Brunswick Gold Crown II Vs. Diamond

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.

For a pool hall Gold Crown, for home use any one will do.

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.

The mechanic just can't play worth a shite on the DIAMOND. Of course, they must suck then..

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old School

There is a table mechanic (well known ) in our area that is very old school and promotes nothing but Gold crown I 's.When he works on a Diamond he trys to make them play like an old Brunswick.Someone at Valley Forge told me to get someone to redo my table that is familiar with Diamonds.My table now plays great and he pointed out the faults of the old school mecahnic.The guy grew up with Gold crown I 's and is closed minded on the subject.I think there are a lot of old timers like that out there.Before I bought my Diamond I must have asked at least 25 to 40 players at the US Open what table they liked the best and the vast majority picked Diamonds and this was when the Open still used Gold Crown IV's.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they suck wonder why most pro events and large tournaments are all done on diamonds ?

I don't think they suck, but that is more about money than anything else. Fusion tables have. Even used in the past few years and I doubt anyone would argue that they are the best.

Whatever table is being used in tournaments seems to gain notoriety at the time. When Olhausen was doing all the tournaments, you commonly saw people talking about how great they were. Brunswick has definitely seen better sales they started doing more tournaments again, and now diamond is taking the strength of their product and combining it with the validity that comes with being part of pro events. In the end though, it means nothing to be the table at an event except that that company was willing to pay for the sponsorship.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The fact he said that Olhausen was the only table to buy tells you how much value his opinion has and perhaps also tells you something about him as a mechanic.

If they suck wonder why most pro events and large tournaments are all done on diamonds ?

It's simple really. Diamond likely offers the best package to promoters for providing tables. Naturally this doesn't mean or even suggest that Diamonds are not great tables because we all know they are. But as far as use at tournaments goes, typically I'd think whoever gives the promoter the best deal will get the gig. If Brunswick, with its checkbook, decided to seriously promote its tables this way, you might not see Diamonds at very many tournaments outside of the DCC and CSI events.

Last edited:

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not ask the "RealKingCobra" which is the best? He's one of the best Mechanics around and has probably worked on almost every brand & model of Pool Table there is!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
he probably wasnt a very rounded pool player but just a mechanic. so he may have been recommending from his experience at setting tables up rather than how they play.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rkc

Um yeah, except RKC owned and ran a pool hall for a number of years in the NW and knows how to handle himself on and below a table ;)
My guess is that Glen would say Diamonds are the best (for a new table the price can't be beat)--he does help with their design after all; then GC's, but that with a little fine tuning a GC can easily be brought up to speed.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own an Olhausen

I own a 8 foot Olhausen. It is a solid table. I would agree with most on here, it is hard to pocket balls on. it is easier for me to pocket balls with speed and spin on the 7 foot Diamond Pro Cut pockets than on my Olhausen. The pockets look bigger but play smaller. I rattle shots all the time. It is frustrating.

Diamonds weren't the big thing when I bought it, in fact, Olhausen was the table at most tournaments then. I would much rather have the Diamond, because that is what I play on at the pool hall for 7 footers.

The pool hall has Gabriel 9 footers, which are also very good tables.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Your mechanic has no clue as to what he's talking about in any way shape or form;)

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
GC vs Diamond?? For me I would have to go with the GC. i love that classic look. Ive played on the pro ams pleanty of times, and there is no denying that its a good table. But id still go for the GC. If you really wanted the best of both worlds, you could just "diamondize" your pockets.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go to Fast Eddies in College Station and play on those Olhausens. What a waste of money. The comercial ones in the back are better but CG1,2,3,4 or Diamond are way better.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd say.... first question is "what table do you like"?
.....second question is "what do you want the table for"?

Some people like a table for just practicing and want it super tough, and super tight and though I haven't played on the new diamonds... olhausen
with the deep shelf is TOUGH... good for some games, and if you're on a pretty good level, but may be way too tough if you're low B or below and/or want to play with people who don't play a lot. Pretty frustrating for many players. I do love the (I think) 'accufast' rails and how accurately they play!!

As for the Diamonds.... see if you can watch some matches on the new Diamonds on ustream and see how the pros play them. They are plenty tough, and plenty tight.... but personally I would go with a newer one with
the new rails to avoid having to redo the rails... JMHO.... also most of the above may be the case for a Diamond as well. Absolutely SOLID tables!!

The old GC's if they haven't been tightened are fairly loose, and are good for a variety of player levels to go at it.... they are just the old standard..and classic in looks.

Lots of things to consider for you.... plenty of equipment out there ....
and many happy hours when you giterdone... :smile: You may also want to go to the 'ask a mechanic' or just ask Glen.. he has TONS of knowledge!! Good luck.

td

Last edited:

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
GC vs Diamond?? For me I would have to go with the GC. i love that classic look. Ive played on the pro ams pleanty of times, and there is no denying that its a good table. But id still go for the GC. If you really wanted the best of both worlds, you could just "diamondize" your pockets.

A lot of people talk about "diamondizing" the pockets of a non-diamond table.

I had my Olhausen pockets "diamondized" and they played extremely good. I was very happy with them. However, the one thing that "diamondizing" your pockets does not do is replicate the deep, deep shelf of a diamond table pocket. Therefore, I would not get a different table and "diamondize" the pockets; I would just go for the Diamond in the first place, which is what I ended up doing.

I wanted a table for practice and I wanted it to be fairly tight, which the pro-cut pockets are. Whatever you do with your pockets, you cannot replicate the deep shelf if it is not already there.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
A lot of people talk about "diamondizing" the pockets of a non-diamond table.

I had my Olhausen pockets "diamondized" and they played extremely good. I was very happy with them. However, the one thing that "diamondizing" your pockets does not do is replicate the deep, deep shelf of a diamond table pocket. Therefore, I would not get a different table and "diamondize" the pockets; I would just go for the Diamond in the first place, which is what I ended up doing.

I wanted a table for practice and I wanted it to be fairly tight, which the pro-cut pockets are. Whatever you do with your pockets, you cannot replicate the deep shelf if it is not already there.

Your Olhausen doesn't have deep shelf slate? Most of the ones I've played on do.

In any event, I think the whole term "Diamondizing" is pretty silly. When I bought my GC4 I had the pockets made tighter but not necessarily to the same angles and measurements as a Diamond. I wanted the pockets to accept a well struck shot from anywhere on the table and reject one not well struck (of course, a shot hit down from near the rail needs to be more precise than one from say, the head or foot spots). Really to Diamondize a GC I'd think you would have to cut the facings at a much different angle than the Diamond is cut at to compensate for the fact that a ball that might rattle on a deep shelf Diamond would go in on a GC.

I like the way a well set GC plays, but to me well set up does not mean Diamondized or made to play like a Diamond. It means made to play like a well set up GC. ;)

Last edited:

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Your Olhausen doesn't have deep shelf slate?

Not nearly as deep as a Diamond. I didn't measure, which I should have, but I would say at most it is 3/4th's as deep and maybe a little less than that.

My Diamond corner pockets are noticeably deeper to everyone that plays on it.