Oscar Dominguez in UK tabloids, not good.

miha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you guys even watching the game? Dennis played a terrible pushout (overshot the ball by a foot or two), and Oscar told him that he had a touch of a rapist. It was sarcastic and funny, kept both him and Dennis in good spirits even though they've left a shot for the opponents. The whole tabloid thing is taken terribly out of context.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh the horror of it all

The fact that this even needs to be explained makes me extremely sad.

Do any of you know how hard it is to remember that you are mic'd up? If you do it every day, then yeah, it becomes much easier. Trust me, there have been many times in my work, where somebody says something inappropriate for being mic'd up and those people wear mic's WAY more often than once per year.

If this was said in the action room at derby, everybody would be laying of the floor laughing, not butt hurt and seeking counseling.
Jason
well he is biting the Hand that is feeding him....I am sure he has signed some contract with Matchroom for the tournament and they do not wish to be associated with personal insults on air.....
in the end his behavior tells more about him and what he stands for ...I know whom I respect more...

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
If this is true he's as done as John Conyers. No excuse for this, joking or not.

You don't have to wonder if it is true since the video of it is right there in the link you quoted.

The comment was said as a joke, and it was clear by what Oscar said and how he said it that his comment had a negative connotation towards rapists so I'm not quite sure why the huge uproar. I could understand more if the comment was somehow positive towards rapists or in support of that but it clearly wasn't and was actually the opposite. Yes he shouldn't have made a comparison between a teammate and a rapist on television (and perhaps even if not on television), even in jest, but it just isn't near as big a deal as some are painting it out to be. I kind of put this one in the so what category.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me just say that I do not know him personally, I just give my opinion on the subject.

1) I know he knows he's miced up, but come on. He is a pool player. As I said I do not know him or what else he does with his life, but I'm guessing that he is not often in a televised international event. I'm guessing that he is not used to this kind of pressure. Making a joke to relax with your teammate is not unreasonable.

2) If anyone is to blame is matchsport. How many times had the commentators "apologized for the inappropriate language a player used"?? Why do they still mic up the players? Don't they get that pool players use "inappropriate language" when on massive pressure? We are not talking about college professors, we are talking about pool players dealing with the biggest pressure on their life...

3) Jokes should be taken as jokes. A joke doesn't define a person's true beliefs. People need to relax.

4) The article is pure sh*t. "A tweeter user said this". As if as creating a tweeter account and writing tweets gives you some kind of credit. Who the f**k are those "tweeter users" and why should we listen to them or take them seriously and act like their opinion matter? Why are they important?

5) "Dennis Hatch looked decidedly uncomfortable as he took his seat after his shot". Yeah right... Did they watched the video before writing the article or did they watched it frame by frame to find one that Dennis looks funny? All I saw was that he laughed...

Scottyboy716

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I think that's what he meant but I still don't understand why he would think it's a good idea to basically tell your teammate he hit a terrible shot.
It's not very nice to put your teammate down after he screws up.

Dennis said "Perfect" sarcastically laughing at himself. Oscar replied all in fun!

"Touch of a R$#W#T" Implies no touch at all.

CCCue

Registered
People look for any reason to be offended. Sure not best choice of words but so what? He didn’t say anything illegal or use profanity - there’d be no issue if he said, you killed it, you murdered it, you stole it....

Yes, rape is a particularly heinous crime, but it was just a word used as an adjective - poor choice -yes, ban-worthy - not a chance.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Rather ironic to get upset over that when the entire environment is encouraging the kind of yelling and screaming that's going on. Either you have a raucous WWE type of environment, or you keep the noise down and encourage a PGA style of event. You can't have it both ways.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to formally apologize to all those who have been tuning in to watch the marvelous Mosconi Cup. I made a poor choice in my comment and I meant absolutely no disrespect to anybody. As a family man myself, I didn’t mean to offend anybody.

I, along with everyone on Team USA, appreciate everyone’s support and interest in the greatest event in the pool world. You have my word that I will not use this language in the future.

Thanks for your interest in this sport we all love.

Best regards and happy holidays from my family to yours.

Oscar Dominguez

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/oscar-dominguez-statement/

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I knew what Oscar meant as soon as I heard it. I took it as a NON-PC joke.

For those of you actually think that pro pool could ever thrive by the players just being "themselves" and acting on TV like hustlers and all rough and routy, this should be the perfect example for you. It will NEVER fly.

Pro pool needs to move towards the snooker environment or like the old time 14.1 playing in tuxes if you want money in pool.

You think any advertisers want to be anywhere near this "rape" worded joke?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you guys even watching the game? Dennis played a terrible pushout (overshot the ball by a foot or two), and Oscar told him that he had a touch of a rapist. It was sarcastic and funny, kept both him and Dennis in good spirits even though they've left a shot for the opponents. The whole tabloid thing is taken terribly out of context.

