Split Hit

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
While I agree that using the reaction of the cue ball as an accurate indicator of which ball was hit first... every time I have ever tried to explain that to someone after I judged a shot I have gotten a glassy-eyed 'Huh?' followed closely by pointed look saying 'Whatever nerd' :smile:

Many don't understand. I had to deal with one last week. We were playing call shot 8 ball. My opponent asked if he could use my ball. I said yes thinking he was asking about a carom. Then he called his shot & I said, 'wait a minute, you can't hit my ball first.' He said 'I'm not, I'm going to split them'. I said you still have to hit your bal first'. I explained what the resulting CB path would indicate. He missed the shot as it was nearly impossible without hitting my ball first.

However, explaining before hand, killed any possible disagreement. I suggest that that be done whenever possible, which is not always easy to do as some shoot too quickly, I think on purpose when those situations exsist.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I actually don't trust "Results-oriented" foul arguments, and prefer a simple "did you see the foul happen or not"... sometimes, you can get similar results with both a good and bad hit.

For example, in this example, I'm kicking off the head rail. The one moves along the kitchen line. The shooter says "good hit. I had to hit the one first, I thinly cut it and that's why it moved sideways along the kitchen line." Another guy says "no, the one moved because you hit the 5 first then caromed into the side of the 1. That's why the 1 moved sideways."

Some railbird pipes up "yeah but the cue ball went towards the 9. It must have hit the 5 last if it ended up travelling in that direction." ...another one says "yeah but maybe it hit the 5 and was heading more towards the side pocket, then barely grazed the 1 after and that send it more towards the 9."

Then you get into an argument about how far the 1 would have travelled on a thin cut vs. a glancing carom, and it's a huge mess.

So I just stick to... "did you 100% see me foul? No? OK sit back down."

sb1Ew.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually don't trust "Results-oriented" foul arguments, and prefer a simple "did you see the foul happen or not"... sometimes, you often can get similar results with both a good and bad hit.

For example, in this example, I'm kicking off the head rail. The one moves along the kitchen line. ...
Yes, that's a tricky situation. My feeling is that if the shooter fails to call someone over to watch, it is marginally unsportsmanlike conduct. I've had an opponent who in a similar situation shot hard and fast to make it impossible to see from order of contact whether it was a good hit. The shot was obviously a foul from the result. Fortunately the room owner was watching and understood what the guy was pulling.