32 oz. break cue!

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a break cue I had just sitting around the house, and turned it into a monster! It was just sitting in a case, so I took it out, and took the weight out. It actually had a bunch of tiny little beads in it for the weight, so I took some wax, and put them all in the butt of the cue together. The wax held them in place nicely. I then took some insulating foam sealant, and filled up the rest of the butt. Needless to say, after everything settled in there together, it is heavy! I went out and broke a few racks with it tonight, and it hits like a truck! You don't have to swing it hard, but just hit the ball good and hit the head ball on rack solid. I know it isn't legal to use in leagues, or in most tourneys. But it was just fun to make it, and see how good it would break. Well, it breaks great and allows good cb control. The only issue is that after you break, your playing cue feels lighter. But it just takes a little adjustment to get used to. Thought I would share this. And no, I would never do this with any other cue! This is just a 100$ break cue I had.:thumbup:

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
I was taught a lesson about break cues a long time ago...faster tip speed = harder break. Not heavier cue. But I have also learned that everyone has different preferences so I am happy that is working out for you.

When I went to look for a good break cue, and I wanted heavier, the guy brought out a cue that weighed a lot...and said break with it...then brought out a 18oz stiff shaft cue and I broke with it...he said heavier isn't better, tip speed is.

JMHO
Carl.

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is true! I am about to buy me a new cue that weighs around 18.5 oz. I just thought I would mess around with this cue, because it was doing nothing but collecting dust. I have another break cue that is 18 oz, and it breaks great too. The one I just added the weight to, it does take away your tip speed some. But I am a bigger guy, and it is easy to swing for me. I can break normally in excess of 30mph. But I learned that by breaking softer I get way better cb control. So now I normally break around 21-23mph. Probably about 19mph with this heavy cue! I just wanted to try and see what I could do with it. And it turned out good! But I will definitely be getting me another light break cue soon!:grin:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
32 ounces MY GOD!!! That is two ounces heavier than the softball bat I used to use. To put it in perspective I have used that 30oz bat to hit a softball out of a 300 foot field, over a 30 foot fence, over outfield of the adjoining field and have it stop rolling on home plate of that field.

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have the app, but some guy at the local poolroom does. Next time I go, I will record a video of it for you. My highest break to date is 32.3mph. But like I already said earlier, I like to break softer to keep my cb control.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If a very heavy break cue moves the c ball slower, it cannot break better (if you are looking for c ball speed). If a lighter cue moves the c ball faster it will break better (if it is accurate).

More kinetic energy is in the c ball if it is moving faster. It's that energy that is transfered to the rack to get the break. Faster speed, harder break because of more energy not because a of heaver cue.

Speed is the only way to break harder. So you need a lighter stick.

The Iphone app "break speed" can show you that.

I play with guys that can break at 22mph but I can't make over 19mph. Some of the pros claim 25mph and up. incredible..... When you watch those videos of the matches you can see the balls from the rack move around the table at much faster speed than when I break. I read that some of the pros are using light break cues, even 17 oz.

The break cues that are 25 oz to 27 oz are just more sales hype like $25 layered tips and $25 chalk. I will throw some of the $250 shafts in there also. None of it will make you play better. There is no magic. You will only play better with practice using good equipment that you know how to use.

Kim

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am right there with everybody when it comes to using a lighter break cue for a faster break. I normally like to break with my playing cue, and I have done this for four years now. It is 19 oz, and it breaks the balls great. I do have a moori medium/hard tip on there though:D The only reason I made the cue that heavy was to mess around, and see how it would work. And it does break well. But I would prefer my playing cue to break with. I have used lots of break cues out there, and my choice by far is the Mezz dual force 2. I can crush a rack with that cue. Plus it jumps amazing also! I like the input I am getting so far. And I hope all you guys keep shooting straight and true!:thumbup:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me lighter better

just for fun i built a cue with a solid stainless steel forearm . pin, joint, forearm all one piece. there are photos in the cue review section. i call it my space odyssey cue. it weighed in at 35 oz.
worst break cue ever, no way can i get it going fast enough to break the balls. and the only way i could use it to play was to strap on one of my old rifle slings, as it wore me out carrying it around the table.

chuck

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
video of the 30+ mph break with the breakspeed app, or the 700 foot softball hit, please?:rotflmao1:

Don't laugh, that break cue is heavier than my driver, which I use to consistently drive the ball over 500 yards! :lmao:

Figured I'd join the club of outrageous statements but now all I can think of is Happy Gilmore.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmm

If a very heavy break cue moves the c ball slower, it cannot break better (if you are looking for c ball speed). If a lighter cue moves the c ball faster it will break better (if it is accurate).

