How do you aim bank & kick shots?

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I start by lining up my internet browser - I mean shot. I aim straight for AZB - I mean the rail. Then I measure up a good post - I mean angle. I account for the CTE discussion - I mean rebound angle. Then I fire away at the post - I mean bank.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hit a million banks and kicks. Trial and error. Then and only then can you eliminate the need for these so-called systems and depend on the 'instinct' you developed from hours of practice. No shortcuts.
Actually, systems are shortcuts. With them you might only need to hit a half million banks and kicks before "internalizing" the estimations.

pj
chgo

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I am aware that CTE and other aiming systems might cover these shots, but please refrain from starting a debate about CTE.

I have been reading about bank & kick shots today and the systems that are commonly used for them. I was wondering if there was a major tendancy toward one in particular. This thread is mostly for the purpose of seeing what people prefer and also why.

If you only have one system that seems to work well for you, or if you chose a system depending on the shot in particular, feel free to explain your reasoning, I would really love some experienced feedback on the subject!

Thanks!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=406611

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit a million banks and kicks. Trial and error. Then and only then can you eliminate the need for these so-called systems and depend on the 'instinct' you developed from hours of practice. No shortcuts.

1. Set up a bank shot and execute it. After the shot, keep your head still as much as possible to get feedback on how the shot went and adjust accordingly.
2. You may want to develop a cue action/stroke that is rhythmic and matches your natural tempo. Most of the time knowing the proper angle for the shot is not enough--having a good timing would allow you to hit the ball sweetly. That's why Bustamante is so good at banks.
3. You may want to try your hand at 3-cushion. That's how Efren became so proficient in kicking. FYI, Efren was an exceptional 3C player back in the 70s/80s. It certainly served him well in later years.

3 cushion is an excellent idea. I often spend a half hour or 45 minutes on a 3 cushion table before a big 9 ball match. It helps my kicking game and confidence in my kicks immensely.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I start by lining up my internet browser - I mean shot. I aim straight for AZB - I mean the rail. Then I measure up a good post - I mean angle. I account for the CTE discussion - I mean rebound angle. Then I fire away at the post - I mean bank.

Now that's funny... :grin:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
In and Out Position

I walk up on any shot I intend to bank by lining up the cue ball through the object ball and noting the coming out of number on the rail through where the directly banked ball will land on the opposite rail.

That way I can reason out a solution by knowing how the bank lays.

For instance if a bank is.....2 diamonds through .50 diamond on the far rail I know all I have to do is muscle the bank with stroke. Were I playing one pocket I would shoot slower and hit the bank with inside.

Knowing where the bank lays will determine what can be done to it to make it score.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am aware that CTE and other aiming systems might cover these shots, but please refrain from starting a debate about CTE.

I have been reading about bank & kick shots today and the systems that are commonly used for them. I was wondering if there was a major tendancy toward one in particular. This thread is mostly for the purpose of seeing what people prefer and also why.

If you only have one system that seems to work well for you, or if you chose a system depending on the shot in particular, feel free to explain your reasoning, I would really love some experienced feedback on the subject!

Thanks!

CTE covers banks shots. Please don't tell me what to say when answering your public query.

That said I use double the distance method for kick shots, bank shots, and safety play.

Precision Aiming in Safety Play.

This method is very strong and it works very very well. It is an estimation method but once you practice you can get some consistently good results.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

1. Set up a bank shot and execute it. After the shot, keep your head still as much as possible to get feedback on how the shot went and adjust accordingly.

A good system gives you baseline accurate lines to use and THEN you use your pool sense to adjust IF needed.

I have seen Tom Rossman teach C players how to kick and bank well above their pay grade in less than 20 minutes. And if anyone doesn't believe me we can bet the farm and I will pay Tom to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY4NW4oytR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32HFI1ushc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyYQMDmcZg&list=PLdCfnbGD70QV8sUqkF1AsPD2iWPfzO-uV

All you need to know about kicking and banking systems is on you tube. Cuts down the trial-and-error "million balls" way to learn CONSIDERABLY.

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
CTE covers banks shots. Please don't tell me what to say when answering your public query.

That said I use double the distance method for kick shots, bank shots, and safety play.

Precision Aiming in Safety Play.

This method is very strong and it works very very well. It is an estimation method but once you practice you can get some consistently good results.

Your double the distance method looks a lot like what I've seen Dr. Dave call the mirror method. It does seem to be a very good method!

I will give it a good try this evening.

Thanks for your input.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
You are very much off track about my intentions with this thread.

The question is not “what kicking/banking system is the best” or “which one should I use”.

It is a simple “what do you use/prefer and why”.

But sorry I guess! How dare I try to get the opinion of the other members for discussion on a discussion board!

How dare you not use the search feature of said discussion board. This has been discussed multiple times over the years.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The simplest method I know for one-rail banks/kicks is what I call "banking/kicking lanes" - easily visualized equal-angle "reference" tracks using the diamonds. Simply imagine the reference tracks on either side of the ball you want to kick/bank, then estimate where your actual shot must go.

Here's a pic to illustrate (see next post to see how to adjust for friction effects with a rolling ball).

pj
chgo

View attachment 19833

After banking and kicking a ton this is really where most players end up. I'm certainly at this point with bank shots, and most of the time with kick shots as well. Although, instead of imagining the lines it becomes an intuitive glance.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Different types of kick and bank shots require different aiming systems. There is no single system that works well for a wide range of kicks and bank of different types. All of the commonly-used systems for aiming all sorts of kicks and banks are documented here:

bank and kick shot aiming systems resource page.

Also, all bank and kick shot aiming systems require aim compensation based on shot speed, angle, spin, distance, and conditions. FYI, all of the effects that need to taken into consideration (either consciously or intuitively) can be found here:

bank and kick shot effects resource page

If somebody claims they have a single "system" (with no intuition-based compensation) that can be used to accurately aim all types of kick and bank shots, they are lying to you.

I personally always try to use the system which is best for a particular type of shot. Top players who have countless years of dedicated practice and experience typically don't use systems ... they just aim by "feel" based on their trusted experience-based intuition.

Regards,
Dave

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Here you go...

Here's a link to one of the threads I created on banking kicking accurately...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=369861

It covers one of the biggest mistakes people make trying to kick and bank and why a lot of people think you have to go off of intuition...

That being said, banking and kicking are the shots in pool that require the greatest amount of feel due to greater variance of speed and spin, so any system will just be a starting point.

Jaden

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Your double the distance method looks a lot like what I've seen Dr. Dave call the mirror method.
That's exactly what it is. Doubling the distance is another way to visualize the mirror image of your target. (So is the "spot on the wall" method.)

Keep in mind that all of these methods need adjustments for the friction effect of the ball hitting the rail (with or without sidespin).

pj
chgo