9-ball practice shots

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read an article once in pool and billiards magazine that presented a layout of balls that included the most common shots needed for the 9-ball game. The idea of course was to shoot these shots in order and get position on the next ball, thus gaining the ability to play most of the shots that you regularly come across in a game of 9-ball. I unfortunately have been unable to find that issue, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to finding a similar drill.

Thanks!

Bill

angldemn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I afraid this will sound a bit disrespectful, but if you are looking to practice the shots that come up most in a game of 9 ball, why not just play nine ball?

:shrug:

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, the Bert Kinister 60 Minute Workout is based on the most common 9-ball shots.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
( ball shots

Theres a great book called "How Would You Play This?" You can buy it from Acc-Stats 10 bucks or so. It has lots of great lay outs ans it ask you how you would play them, then the next page give you the correct way, based on highest percentage of running out.

Its a good read, covers 9ball, 8 ball and 14.1..., it will help you think through your approch at the table, well worth the cost.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, the Bert Kinister 60 Minute Workout is based on the most common 9-ball shots.

^ good one to check out
I think he has 2 tapes like this, a very early one (maybe #1) and one he made years later.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get "Lessons in 9-ball" by David "Blackjack" Sapolis. He has a whole big section of just drills.

Dave

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Bob Henning's Pro Skill Series has basically the same shots as Bert's 60 minute workout. Both are worth the investment.

Fast Davie NC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a lot of training stuff and the best one that helped with 9 ball position was Buddy Hall's clock system and "How do you win from here" from Accu Stats... GREAT STUFF!!!

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I afraid this will sound a bit disrespectful, but if you are looking to practice the shots that come up most in a game of 9 ball, why not just play nine ball?

:shrug:

I believe their is much more to improving your game than to do that. If I just play 9-ball, I may slowly improve, but never truly become proficient at and master the shots necessary to consistently play 9-ball well.

On the other hand, there a number of shots that routinely come up in one form or another during 9-ball play. If you shoot these over and over in a practice based setting, you can not only master making them, but also master how to get position to any other shot.

These drills often come in the form of run out patterns. You shoot each shot over and over again until you can master the shot and necessary position. Now you are able to make that shot or slight variations of it with precision anytime it comes up during play. Once you have done that with all of the very commonly occuring shots, your run out percentage should improve dramatically.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
I read an article once in pool and billiards magazine that presented a layout of balls that included the most common shots needed for the 9-ball game. The idea of course was to shoot these shots in order and get position on the next ball, thus gaining the ability to play most of the shots that you regularly come across in a game of 9-ball. I unfortunately have been unable to find that issue, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to finding a similar drill.

Thanks!

Bill

You might be talking about Mississippi 9 Ball. Here's one thread about it:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=64039&highlight=mississippi+ball

Joe Tucker's Guaranteed Improvement also shows you the essential routes in 9 ball (if you are looking for books/vidoes).

Finally, I subscribed to this thread a while back when I was looking for drills:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=78217

enjoy!

Last edited: