Straight Pool Deluxe iPad App

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
App

I purchased the app yesterday and used it last night.

has a ton of cool features. not sure that i was scoring exactly right. did not differentiate between fouls, scratches, intentional fouls early on. Tons of stats. love the timer.

A couple of times when my opponent did not hit miss, i got up there and credited my balls to him. need to look where the green light is,

looking forward to using it going forward.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My straight pool scoring app, Straight Pool Deluxe, was just accepted by the App Store. It’s iPad (and iPad Mini) only.

I’m working on creating a stripped-down free version to allow people to give it a test run, but for now it’s priced at $4.99. I’ll PM a promo code for a free install to the first responder on this thread who indicates they would like to try it out (but remember, is iPad only)! :) This forum was very helpful during app development, so happy to "give back" in some small way.

Also would appreciate any feedback on the app from users here.

Here’s App Store link with screenshots and features: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/straight-pool-deluxe/id870290295?mt=8

Scoring dashboard screenshot:

screen480x480.jpeg

Thanks,
Chris

Looks good...another product to look at too:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/billiards-buddy-score-counter/id399341220?mt=8

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased the app yesterday and used it last night.

has a ton of cool features. not sure that i was scoring exactly right. did not differentiate between fouls, scratches, intentional fouls early on. Tons of stats. love the timer.

A couple of times when my opponent did not hit miss, i got up there and credited my balls to him. need to look where the green light is,

looking forward to using it going forward.

Hi Dennis, just fyi, you don't have to differentiate between foul types if you don't want to, it just tracks separately for stats geekery. One feature I want to add eventually is an option to just track all that as "fouls", without the scratch and intentional foul choices, for those who prefer the "standard" scoring and are not as into stat details :)

Thanks for giving the app a try.

-Chris

PS Sure would appreciate app store reviews from any happy users. :grin:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hi Dennis, just fyi, you don't have to differentiate between foul types if you don't want to, it just tracks separately for stats geekery. One feature I want to add eventually is an option to just track all that as "fouls", without the scratch and intentional foul choices, for those who prefer the "standard" scoring and are not as into stat details :)

Thanks for giving the app a try.

-Chris

PS Sure would appreciate app store reviews from any happy users. :grin:

The more info, the better, i think.

I only used it one night so far, but intend to keep it up. have already talked about it to several in our league. once i get more use under my belt will do a review in the app store.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the app. How would I enter a "serious foul" into score. Let's say my opponent got stuck in the stack and instead of using a legal shot, used the ferrule on his cue to move the cue ball. That is a serious foul and -15 points and he has to re-break.

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the app. How would I enter a "serious foul" into score. Let's say my opponent got stuck in the stack and instead of using a legal shot, used the ferrule on his cue to move the cue ball. That is a serious foul and -15 points and he has to re-break.

Hmmm...that seems to fall under "6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct" in the rules...I have not added that feature to the app. I figured it was rare enough that it didn't need to be in the initial release :eek: However, I would like the app to be 100% rule-compliant, so will add this to the list of features to implement. Does this come up occasionally in league play?

Thanks for the feedback.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comes up on rare occasion. I have had it happen to me twice in last 10 or so years. I could see that when an "unsportsmanlike conduct" foul occurs app would take you to a decision tree with points penalty and re-break or not. Serious fouls can be disposition with various degrees of penalties.

Brokedryagain

Registered
I bought the APP after reading the postings earlier this week. Although I mostly play the Ghost at home, this time we kept real score so even for practice, the game became more difficult. I usually gave myself some leeway on safeties or fouls or scratches but not now.

Thanks for creating this.
Keith

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the APP after reading the postings earlier this week. Although I mostly play the Ghost at home, this time we kept real score so even for practice, the game became more difficult. I usually gave myself some leeway on safeties or fouls or scratches but not now.

Thanks for creating this.
Keith

Thanks for the feedback Keith, glad you are enjoying the app.

-Chris

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
My straight pool scoring app, Straight Pool Deluxe, was just accepted by the App Store. It’s iPad (and iPad Mini) only.

I’m working on creating a stripped-down free version to allow people to give it a test run, but for now it’s priced at $4.99. I’ll PM a promo code for a free install to the first responder on this thread who indicates they would like to try it out (but remember, is iPad only)! :) This forum was very helpful during app development, so happy to "give back" in some small way.

Also would appreciate any feedback on the app from users here.

Here’s App Store link with screenshots and features: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/straight-pool-deluxe/id870290295?mt=8

Scoring dashboard screenshot:

screen480x480.jpeg

Thanks,
Chris

I was trying to check player stats and the only player stats it will let me see are mine. It looks like it is supposed to allow me to check the stats on another player, but I cannot change it. Is there a trick to it?

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to check player stats and the only player stats it will let me see are mine. It looks like it is supposed to allow me to check the stats on another player, but I cannot change it. Is there a trick to it?