This sums it up perfectly.The shot before the comment was horrible.He was breaking the tension.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Sun is a trashy UK tabloid where any publicity is good publicity. It breaks up celebrity marriages with its show and tell crap but those marriages don't last anyway and the rake back for the celebrity from the publicity is huge. Oscar has no presence in the media in the UK outside the game of pool. Nobody will remember him. It's all geared to getting the bloke down the pub talking about 9 ball pool while he is hitting his red or yellow and jabbering about Ronnie O'Sullivan or one of the walk on girls at the darts. Oi oi oi!

Nothing to do with Matchroom at all. Matchroom played no part in it whatsoever.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine use to say that I had “the touch of a blacksmith” meaning that I had no soft touch and I hit the balls to hard.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very poor choice of words.

'Touch of a rapist' is obviously not good touch, judging from both the shot outcome and the reaction to the comment...

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
What does that expression mean? I have never heard of it before.

Everybody is so damn sensitive this year in the social media platforms watching the Mosconi Cup.

The European viewers continue to ridicule Americans, making fun of us as of we're "B players" trying to keep up with the "big boys." That's what the EUropean commentators are saying too.

The Arab viewers have one thing on their mind: We want America to lose.

The Latino/Hispanic viewers are pulling for David Alcaide. Thank goodness somebody got to the commentators to explain how to pronounce his name. When he first came on, it sounded like they were calling him "al-Qaeda." "Al-Qaeda made a brilliant shot." :embarrassed2:

I have not read much of what the Asian viewers say, but they must be over the moon about the upcoming Efren Reyes Cup.

The Americans continue to pick apart every single thing the Europeans do. If Ralf takes too long to shoot, that should be a foul. Jayson's eagle mask may have not been a good choice since it an eagle represents America. Yeah, I get it: "Eagle Eyes" is his nickname. Americans were calling him wearing a pigeon mask. :grin:

And now we have the UK tabloids calling for Oscar's dismissal.

What happened to watching good pool? That's what I'm there for.

Oh, and one more thing. I'll join the rest of the unforgivingly critical railbirds and say that I am so sick and tired of those fist pumps. Give is a break.

As for Shane, poor guy. That will be a shot that he will never forget for the rest of his life. I'm still in shock, but, hey, it happens when you're in the heat of the battle. He's still one of my favorite players of all time and will continue to be. :cool:
That’s a great post JAM. These short races put too much luck into the outcome. In a race to 11 you can come back if your opponent gets a couple of lucky rolls, but in a race to 5 if your opponent gets one or two good rolls you don’t have time to make it up. The first day Jim Wych said the rolls favored team Europe and it seems to have continued, but in addition to rolls the US team has uncharacteristicly missed shots that they’d normally never miss. You cannot miss balls you are supposed to make in a race this short and get away with it.

There are a lot of good pool players in the US, but due to the way the teams are selected we can’t seem to get 5 players eligible to beat these Europeans.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not agree with his apology. He shouldn't have issued one.
I listen to Bill Burr's podcast a lot (he is a stand up comedian for those who don't know him) and he has expressed his opinion on peoples apologies after someone got offended.

His point is that if you issue an apology, it is basically you admitting you meant what you said in a malicious way, that's why you apologize, you admit you did something wrong and you are sorry for doing it.

In this case it's obvious that he didn't mean anything in a malicious way and it was a joke. Saying that he won't use that kind of language again implies that "yes, I was being malicious, I won't do that anymore", justifying the offended people.

Instead, he should say "I was making a joke. Jokes aren't reflections of peoples beliefs."

Jesus Christ, you can't make a joke anymore without getting in trouble and have to apologize!
And with that I would like to apologize to anyone I offended saying "jesus christ", I should have been more thoughtful of other people's religion and not implying that my religion is true and theirs is not. I was way out of line saying only Jesus's name and not including other messiahs and gods of other religions.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the stuff going on about sexual harassment and such, to even joke about that is in poor taste. Oscar may be a good guy but he now has the rep of the guy who made a rape joke in the biggest pool event of the year. This also brings up a bigger issue in having the players mic'd. I haven't heard profanity from team Europe at all but we heard this from Oscar and Billy dropping a couple F bombs. In years past there have been language issues with team USA as well. We need to learn how to treat pool like a classy sport as it once was. Seems like Europe (with the exception of Filler) are way ahead of us on that aspect as well.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I laughed my arse off when I heard it. I've never heard the expression before but it's not hard to figure out what it means. I'm not the type of person that thinks this means Oscar finds rape funny or anything of the nature. It's a figure of speech. Akin to inmates running the asylum.

People will be "outraged" and then someone will need to be more "outraged and offended" than that person and it will continue.