Why do tables play different?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
went down to play and size up a 9' diamond table in a local bar. It has artimus cushions, 860hr tournament blue cloth. It banks exactly like mine in that the standard three rail out of a corner pocket, aiming at the diamond 6 (two diamonds past side pocket), with just a 1/2 tip running english, it goes in the heart of the adjacent corner pocket. I was able to get a 5 a few times slamming it as hard as i could. So now, i think my friend's olhausen plays long and mine plays normal. Happy camper in salem:smile:

red or blue label diamond table?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Went down to play and size up a 9' Diamond table in a local bar. It has Artimus cushions, 860HR tournament blue cloth. It banks EXACTLY like mine in that the standard three rail out of a corner pocket, aiming at the diamond 6 (two diamonds past side pocket), with just a 1/2 tip running English, it goes in the heart of the adjacent corner pocket. I was able to get a 5 a few times slamming it as hard as I could. So now, I think my friend's Olhausen plays long and mine plays normal. Happy camper in Salem:smile:

what you call diamond 6 is really diamond 2 for those who use the "corner 5 system "
hate to ask you to learn a new language but where you aim would be more easy to understand to us billiard enthusiasts
:D
just sayin:smile:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
what you call diamond 6 is really diamond 2 for those who use the "corner 5 system "
hate to ask you to learn a new language but where you aim would be more easy to understand to us billiard enthusiasts
:D
just sayin:smile:

you are correct. All the numbering is new to me.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So it plays like a Blue Label Diamond with Artemis Cushions. Happy to hear you got it all straightened out! :)

Trent

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
So it plays like a Blue Label Diamond with Artemis Cushions. Happy to hear you got it all straightened out! :)

Trent

Right now it plays like that Diamond except it's almost one table length slower. That could be because of the blue cloth and how it was stretched. I didn't see much if any differences in the rail action between the Artimus and my Superspeed cushions. I've played on some Diamond red label tables where the cushions seems like they were electric, like a pin ball machine or something. The Artimus cushions were nothing like that.
I can't wait to see the differences before Glen and after Glen.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Joey fails to understand as well as everyone else is that banking diagram is for a billiards table where banking is critical in which thinner cloth, bigger balls, higher density cushions, and heated slates are in use. Humidity, cloth, balls, cushions, level of table....ALL play a role in how tables play different from each other, even rail construction, thickness of slate, how many bolts a rail has effects the outcome of the banks. That diagram is a guide, not the bible of how a POOL table is suppose to play. Even how .any hours of play on the cloth changes everything about how a pool table plays, we don't even want to get into how clean the table is. Wake up people, even billiards tables don't play as perfect as that diagram indicates they should. ONE rail banks is the true test of how a POOL table banks. Ask yourselves how many times do you ba k a ball on a pool table more than ONE RAIL?

Yes all billiard table play different. If you're fortunate enough to go to Carom Cafe right before the Verhoeven Tournament where all the tables have been re-covered, each table will be slightly different. Slightly.

I have never seen a pool table in a pool hall play to the diagram. That's maybe mostly because most pool halls NEVER clean their tables. If they do, its not often enough. Oh ya the balls need maintenance too and need to be replaced every so often. Sooner than 5 years!

The comments of hitting diamond 2 and coming to 3 to the corner is what I've seen and = bad playing conditions. But for the most part these things are equal on pool tables and rarely does someone bank a CB 3 rails first to pocket a ball. Another reason the pool hall owner doesn't get grief.

If you walk away from a few games and your hand is filthy with chalk ....
complain to the management, not the mechanic.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
The comments of hitting diamond 2 and coming to 3 to the corner is what I've seen and = bad playing conditions. But for the most part these things are equal on pool tables and rarely does someone bank a CB 3 rails first to pocket a ball. Another reason the pool hall owner doesn't get grief.

After my opponent has played a safety or my own screw up on shape and I'm hooked, I look for a modified three rail path or a 2 or 4 rail path to hit the object ball. I find it's easier and more consistent than a one rail kick unless the OB is near a rail and easy to hit. But, I have a teacher that teaches this and doesn't own or believe in jump cues.