More kinetic energy is in the c ball if it is moving faster. It's that energy that is transfered to the rack to get the break. Faster speed, harder break because of more energy not because a of heaver cue.

Speed is the only way to break harder. So you need a lighter stick.

The Iphone app "break speed" can show you that.

I play with guys that can break at 22mph but I can't make over 19mph. Some of the pros claim 25mph and up. incredible..... When you watch those videos of the matches you can see the balls from the rack move around the table at much faster speed than when I break. I read that some of the pros are using light break cues, even 17 oz.

The break cues that are 25 oz to 27 oz are just more sales hype like $25 layered tips and $25 chalk. I will throw some of the $250 shafts in there also. None of it will make you play better. There is no magic. You will only play better with practice using good equipment that you know how to use.

Kim

A lot depends on the player too !! I mean, how well would you break with a 9 oz cue?? If Babe Ruth could use a 40oz bat hitting a baseball moving in excess of 85mph, I would hope somebody out there is strong enough to use a monster break stick with good speed. I would not bet against Mike Massey weilding a tree trunk with a phenolic tip and making a few balls on the break. Heck, Earl shoots with a 26oz as his regular playing cue.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a break cue I had just sitting around the house, and turned it into a monster! It was just sitting in a case, so I took it out, and took the weight out. It actually had a bunch of tiny little beads in it for the weight, so I took some wax, and put them all in the butt of the cue together. The wax held them in place nicely. I then took some insulating foam sealant, and filled up the rest of the butt. Needless to say, after everything settled in there together, it is heavy! I went out and broke a few racks with it tonight, and it hits like a truck! You don't have to swing it hard, but just hit the ball good and hit the head ball on rack solid. I know it isn't legal to use in leagues, or in most tourneys. But it was just fun to make it, and see how good it would break. Well, it breaks great and allows good cb control. The only issue is that after you break, your playing cue feels lighter. But it just takes a little adjustment to get used to. Thought I would share this. And no, I would never do this with any other cue! This is just a 100$ break cue I had.:thumbup:

Why is it illegal? I have never heard of weight limits on cues.

Thanks in advance.

WW

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
it's Mass x Acceleration

lighter is not always better

Thank you!!!! (finally someone posted some common sense)

There is a "happy medium" for a break cue....It is different for each player.....but at some point the cue is too light and at some point the cue is too heavy.

regarding the OP.....I like my break cue to be about 18.5....just a bit lighter than my playing cue....when I go from the break cue to the playing cue....that little extra weight in the playing cue seems to make it easier to feel the weight of the cue and allow it to swing through the shot instead of pushing it through the shot...(if that makes sense)

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's Mass x Acceleration

lighter is not always better

Wrong it is MASS x VELOCITY[squared]
Speed does make a big differe:grin-square:nce.Not to say that one can't break at say 20 plus with the heavy cue and gain a advantage over breaking at the SAME speed with a lighter cue.

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whitewolf, I am not sure why they are illegal. But some leagues you play in have limits on the weight of the break cue you are allowed to use. I believe the BCA is bothing above 25 oz. I am a bigger guy, and I just wanted to try something pretty heavy to break with. I'm almost 6'2, and I am 275 pounds. So I find it easy to swing. But when I switch back to my playing cue, it is like playing with a paperweight! So I am not going to keep playing with it, but maybe just to mess around some. :grin:

Anunnaki

Registered
MASS x VELOCITY[squared]

This is key.

A slight increase in speed is double the effectiveness as increased mass. I was told a long time ago to use a break cue that is up to an 1 oz lighter than your shooter.

I tried using an Elite "illegal" 27oz break cue. It felt like I a knocking the hell out of the racks, but the results proved otherwise. Heavier is only better when speed/velocity is a constant.