Thanks to Rob Molina (dontlitethat)

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Just wanted to give a few words of praise to Rob Molina for repairing my broken Starrett machinist level tube.

Rob is very knowledgeable about Starrett levels and did a great job in repairing mine! Any of you guys that have broken levels, send them to Rob and he will repair them with a fair price and quick turn-around. :thumbup:

Thanks again, Rob. It was a pleasure doing business with you!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Starrett 98 level vial replacement

Thanks for the kind words, I enjoy repairing those levels.
The tube assembly you sent was in need for some attention. the vial had been replaced before but whoever did the repair lost or misplaced the tiny friction springs that rest in detents between the inner and outer tube, Starrett purged all the old parts and changed the current design and did away with the tiny springs many-many years ago..so with there not being springs between the two tubes the outer tube was very loose and sloppy.
What I did is modify the outer tube in the lathe to allow Teflon spacers to be inserted in a slot the same way Starrett does their current production 98 levels and allows the outer cover to roll over smoothly with friction holding it in place.

Oh! And thanks for the replacement rail sights. They fit perfect!

Rob.M

ROB.M

Silver Member
How much are you charging Rob? I have 4 12inch that need tubes.

-
Standard vial replacement is $100.00 for a 98-12.

Considering you have four vials you need replaced, if you send all four at once I'll charge $90.00 per vial replacement with me paying the return shipping to you.

ROB.M

Silver Member
Starrett 98 vial replacement service

I've got a few on the work bench, now is a good time to send em to me for repair.

Offering a great deal while I have the tools and fixtures out.

Rob.M

Blair240

Bout time I got in here. He fixed more than a few for me. You will get your tube assembly back and the packaging alone shows the level of expertise and customer care in his work ...which is factory quality or better cuz my levels have custom logo's under the vials.

And his work helps me to better help my customers which i deeply appreciate ! Great site here guys , Ty Rob! - Chris

Levels (Small).jpg

ROB.M

Silver Member
Starrett 98 level repair

Hello Chris! Good to hear from you and to see you posting here.
Thanks for the kind words, I enjoy repairing these levels and the challenges it brings.

I'd like to say thanks for everyone's support here.
The man.. the myth.. the legand' that taught me the ropes of Starrett level repairs is no longer with us. I'm very greatfull he took the time to educate me on the things that took him a lot of work and efforts to figure out.
Mike worked with/for Starrett for many years before he retired- he built/designed the repair fixture Starrett uses.
A much missed friend.

We can shed tears
That he's gone

Or we can smile
because he has lived

We can close our eyes
And hope that he'll come back

Or we can open our eyes
And see all he's left.

Thank you once again.

Rob.M

Gumbo

Registered
A precision level requires precision service. Else just run to the mall and buy a carpenter level.
I sent two 98-12 to Rob for service (from Italy) and they were returned in better than new conditions. He fixed parts i didnt even know needed replace.
He knows what he's doing and does it with passion and dedication.
Thank you Rob !

ROB.M

Silver Member
It's Starrett 98 level repair time

I'll offer a discount durning the busy season of pool table service, I'll offer up vial replacement services.

I'll pay return shipping in lower 48 states.

All sizes of 96 thru 98 model series only.

YOU must remove the tube assembly~> do not send/ship the entire level please.

You have several that need repair? What a deal! discount<~
I've got some reconditioned tube&plug for 98-12 & 98-6 ready if anyone is looking for a spare.

Questions? Feel free to ask'

Rob.M

Last edited:

ROB.M

Silver Member
Starrett level repair

Keep em coming guys.
If you have the older Starrett levels with two lines/graduations on the main vial and would like the updated/more sensitive vial installed, I can update those.

Rob.M

ROB.M

Silver Member
Level repair

Bump to the top for level service and repairs.

Rob.M

Attachments

• IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 559
Last edited: