. I was thinking more along the lines of using the actual state abbreviation and then city followed by the pool hall such as:

CA, Bellflower, Hardtimes > Mezz 10 Ball Open, May 7-9

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with this one... Was going to make the suggestion myself. I was thinking more along the lines of using the actual state abbreviation and then city followed by the pool hall such as:

CA, Bellflower, Hardtimes > Mezz 10 Ball Open, May 7-9

I like this. I'm not sure the poolroom is needed, but I still try to work it in.

Thanks,

Ray

Break-n-Run

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title

Good ideas. I'll use some of these in my upcoming announcements. I'm a novice...gotta learn from the veterans!

Swauve

Also if the grand prize depends on the number of participants, you can bump your thread everytime someone new enters and the attendance/prize amount is raised.

j.one

Let a (pool) playa PLAY!
I didn't read all the posts here, so forgive me if this is redundant:

Is it not possible to split these posts up into regions or states, or regions within larger states?
Seems that would be easier for people to get their info without scrolling through everything.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't read all the posts here, so forgive me if this is redundant:

Is it not possible to split these posts up into regions or states, or regions within larger states?
Seems that would be easier for people to get their info without scrolling through everything.

It is possible. To date AZ has not seen a need for it.

If people would put the town & state in title it would be 100% better.

Ray