Tor's ZeroX Kicking Systems

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been studying hard learning Tor's ZeroX kicking systems and find them quite accurate and complete. Does anyone else use these? Are there better ones?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been studying hard learning Tor's ZeroX kicking systems and find them quite accurate and complete. Does anyone else use these? Are there better ones?

There are many banking and kicking systems. Here is Dr. Dave's resource page that includes some videos: http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/banks_and_kicks.html
Remember that any system will just get you close and it is up to you to develop a feel for the effects of speed and english and how the table conditions can change things. If you practice on only one table you will be in trouble on other tables.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many banking and kicking systems. Here is Dr. Dave's resource page that includes some videos: http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/banks_and_kicks.html
Remember that any system will just get you close and it is up to you to develop a feel for the effects of speed and english and how the table conditions can change things. If you practice on only one table you will be in trouble on other tables.

Thanks for the link and some great advice!

ballston

Registered
Try manningcues.com, which I recently learned about on this site. I like Tor's Zero-X, but I find Manning's videos and printouts easier to follow and understand.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try manningcues.com, which I recently learned about on this site. I like Tor's Zero-X, but I find Manning's videos and printouts easier to follow and understand.

Quite a bit of misinformation on Manning's videos!!!!

randyg

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

I have Manningcues printouts and have watched his videos but I like Tor's ZeroX systems better. The cue ball's and object ball's position sometimes requiring a different number system from the normal layout is a little daunting but can be mastered in just a day or so. Not sure, but I assume all systems require these adjustments in one form or another.
I'm pouring through "Billiard Atlas" volumes now and find it amazing how new cloth and siliconed balls are desirable in the billiard game! Even to the extreme of applying silicone to the cloth to simulate new cloth. I couldn't wait until my pool table's cloth became "normal" with dirt, grime and chalk to finally quit the wide slides. Did not know it was desirable. In these books I learned in the top billiard tournaments, new cloth is installed hours before the tournament and the top players are fully accustomed to it.
I'm starting over with new cloth this week.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... in the top billiard tournaments, new cloth is installed hours before the tournament and the top players are fully accustomed to it. ...
I think it's more accurate to say they know how to deal with it. The problem with newly-installed cloth is that it is changing significantly even as you play on it so the angles are hard to predict. The top players I've talked to like a situation where qualifiers are held on the tables before they have to play on them so the tables are not changing so quickly.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's more accurate to say they know how to deal with it. The problem with newly-installed cloth is that it is changing significantly even as you play on it so the angles are hard to predict. The top players I've talked to like a situation where qualifiers are held on the tables before they have to play on them so the tables are not changing so quickly.

Good point.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much do you want?

1. A level cue delivers more tip area to the cue ball.
2. The pendulum motion doesn't Pause.
3. A tight grip is implied.

randyg

i never picked up on those comments as most of manning's videos i am familiar with are about the kicking systems which i thought were accurate
thats why your comment surprised me randy
thanks for the reply

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never picked up on those comments as most of manning's videos i am familiar with are about the kicking systems which i thought were accurate
thats why your comment surprised me randy
thanks for the reply

Actually I like the Manning Videos.

I just filter out the BS and try to learn the good stuff.

randyg

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually I like the Manning Videos.

I just filter out the BS and try to learn the good stuff.

randyg

I think anyone that puts out free information is doing a service. We can take it or leave it.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
could you give an example shot for each angle
thanks

This post deleted do to the fact that I did not have permission to use that information.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for taking the time to explain
parrallel lines are easier than doing it "by the numbers" but sometimes its hard to be sure your parralel line is parrallel...:eek:
btw
whats your instructors name??

Sorry, I'm not a liberty to put out that information

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
All kicking systems are essentially the same no matter how things are numbered etc. When you kick, the cue ball obeys physics.

What Tor does that makes his "better" in my opinion is the use of modern video graphics technology to more easily teach his version of it. Which makes his videos kick ass.:smile:

JC

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
All kicking systems are essentially the same no matter how things are numbered etc. When you kick, the cue ball obeys physics.

What Tor does that makes his "better" in my opinion is the use of modern video graphics technology to more easily teach his version of it. Which makes his videos kick ass.:smile:

JC

I fully agree with that. I watched his kicking video twice, taking notes while doing so on sheets of paper with 8 pool tables on it, so that I could remember the numbering system and how it changes as the CB and OB positions change. I have that all memorized and added to my brain. Don't know for sure, but I assume his systems are as good as any others using numbers.
What amazes me is how tables can play so different, dependent on cloth, brand of cloth, age of cloth, how it was stretched on the table and over the cushions, brand of cushions, height of cushions, etc. etc. Job number one is to quickly calculate how a table plays and modify the systems accordingly. I still can not describe a perfect table. Tor says his is "pure" but is it? Looks like a very cheap table to me, very wide open pockets that accept pretty sloppy shots. I hear a "thump" when the ball hits the rails, etc.