What is the best cue you ever played pool with?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning you shot your best pool with! The cue that made your pool playing a real pleasure to do. If you wish you can state the name of the cue, shaft, tip and weight! Thank you for your input.
Best Regards,
Lock N Load.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It would have to be my current cue, a 2005 Martin 'Merry Widow', with a fitted Predator 314/2, Morri medium tip, and at a playing weight of 19.25 ounces.
It's a great cue. :smile:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a Schon CX-06 fitted with a McDermott I-3. The I-3 has a tip diameter of 11.75mm and I like the Moori Soft tip on it. I'm very comfortable playing with this cue. It's well balanced and just has a good "feel" to it.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My current Bryan Mordt cue, broke and ran a couple racks in my session today with it. It is a 2011 Olivewood Plain Jane cue.. a little over 19oz, Kamui Black S, and a standard 13mm shaft.

Junior1228

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a buddy who is a real cue whore. Through him I have had the pleasure of playing with a lot of different cues, from a lot of different builders, including all of the top tier guys. Incredibly, the best playing cue I have ever had the chance to play with was probably one of the oldest cues he's had. It was a all original, steel jointed, George Balabushka with a Gus Szamboti forearm. The cue was so well balanced I couldn't believe it. The cue felt extremely solid and gave a lot of feedback. It seemed effortless to play with. It was a real pleasure to play with to say the least

This was the first time I ever saw a Balabushka let alone get to play with one. I was amazed at the top notch craftsmanship that he was able to accomplish with the tools and machinery available back then. For me the most amazing part was the original leather wrap. It was so well done that even after all these years I had to REALLY look to find the seam.

It was a pleasure to play with, I was in heaven, and sad that it wasn't mine.

Thanks for the opportunity to play with so many cues over the years, that I would never have otherwise had a chance to play with. (You know who you are.)

Junior

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 70's JOSS.

Most recently a Huebler H-14 (1980-81) that I got ran a close second.

Numerous other cues I have certainly have surprised me...in particular two very inexpensive "Taiwan" cues, an Audrick cue, and of course my old stand-by McDermott D-2.

But through it all, over almost thirty years, the clear winner for me has been my JOSS.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
My Jim Buss is the best shooting cue I have ever played with followed very closely by my Mike Bender. Both are 60 inches and weigh between 20-21oz. The Buss has 13 mm shafts and the Bender has 12 mm shafts. I like my other custom cues but these two are the best for me.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Lately I've been playing with a very old plain jane birdseye Joss West, which would be hard to beat.
I wouldn't say it's my best player, but it's close. and since I change every week it was an easy cue to get used to.
Other recent best players are James White, Ernie Martinez, South West, Tad, Sugartree, and Cognoscenti.

All of the shafts that I play with are made by the cuemaker, and I prefer medium layered tips such as Tiger Onyx, Ultraskin, and Chris Byrne.
I am in the process of putting new tips on several older cues that still have the original tips, but some hit great with the original Lepro's or whatever.

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best cue

Played with a Kersenbrock in the 70's...Never have had a better player..

thrash attack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a terrible player. My high run is a two pack(does that even count as a pack?) so my opinion probably means little on best playing cues. I own a richie Smithlin 6 point red heart/holly cue. It weighs in at 19.1 with a 12.75 onyx tip.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
My *old cue* made by H.J. Bertram. He built it in co-production with Dan Prather when he visited germany with his son.
Biggest mistake ever that i sold it in 1999 when i quit pool for a long time.
Another great player is from a friended Cuemaker, who makes cues beside his usual work- Silvio Zugec aka Gloria Cues. Simple Full Splice-plays great. His shafts are world-class in my opinion.

Now i m very satisfied with my Josey.

ac11

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love my cues but there was a 17 oz house cue that had a special place in my heart....just disappeared one day.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having a choice of what cue you like/want to shoot with does make a difference! Being able to choose is everything. Thanks for all the great input on what cue you like to shoot with.
Best Regards,
Lock N Load.