Shafts - is laminated better?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opinion

What is the main difference?

This is just my opinion.I think the main advantage is they are more consistent.If something happened to your laminated shaft as compared to a Maple shaft it is easier to replace the laminated one.Jim Buss (I think ) wrote an article years ago, saying that the more you play with a maple shaft the more the fibers in the wood break down .This happens very gradually and you are also adjusting to that hit and feel.If this shaft needs to be replaced , even using an exact shaft from the same cue maker that whole process needs to start all over again. The period of adjust depends on the wood and how much you are playing etc.With a laminated it is almost like the McDonald's busn. Approach, you can eat ones of their burgers in NY or Calf. And they are the same.Something happens to your laminated shaft just get a new one, the adjustment period is minimal.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Necessity, being the mother of invention, was the reason for the development of the laminated shaft, and the necessity, of course, was strength.
To build a shaft that has material removed from the tip end to reduce mass, and a shaft with sometimes as much as a fifteen inch pro taper, it had to be strong enough to resist warping over the course of it's life.
In my opinion the Predator, and OB, has done this, and I'm sure there are others. :)

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a maple shaft is fabricated from the outside of the log, it will have lateral rings like plywood. The deflection characteristics are different if one hits in grain vs. out of grain. the red and black dot parallel laminated shafts proffered this.

The radial laminated shafts like Predator, OB and Tiger and others are uniform in their hit 360 degrees around.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a 40 year old maple shaft. Still hits better than anything else I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Necessity, being the mother of invention, was the reason for the development of the laminated shaft, and the necessity, of course, was strength.
To build a shaft that has material removed from the tip end to reduce mass, and a shaft with sometimes as much as a fifteen inch pro taper, it had to be strong enough to resist warping over the course of it's life.
In my opinion the Predator, and OB, has done this, and I'm sure there are others. :)

I can't disagree with that, I feel it's all very true. But, on the other hand, I have never paid more than 35 bucks for a shaft, if that. So, should it warp, I'll get another. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't see myself paying 200+ dollars for 3 oz of wood. :)

I've been using the current one for 4 years, it has an 18 to 20 inch 12.5 pro taper that I did on my trusty Dewalt drill and it hasn't warped yet.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maple all the way for me. The good cue makers know not to rush to make a high quality maple shaft. I think they stand the test of time if they're made right and you take care of them. JMO

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Is plywood "better" than straight-grain, hard-rock, old-growth maple? Depends on what you're using it for.

JC

Coos Cues
The laminated predator shafts I have owned all had one thing in common. They were soft and very susceptible to dings. I got tired of it and got rid of them. I guess this is the by product of being made from scrap wood that is dried out too fast. I'll take solid maple any day. The good ones I have seem never to warp.

JC

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is plywood "better" than straight-grain, hard-rock, old-growth maple? Depends on what you're using it for.

Micro-lam would be a better comparison and it would be better for anything that was needed for strength rock hard maple would be better for trim :wink:

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A laminated shaft won't warp. You can leave it in your car. I tried one but couldn't figure it out.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest reason for laminated shafts is they are quicker to make. All the LD shaft makers are trying to make money at the end of the day, of course. They glue up wood that would never make a solid shaft and hot rod the front end so it shoots straighter and players buy them. Radial consistency is mostly marketing hype, in my opinion.

I'm glad I could buy a Tiger Pro-X shaft for under $200.00. If it was a solid maple shaft I'm sure it would be substantially more expensive. The way Tiger laminates makes their shaft wood look much more like solid maple than some other manufacturers.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Lambros cue with his standard shaft. I have been playing with a laminated shaft for more than 5 years. Most recently the BO classic pro. The biggest thing I have noticed, and it surprised me alot, is that I have an easier time with long straight shots with the Lambros than I did with the OB.

I am not finding it as easy to get english on the cb but that may be simply because of the difference in my tip. It's being replaced this Saturday so I will know for certain then. This is the first cue that I felt out shot a laminated shaft.
There is definitely a lot to be said for a good cue makers ability to craft a quality shaft.

semoquer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that I don't have to compensate as much with LD shafts. However, I don't like the hit of hollowed shafts. I have not tried OB classics though..