Need advice on a new cue

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently started a new job and I am starting the process of looking for a new cue. I have a budget of 2k (or lower is better) so my options are pretty wide open.

Right now I shoot with a McDermott and there is nothing wrong with it but since it is really the only cue I have ever shot with I am looking to branch out into either a high end Predator (P3 or Panthera) or a custom.

The looks matter to me but no where near as much as the playability of the cue.

I also am not looking for a traditionally designed cue and would like something different from the normal points and windows type thing.

Are there any custom makers out there that design cues with different designs from the norm?

As a point of reference I would also play with the ugliest cue in the world if it hit and played the best in the world.

So looks aren't anywhere near the top on my list of priorities.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Bear in mind this is only my opinion, and opinions are like rear ends, everybody has one, but I would recommend a Schon STL-5, or higher, with a Schon/Predator shaft.
You couldn't possibly go wrong. :)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I will second Tramp Steamers answer, I would also go with a Schon, I think they are one of the best hitting production cues available. But that is only an opinion and...................................................

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As a point of reference I would also play with the ugliest cue in the world if it hit and played the best in the world.

You do not have to spend a ton of money on a good cue. Can't go wrong with a Predator, Schon or Pechauer.
The cue that you like is The Best. The cue that you play well with is The Best. I have a bunch of cues and enjoy playing with most of them. Some are wall art. Some are wall queens. I feel that playing with the same cue all of them time delivers consistency.

Last edited:

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I would try a bunch of cues before selecting one even if you have to buy them and resell them back. If you go over to the wanted/for sale section here, you can normally find good deals there where you wouldn't lose much money reselling. Here is a list of cues I think you should try:

Jensen
Josey
Frey
Barnhart
PFD
Pierce
Barnhart

There are plenty of others obviously but I would start with those. I personally wouldn't switch to a predator if you have been using a regular shaft and are playing relatively well. I made that mistake of switching to predator for about a year and it's definitely an adjustment. It's all personal preference. Good Luck!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnnyt

It's the tip and then the shaft and what feel like a good feel/hit to you. I wouldn't wait 10 minutes for a custom cue. Johnnyt

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual, I disagree with the above....:rolleyes:

I recommend putting a tad more in a cue and picking up a used Southwest.

IMO, Southwest is about the only cue in the 2-3K range that isn't dropping in value.

When you get ready to sell it, you will get at least what you paid for it or very close.

If not that, I would recommend look on secondary market for used name brand cuemakers.

I often see some pretty decent deals here.

If you buy a Schon or Pechaurer or other new production cue, consider it only worth about 1/2 what you paid for it when you are ready to sell it again.

If you are thinking about a Schon, IMO, I would only consider older ones with sharp points, not the cnc models produced today.

JMO

Best of rolls,

Ken

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you located? Most areas have reputable cue makers within a reasonable distance.

I love my Chris Whitaker cue. And the next cue I shoot with will probably be another of the same.

With a local cue maker, you can try the cue, tell him what you like, etc.

Chris' prices are very reasonable and it's the most well balanced, best hitting cue I've played with.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recommend putting a tad more in a cue and picking up a used Southwest.

IMO, Southwest is about the only cue in the 2-3K range that isn't dropping in value.

When you get ready to sell it, you will get at least what you paid for it or very close.

If not that, I would recommend look on secondary market for used name brand cuemakers.

I often see some pretty decent deals here.

If you buy a Schon or Pechaurer or other new production cue, consider it only worth about 1/2 what you paid for it when you are ready to sell it again.

If you are thinking about a Schon, IMO, I would only consider older ones with sharp points, not the cnc models produced today.

JMO

Best of rolls,

Ken

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I always hit with an OB shaft and a Kamui Black S or SS tip.

I have hit with a Joss and while it had a good hit it wasn't what I was looking for because at the time I didn't have the money to buy an OB shaft to go with it.

I am interested in Schon but can anyone tell me why the hit is better with a Schon than a Predator or is it all subjective?

I am interested in either a wood to wood joint or a metal joint. Right now I have some sort of white ivory wanna be material on my McDermott and it doesnt give the amount of feedback I would like.

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got custom route- well know names. They are well known for a reson and if you dont like it you can sell it easy and not losing any money, sometimes even making $$

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
We can build you an AMAZING cue for about $1500 give or take. You can PM me for more info if you like. Depending what you want for looks price will very, but a more plain cue that will play lights out, we can even get under $1k.

I would definitely go with a custom builder in that price range though. Buying a new schone is like throwing your money away, same with most production cues from what I see...

Best,

Justin Hanson

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joss and Schon are excellent cues. I took a lesson from Stevie Moore last weekend and hit 30 to 40 balls with his newest Mezz with the soon to be released 12 mm LD shaft. Very, very nice! Hit better than any Joss or Schon I've played with. We're i to purchase a production cue, that would be it.

If you're going to spend $2k, I'd recommend a custom. I'm a big fan of Mike Durbin and Travis (Blackcreek). They're up and coming cue makers and IMHO priced very reasonably. I also have a Kikel and Murrell, both of which look and play great. I have OB2 shafts that got all of them, makes moving from one to the other rather easy as all weigh almost exactly the same and are cored to be perfectly balanced for me.

Cues are a uniquely personal thing. Try to hit some different ones to see what you like. From an investment point of view, a custom is likely to hold its value or appreciate better than a production cue.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue

So I recently started a new job and I am starting the process of looking for a new cue. I have a budget of 2k (or lower is better) so my options are pretty wide open.

Right now I shoot with a McDermott and there is nothing wrong with it but since it is really the only cue I have ever shot with I am looking to branch out into either a high end Predator (P3 or Panthera) or a custom.

The looks matter to me but no where near as much as the playability of the cue.

I also am not looking for a traditionally designed cue and would like something different from the normal points and windows type thing.

Are there any custom makers out there that design cues with different designs from the norm?

Depending on where you live of course, try and support a local cue maker or at least consider his cues. Many pool halls can order production cues and you help them keep the doors open. Best option is go to BCA Vegas event and test drive lots of cues! For a custom I would point you to Bob Dzuricky. Great guy, great cue!

dbrown

Registered
I played with a Gandy and Muccie for years and last year I bought a Hurricane from Whitey. Never thought I would change from a flemsey shafted Muccie but I did and I am shooting beter than ever. I would hit several cues before you deside. My custom Hurricane was cheep around 350 $ and it hits beter than some cues that cost 1000$.
It all has to do with what you like not the price!!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the tip and then the shaft and what feel like a good feel/hit to you. I wouldn't wait 10 minutes for a custom cue. Johnnyt

I think that old fart might know something or 2.

Sure...looks are a factor, but remember that pool is what it is for.

If it doesn't feel right then it is effectively trash. It isn't going to be of any use to you.

I had a cue from a well know maker that I bought without touchig it and it was like a noodle. I couldn't run out with that POS if it was 4 stop shots in a row.

Try out some cues before you take the plunge. $2k is a lotta $ for firewood.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
IMO, you have to be ready for a custom... meaning, to get your money's worth from a playing perspective, you have to already know what you like in a "hit".

There are several factors.. for example, the taper and diameter of the shaft. And the ferrule material and length... and the tip, of course.

Hell, even the length... do you like a shorter cue?... for example, I don't. I prefer a 59.5" or a 60" overall length. A 58" cue is too short for me as I'm 6' 3".

Buying your first custom is a crap shoot unless you already have enough experience to really know what you like is a cue's playability.

jmo.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you only care about the hit then go with a custom sneaky. Check out Josey or Diveney or any of the custom guys and go with a sneaky. If you go with a full splice one it will hit as good as most of their high end cues but without the fancy butt.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Just speaking for myself....I never bought a cue with the concern of selling it. I will assume most players keep what they buy.

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the answers guys.

I always hit with an OB shaft and a Kamui Black S or SS tip.

I have hit with a Joss and while it had a good hit it wasn't what I was looking for because at the time I didn't have the money to buy an OB shaft to go with it.

I am interested in Schon but can anyone tell me why the hit is better with a Schon than a Predator or is it all subjective?

I am interested in either a wood to wood joint or a metal joint. Right now I have some sort of white ivory wanna be material on my McDermott and it doesnt give the amount of feedback I would like.

If you are used to playing with an OB than stick with that. The shaft tip combo is where the "playability" comes from mostly. The next biggest things in my opinion are balance point, type of grip, and length of cue. I would figure out what you like in those 3 aspects and get a BEAUTIFUL cue that closely matches what you want in those 3 aspects. After that get your OB of choice and slap a kamui on there and you should be good to go. If you are used to low deflection stick with that. It's a good thing in the long run and you can have very repeatable results no matter what cue you are using if it has a LD shaft on it. My personal favorite is a Schon with an OB classic and kamui black medium.