No, you can only see your own cumulative stats. You can see opponent stats for every game individually (tap Game Stats in bottom bar, then in the game history list, tap a game to see stats/innings for that game). But you are correct, the app only shows full cumulative stats history for the app owner.

Thanks,
Chris

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this app. Easy to use.

Question: I "played" a fictional game to test it out, but don't want those stats showing. Any way to delete that game?

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, just go to the game stats screen (4th tab on bottom from left), tap Edit in upper right corner, then tap the red circle next to the game you want to delete, click the confirmations. Then tap Done in upper right.

Thanks for checking out the app!

-Chris

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

how do I sync so I can see the game that I just played with another player which is on his ipad? when two synced players play, isn't it supposed to show up on both ipads?

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how do I sync so I can see the game that I just played with another player which is on his ipad? when two synced players play, isn't it supposed to show up on both ipads?

Yes, games are synced between player devices when the opponent has been added as a registered user on your ipad. So first step is to make sure your opponent has registered in the app on their ipad (set up a username/password, via the settings screen).

You can tell if you have a registered or unregistered opponent by going to settings screen, then tap Players in the menu. Let's say your opponent with the ipad is named Mike, and assume you already have games vs Mike on your ipad also. If Mike is listed as an unregistered opponent on your ipad, you will need to merge that player with the "real" (registered) Mike. You need to tap on his name there in the settings screen, and then tap the "Merge This Player With a Registered User" button. Then you enter Mike's username or email to do the merge, and any games scored on his ipad should sync to your ipad.

Once you do this and sync, Mike can sync and should see a new registered player (you) on his ipad (assuming that he also already had you as an unregistered opponent), along with the "regular" Dennis Walsh opponent he already had. So on his ipad, he will need to go to the same settings/players screen, and tap on the unregistered Dennis Walsh and do the same--tap the merge button, then choose the registered Dennis from the list of registered players at bottom of screen. Somewhat confusing...but basically you have to link your "Mike Corbett" opponent with the "registered Mike Corbett" in the system. I will try to post some screenshots on facebook as a walkthrough...feel free to message me with questions.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Syncing

Yes, games are synced between player devices when the opponent has been added as a registered user on your ipad. So first step is to make sure your opponent has registered in the app on their ipad (set up a username/password, via the settings screen).

You can tell if you have a registered or unregistered opponent by going to settings screen, then tap Players in the menu. Let's say your opponent with the ipad is named Mike, and assume you already have games vs Mike on your ipad also. If Mike is listed as an unregistered opponent on your ipad, you will need to merge that player with the "real" (registered) Mike. You need to tap on his name there in the settings screen, and then tap the "Merge This Player With a Registered User" button. Then you enter Mike's username or email to do the merge, and any games scored on his ipad should sync to your ipad.

Once you do this and sync, Mike can sync and should see a new registered player (you) on his ipad (assuming that he also already had you as an unregistered opponent), along with the "regular" Dennis Walsh opponent he already had. So on his ipad, he will need to go to the same settings/players screen, and tap on the unregistered Dennis Walsh and do the same--tap the merge button, then choose the registered Dennis from the list of registered players at bottom of screen. Somewhat confusing...but basically you have to link your "Mike Corbett" opponent with the "registered Mike Corbett" in the system. I will try to post some screenshots on facebook as a walkthrough...feel free to message me with questions.

I played a registered player last night. I am registered on his app. He is registered on mine. We scored on his app. After the game, I synced now on his app and synced now on my app. I expected to see the results on my app, but nothing.

I can only imagine that he may have not been connected to the internet at the time. When I pressed his sync now, it looked like it was working and said Everything up to date, but maybe he was not connected. I will check with him today.

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a registered player last night. I am registered on his app. He is registered on mine. We scored on his app. After the game, I synced now on his app and synced now on my app. I expected to see the results on my app, but nothing.

I can only imagine that he may have not been connected to the internet at the time. When I pressed his sync now, it looked like it was working and said Everything up to date, but maybe he was not connected. I will check with him today.

That looks like the case. I checked the server and there is no game there yet between you and Mike, so looks like it hasn't been synced from his ipad.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
That looks like the case. I checked the server and there is no game there yet between you and Mike, so looks like it hasn't been synced from his ipad.

It wasn't Mike that I played. It was Joe Klein, but Mike is more computer savvy and may meet up with Joe today to make sure he is connected when they sync.

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wasn't Mike that I played. It was Joe Klein, but Mike is more computer savvy and may meet up with Joe today to make sure he is connected when they sync.

OK, I don't see a "Joe Klein" as a registered user on the server. Make sure Joe has gone thru the register step in the app (settings screen, register menu item) or sync to opponents won't be available.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
OK, I don't see a "Joe Klein" as a registered user on the server. Make sure Joe has gone thru the register step in the app (settings screen, register menu item) or sync to opponents won't be available.

it might be under George Klein (joe67)