Cyclop Balls

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't find any real information on the web, maybe a missed a thread here?

Who makes them? Are they different and how/why? In a few screenshots, I think I saw the measles cue ball. Is the cyclop cue ball a measles ball or was the tournament mixing and matching?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I didn't see any players flipping up their hands like
"that ball totally reacted funny" after a shot. But I never hit one.
From the way they moved on the stream they didn't seem especially heavy or light or weird.

I like the colors and they seem a little easier to tell apart. I thought the light blue one
blended a little too closely with simonis tournament blue.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are the balls. Justin took this pic a week or so ago from the CSI offices.

Thanks. I could probably get used to it, but my first reaction to the light blue is negative. But it would reduce confusion on TV and the internet between the 3/5/7.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I could probably get used to it, but my first reaction to the light blue is negative. But it would reduce confusion on TV and the internet between the 3/5/7.

Yeah, I guess it's subjective. I actually like them.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Some of the colors make a couple of the balls difficult to distinguish even on high quality monitors and HD video.

I've never played with them but if they had some problems with them, we would most likely have heard about them by now.

JoeyA

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any feedback from the BCA and/or US Open regarding the new balls?

Playability is the same as Aramith. Using the Aramith measle ball is better than the CB that comes in the box. One noticeable difference though is the balls ability to stay clean and shinny. After so much play for a whole week they are still clean. And a lot of players play through out the night into the morning hours as the Pavillion stays open 24/7.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Playability is the same as Aramith. Using the Aramith measle ball is better than the CB that comes in the box. One noticeable difference though is the balls ability to stay clean and shinny. After so much play for a whole week they are still clean. And a lot of players play through out the night into the morning hours as the Pavillion stays open 24/7.

I guess if someone breaks John Schmidt's high run on video using the Cyclop balls, their record won't count. :grin:

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow. Thanks for the feedback!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard the North American distributor for Cyclop talking earlier today about these balls.

He said they are 85% phenolic resin as compared to Aramith's 50 something % which he claims will mean better performance and durability.

Also, he said the Hyatt Ball Company (NY) partnered with Cyclop sending their (Hyatt) people to China to teach Cyclop workers how to make the balls. Hyatt has been around a long time. Actually, l didn't realize they were still in biz.

This fellow also commented on cue ball weight saying the Cyclop cue ball is a matched weight to the set at 169 and the measel ball is a little light at I think 166. I was under the impression that the measel ball was slightly heavier than Aramiths so does this mean there is a sizeable gap in weight between aramith vs cyclop?

BTW, I've been referring to the company as "Cyclop" without an "s" because that is, in fact how they spell it.

best,
brian kc

I really like the look of these balls and wouldn't mind trying out a set.

Last edited: