shaft taper

bhodi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering who knows how to do a good pro taper. The last 3-4 cue makers and repair guys I have had do tapers for me do some kind of weird euro taper. Why don't people know how to do basic pro tapers? Is there anything special I am supposed to say to get a playable pro taper, where I don't feel the flaring like on a snooker cue? I know it isn't that difficult, many production cues come with good pro tapers.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I was wondering who knows how to do a good pro taper. The last 3-4 cue makers and repair guys I have had do tapers for me do some kind of weird euro taper. Why don't people know how to do basic pro tapers? Is there anything special I am supposed to say to get a playable pro taper, where I don't feel the flaring like on a snooker cue? I know it isn't that difficult, many production cues come with good pro tapers.

I am basing my opinion on you having a shaft made for you, not re-tapered. Most repairmen are limited in the taper area. A good cue maker can provide you with the pro taper you are looking for in your shafts. You may have to accept that particular maker's taper, most have settled on what they think is best.

All you have to do is ask to try their cue and see if you like the taper on the shaft, then go from there.

bhodi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
~12.75 probably. I just don't want to feel the taper when I play or follow through. I don't want a meucci taper either though. lol

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You don't state where you're from but if you have a CM or a good CTec in your area, you could take it to them personally and have them do it while you wait. That way, he could have you check it during the process to see where you'd like more taken off, etc.
I generally don't mind that as long as the client has an idea of what they want from the beginning. You can take it off but you can't put it back on.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Do you know the exact dimensions of the taper you want? "Pro Taper" as a specification is pretty vague.

If you know what you want, there are quite a few cuemakers out there that can very easily deliver the exact specs.

If you're looking for something you can't define, you'll just have to keep trying, just don't be too disappointed if it takes a while. :grin-square:

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Pro taper used to refer to a shaft that was the same diameter from the ferrule to about 13" back. Very, very few people like the way that feels or plays. Almost every maker in the world does what is really a modified pro taper that opens slowly from the ferrule to about 12-16 inches back then starts to increase in size more quickly. There are all kinds of fancy sounding names given to these modified tapers including parabolic, European, etc.
You need to find a cue maker who tapers shafts the way you like.

It is also possible to judge a cue by holding it up to a light and looking down the length to see the taper but this requires a lot of experience and isn't 100% accurate.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Rick,

A lot of loose terms used to describe pool cue tapers. Every cue maker has his own bend to the brim.

Rick G

bhodi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This helps to know that there is no real standard. I have heard that a .5mm increase marks the length of the taper, so a 13mm shaft has a 12 in taper if it is about 13.5mm 12 in back. So I usually get a 5in taper when I ask for a 13, by this definition. Cue makers seem to have an idea about making shafts stiff, thick, and euro tapered, to "reduce deflection." However I don't know anyone who likes this kind of shaft. Predator shafts come with a decent taper. I have had about 4 shafts butchered. I went as far driving 6 hrs to derby, to have the guy there totally butcher my shafts. I'm not a cue maker and don't know the exact technical things to say, maybe this is my problem, but they don't do what I say anyways, I told the guy 12.5mm and he took it down to 11.5mm after I said take the taper back some more.

Eric Wynne

Banned
I can hook you up !!! I have a pro taper that you would like , a little softer hit than than the stiff low deflection tapers you are not liking . this is more comfortable to stroke . Plain black band with aegis ferrule and one piece tip for a $100 plus actual shp . thanx ... eicustomcues ... :eek::cool:;)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This helps to know that there is no real standard. I have heard that a .5mm increase marks the length of the taper, so a 13mm shaft has a 12 in taper if it is about 13.5mm 12 in back. So I usually get a 5in taper when I ask for a 13, by this definition. Cue makers seem to have an idea about making shafts stiff, thick, and euro tapered, to "reduce deflection." However I don't know anyone who likes this kind of shaft. Predator shafts come with a decent taper. I have had about 4 shafts butchered. I went as far driving 6 hrs to derby, to have the guy there totally butcher my shafts. I'm not a cue maker and don't know the exact technical things to say, maybe this is my problem, but they don't do what I say anyways, I told the guy 12.5mm and he took it down to 11.5mm after I said take the taper back some more.

Make it easier.
Just measure the diameter every 3 inches from the tip.
1MM taper in 12 inches or 2MM taper in 16 inches is a very manageable taper imo.

bhodi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"A Pro taper used to refer to a shaft that was the same diameter from the ferrule to about 13" back. Very, very few people like the way that feels or plays"

Actually this sounds like heaven compared to most shafts. A slight increase in dia. wouldn't be noticed and would maintain rigidity. I have realized most cue makers have no idea what they are doing. They can repair ferrules or whatever, but not with the shafts/ tapers. They probably can't make 3 balls in a row, thus don't know what plays good/ bad.

"Make it easier.
Just measure the diameter every 3 inches from the tip.
1MM taper in 12 inches or 2MM taper in 16 inches is a very manageable taper imo."

Are you saying to match a taper by measuring another shaft? Very manageable, as in not noticeable and doesn't impede the stroke? 1mm in 12 in would be a 6 in pro taper, it would be cumbersome.

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Most cue makers develop their taper through much work, then they have taper bars made so that they can repeatable cut it on a manual machine.
To customize tapers, it's much easier with cnc.
Like Paul said, I've seen pro tapers that are basically parallel back from the tip from 10 to 13 inches. And like he said, most people don't like them on modern fast tables. My self and a lot of cue makers increase the diameter,
.001 per inch, for a certain distance, and then increase more rapidly.
You sound like a player, that knows what he wants, best to try other players cues from different makers and when you find the one you like, contact the cue maker. Tapers are a tricky thing. Unlimited varieties, and unlimited
opinions as to how they play.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Are you saying to match a taper by measuring another shaft? Very manageable, as in not noticeable and doesn't impede the stroke? 1mm in 12 in would be a 6 in pro taper, it would be cumbersome.

You just made your own version of " pro-taper".
That's why measuring your own shaft is the best idea.
Joey~ Has no idea what take the taper back some constitutes~

Last edited: